Honor boxes question

thevendingbutler

Hello everyone. I'm getting ready to start an honor box vending business and I was just wondering what the percentage is of businesses saying yes to allowing you to put honor boxes in their location. Also on average how far do you have to drive between locations?

you want to try to get them as close as possible. industrial parks and strip malls are your bread and butter.

as far as what % of businesses, well that depends on your sales ability. its very hit and miss some businesses have corporate policy against them. These are mostly banks don't bother with BB&T, PNC, suntrust. However Wells-Fargo and B of A will take them. You can place them just about anywhere you see a gumball machine except restaurants, in fact a gumball machine is a good sign they will take a box.

The kind of locations that do well for me

"Nail Spa" / Barber Shops

Auto body/mechanics/tire

Walk-in Clinic

some retail like UPS store , sherwin williams

my placement rate is about 1 in 25 , i had a locator do some for me at first, to show me what places do good and learn the pitch he can place 15 before lunch, but hes been doing honor boxes for 30yrs.

Also recently i changed to a more high stress job. I did not have a lot of time to do servicing. So i cut everything down to just the money locations. solid payers, solid volume. I had 3 accounts next to eachother. I cut 2 of them because 1 was always short and the other was too slow. Its not worth my time to make the box and rotate the product to collect 5 bucks.

Thanks for your input Dogcow. I just have a question though. You said that on the average 1 in 25 business will say yes. You also said that strip malls and industrial parks are the "bread and butter" but I would think that most strip malls and industrial parks don't even have as many as 25 businesses in them. So if on the average, you would be lucky to even get 1 location in an industrial park or a strip mall, can you please explain to me how they are the "bread and butter" or am I missing something here?

Thanks for your input Dogcow. I just have a question though. You said that on the average 1 in 25 business will say yes. You also said that strip malls and industrial parks are the "bread and butter" but I would think that most strip malls and industrial parks don't even have as many as 25 businesses in them. So if on the average, you would be lucky to even get 1 location in an industrial park or a strip mall, can you please explain to me how they are the "bread and butter" or am I missing something here?

Its simple. You have to find many many many strip malls, and many many many business parks.

There is a niche for honor box vending in business parks because there are few options for the workers to find snacks to eat. Although, I've seen one or two business parks that had a resident deli that would cater to mostly the other workers of the business park.

Plus, most business park businesses are very small, with just a handful of employees, which usually prohibits them from attracting the attention of the full line and soda venders.

I've never done honor box vending, but I've worked at a few industrial parks, so take this with a grain of salt.

Industrial parks have many dozens of businesses surely in your town you have an area which is like a warehouse district with many auto body shops ,hvac, and so on clustered around eachother. A lot of times they are by municipal airports. Also I dont know where you live but here in florida strip malls run all down the main roads. so if you get a nail spa in one strip mall, you might get a UPS store in the next one or across the street. So you can just park the car and walk. Also medical parks are like this most medical offices are clustered together near a hospital.

Also when I say 1 in 25 that doesnt mean you cant go back. Sometimes you will go out and visit 25 places and a lot of them the owner manager isnt there so you keep moving along. The locator will just leave it with an employee and ask them to check with the manager later but the fact of the matter is most of the time you will get kicked out of those locations anyway so to me its just not worth even bothering.

Its simple. You have to find many many many strip malls, and many many many business parks.

There is a niche for honor box vending in business parks because there are few options for the workers to find snacks to eat. Although, I've seen one or two business parks that had a resident deli that would cater to mostly the other workers of the business park.

Plus, most business park businesses are very small, with just a handful of employees, which usually prohibits them from attracting the attention of the full line and soda venders.

I've never done honor box vending, but I've worked at a few industrial parks, so take this with a grain of salt.

This is also true, basically anywhere small businesses are clustered together. The thinking is really no different than what I imagine you do when locating bulk candy machines.

Archived