Triple Vend trouble

Crimson Tide

A few weeks ago, I ordered a used "Triple Vend Candy & Gumball Vending Machine" off of Amazon. The machine had some cosmetic issues, but seemed otherwise to be a reasonable purchase for $145. I loaded the machine with product - gumballs in the middle container, Skittles and PM&Ms on each side. I adjusted the candy wheels to vend a desirable amount of product. I tested the coin mechanisms, each one twice. Everything worked fine. So, last Sunday night, I put the machine on location.

Yesterday, I went back to the business (a diner) to add some more gumballs. When I got to the diner, I decided to check the money box first as the Skittles seemed lower than I would have expected after just one week on location. On opening the panel at the back of the machine to access the money, Skittles starting falling out all over the floor. I had no adequate container with me catch all of this "leaking" product. I shut the money compartment as quickly as I could and locked it again. I then picked up the Skittles off of the floor, putting them hurriedly into a small ziplock baggy, which I had brought for the purpose of holding collected coins. In the meantime, diner patrons were coming and going in great volume through the area of the spill. People were saying things like, "Wow, free candy for everybody." LOL. The manager on duty (fortunately for me, not the same one who authorized the placement of the machine in the first place) went to get a broom.

Long story short, after cleaning up the mess I bailed on the whole situation, just left with the fouled up machine still on location. The diner was far too crowed for me to do anything at all with the machine in terms of further examination or repair. Even pulling the machine was, in that moment, out of the question due to the flow of foot traffic and the manager's scowls.

This diner - if I can salvage the situation - will probably prove to be my best location to date. I really don't want to lose this account. My plan for fixing all of this is to buy a NEW machine, as similar to the malfunctioning one as possible (I have already placed an order for this machine, another Triple), load the new machine with the same product as in the malfunctioning one, go to the diner late at night - say near mid-night - when it will not be so crowded, and do a swap out of the two machines.

I welcome comments (laughter too.

A few weeks ago, I ordered a used "Triple Vend Candy & Gumball Vending Machine" off of Amazon. The machine had some cosmetic issues, but seemed otherwise to be a reasonable purchase for $145. I loaded the machine with product - gumballs in the middle container, Skittles and PM&Ms on each side. I adjusted the candy wheels to vend a desirable amount of product. I tested the coin mechanisms, each one twice. Everything worked fine. So, last Sunday night, I put the machine on location.

Yesterday, I went back to the business (a diner) to add some more gumballs. When I got to the diner, I decided to check the money box first as the Skittles seemed lower than I would have expected after just one week on location. On opening the panel at the back of the machine to access the money, Skittles starting falling out all over the floor. I had no adequate container with me catch all of this "leaking" product. I shut the money compartment as quickly as I could and locked it again. I then picked up the Skittles off of the floor, putting them hurriedly into a small ziplock baggy, which I had brought for the purpose of holding collected coins. In the meantime, diner patrons were coming and going in great volume through the area of the spill. People were saying things like, "Wow, free candy for everybody." LOL. The manager on duty (fortunately for me, not the same one who authorized the placement of the machine in the first place) went to get a broom.

Long story short, after cleaning up the mess I bailed on the whole situation, just left with the fouled up machine still on location. The diner was far too crowed for me to do anything at all with the machine in terms of further examination or repair. Even pulling the machine was, in that moment, out of the question due to the flow of foot traffic and the manager's scowls.

This diner - if I can salvage the situation - will probably prove to be my best location to date. I really don't want to lose this account. My plan for fixing all of this is to buy a NEW machine, as similar to the malfunctioning one as possible (I have already placed an order for this machine, another Triple), load the new machine with the same product as in the malfunctioning one, go to the diner late at night - say near mid-night - when it will not be so crowded, and do a swap out of the two machines.

I welcome comments (laughter too.

I can only immagine how terrible you were feeling as this all played out. I often run different scenarios through my mind and just last week decided to place a broom and dustpan in my vending vehicle as I can see needing one at some point and do not want to have to ask the location to find me one. I want to go in and be prepared for whatever happens, as if it can happen, it eventually will happen. We all learn as we go and try to prevent the situation from happening again.

I would make a point to tell the manager of the issue and how you immediately ordered a new machine to keep this from being an issue for them in the furure. They always like to know you are taking care of them. I would also do asap as you do not know if anyone is even gettting any skittles for their quarters. Even if you have to place at a busy time, I would want to get right one it.

You truely get what you pay for, triple vends are the worst kind of machine you can buy. If i were you i would buy the more expensive northwestern triple play (248.00 at sams) Or order a machine from A & A Global.

The big wigs dont waste there time with poor quality machines, and neither should you!

Thanks for all the replies. My first order of business is to salvage the account. I've not received a call from the diner since the spillage incident, so I assume that the machine is still vending correctly. The new triple that I ordered should arrive in a couple of days. I'll figure out what went wrong with used machine after I've done the swap out.

Some tripples have I little plastic slide on the bottom back of the vend wheel. For the purpose of draining candy. The slide may have worked loose and came out. What kind of tripple is it?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

This is exactly what the problem turned out to be. I went to the diner this morning and opened the machine out in the parking lot. The machine is a LYPC Triple Shop. The plastic slide that you mentioned had worked loose and fallen out, causing most of the Skittles to drain out of the canister. But, all is well now. I pulled $23.25 from the machine after 12 days on-site, so this diner is going to be a good location. The business has no idea that the machine ever had a mechanical failure. I swapped out the original LYPC machine with another, new triple.

When I use the LYPC again, I'm going to tape the little plastic "floor" devices down.

Thanks!

Archived