DIY Honor Boxes?

BevNerd

Has anyone ever made their own honor snack boxes? I see them online, but I don't need 25 of them.

I have a friend who works at an office that just had their snack machine picked up because it had too many out of date snacks in it. However, they would be interested in a very small sized machine or a snack box.

I've never had one before, and I was just wondering what's the risk of having product not being paid for?

I would feel more comfortable with a small mechanical machine, but people have said you might as well just try an honor box. With the mechanicals, they have a lot of jams, hard to change prices, cost more and when product vends out, you cannot see the remaining product as well.

I am pretty sure this is the same company and style that dogcow uses and he seems to like them. They are a bit smaller than some but they are cheap and should give you some idea as to what a location should do.

52csi8.png

heres mine, its the box from cameron packaging i make the backstop from sams club leftover cardboard boxes

they need to be replaced now and then. people will bend the backstop up and what not.

ive found a lot of places wouldnt take a bigger box if you need bigger hot

glue together 2 of them with a cardboard under it to stabilize

This is a pic of my boxes. They are 16x16 boxes that I got from Walmart (and there are other sizes too). You can make 2 boxes out of one box, and use the extra box pieces from the middle for the dividers. I covered them with Contact paper in a black/white granite print. The sign was printed on 5x8 index cards (the bigger size) and laminated with clear contact paper. I also put a tiny label on the back declaring who the owner of the box is on the back that has my phone number on it just in case. I got everything to make them from Walmart.

Ok, there is supposed to be a pic of my boxes, but it's only coming thru as half a pic as a thumbnail. Any clues?

This is a pic of my boxes. They are 16x16 boxes that I got from Walmart (and there are other sizes too). You can make 2 boxes out of one box, and use the extra box pieces from the middle for the dividers. I covered them with Contact paper in a black/white granite print. The sign was printed on 5x8 index cards (the bigger size) and laminated with clear contact paper. I also put a tiny label on the back declaring who the owner of the box is on the back that has my phone number on it just in case. I got everything to make them from Walmart.

Ok, there is supposed to be a pic of my boxes, but it's only coming thru as half a pic as a thumbnail. Any clues?

use http://tinypic.com/

copy the link it says for "forums and message boards" and just paste it here

it will look like ...

Any chance if getting a better pic of the sign? Dog how how many of these do yoh run ?

ill get you one later today, i had 30 at one time but ive cut

it down to the best 15 due to time constraints

theres a place i heard about in NJ that has about 8500 out

use http://tinypic.com/

copy the link it says for "forums and message boards" and just paste it here

it will look like ...

ill get you one later today, i had 30 at one time but ive cut

it down to the best 15 due to time constraints

theres a place i heard about in NJ that has about 8500 out

I've run across a few places that have asked for small vending machines, but like the original poster I don't think it's worth it. But, honor boxes.....cheap and simple. Dogcow - what is your experience with theft of money, product or both? If I went ahead with this idea, is it really something that can work? Do you think a sticker or something on there that partial profits go to charity helps (sales and against theft)?

I've run across a few places that have asked for small vending machines, but like the original poster I don't think it's worth it. But, honor boxes.....cheap and simple. Dogcow - what is your experience with theft of money, product or both? If I went ahead with this idea, is it really something that can work? Do you think a sticker or something on there that partial profits go to charity helps (sales and against theft)?

my avg theft ( or "shrinkage" ) never went much above 20% i cut all the places

that were over 10% average recently so now its next to nothing. Money was only stolen twice, in one case a customer stole the entire box and ran away, the store owner reimbursed me for it. In the other case a customer stole the money i added a zip tie to the coin door and it never happened again.

if you have a good relationship with the shop it will be low, if it exceeds 40% avg pull the box.

there are no charities that will let you put a sticker on a cardboard honor box, only acrylic. if you are doing that you are violating the charity rules. i do not like charity vending, i do not find its needed to get good locations. It may reduce theft but i also

find it leaves too many questions and may lead to the impression you are collecting 100% for charity. I have been asked if i am with a charity i am upfront that it is 100% a for-profit business.

for the shrinkage , i charge $1 for all items, my avg COGS is 12% so i could lose 40% of the product and still make a decent profit.

My 15 boxes avg about $400 a month gross (together), subtract 12% for goods..takes about 1hr to do them all and maybe 20min to set up the boxes at home.

my avg theft ( or "shrinkage" ) never went much above 20% i cut all the places

that were over 10% average recently so now its next to nothing. Money was only stolen twice, in one case a customer stole the entire box and ran away, the store owner reimbursed me for it. In the other case a customer stole the money i added a zip tie to the coin door and it never happened again.

if you have a good relationship with the shop it will be low, if it exceeds 40% avg pull the box.

there are no charities that will let you put a sticker on a cardboard honor box, only acrylic. if you are doing that you are violating the charity rules. i do not like charity vending, i do not find its needed to get good locations. It may reduce theft but i also

find it leaves too many questions and may lead to the impression you are collecting 100% for charity. I have been asked if i am with a charity i am upfront that it is 100% a for-profit business.

for the shrinkage , i charge $1 for all items, my avg COGS is 12% so i could lose 40% of the product and still make a decent profit.

My 15 boxes avg about $400 a month gross (together), subtract 12% for goods..takes about 1hr to do them all and maybe 20min to set up the boxes at home.

Hmm, good info. Thanks. Nice to hear from someone actually doing it. I can see how it would be real easy as I already have the product, just a matter of putting it in the boxes.

I assume though that 12% COGS number is higher? Candy bars are 55 cents, chips are 22cents, pastries 44 cents. I would think it's more like 35% or 65 cent profit per sale. Was I reading it wrong?

Last questions - you probably go once a month to fill or should it be every couple of weeks just in case someone is pilfering?

Thanks for the info

Ok, try #2 for the pic :)

4vr1wy.jpg

that looks great!

Hmm, good info. Thanks. Nice to hear from someone actually doing it. I can see how it would be real easy as I already have the product, just a matter of putting it in the boxes.

I assume though that 12% COGS number is higher? Candy bars are 55 cents, chips are 22cents, pastries 44 cents. I would think it's more like 35% or 65 cent profit per sale. Was I reading it wrong?

Last questions - you probably go once a month to fill or should it be every couple of weeks just in case someone is pilfering?

Thanks for the info

well not sure where you are , costs are lower in my area for example lays 1oz is about 19 cents for me. but i am computing the average cogs for the entire box , i only put a small # of chocolate/pastries unless the acct is a solid payer. In one case i put only pastries but they pay 100% for almost a year.

i do a service every 2-3wks...it depends on the volume at the acct and getting the hang of it, at first every 2wks on schedule i will go to 3wks once i get an idea of what sells. because u have less capacity getting the mix right matters more

Archived