It finally happened!

agrantha

Yesterday was a good day. I went to service a single head gumball machine. I pulled out $99.25. The machine was there for 2 months. I even found my first silver 1943 quarter. Today I went to service another single head bulk machine. It was gone. I spoke with the manager. He apologized but said he saw nothing. He only knows the machine was low on product. I bet I had at least $80.00 in that machine.

Lesson learned: Never place your machine in the foyer. Some may say never let your machine run low on product because that tells thieves there is a lot of money in the machine. Some may also say singles are small and easy to steal. Now I have to pay NCCS at least up until the end of the year for the sticker. I am currently in the process of obtaining a police report.

Once I get all the bulk candy machines out of my garage onto locations that will be it for bulk candy machines. I will gradually convert to combo drink snack machines. They are a little harder to walk out with.

If it's any consolation, I got a call yesterday from my 2nd best location and was asked to remove my stuff. It's a 6-way rack that does about $150/mo. It's a frozen yogurt shop, and they've decided they want to install some video games. There's lots of room in the place, and I can't for the life of me figure out why they would want to give up some free money.

If it's any consolation, I got a call yesterday from my 2nd best location and was asked to remove my stuff. It's a 6-way rack that does about $150/mo. It's a frozen yogurt shop, and they've decided they want to install some video games. There's lots of room in the place, and I can't for the life of me figure out why they would want to give up some free money.

Dperry

You have the hardest chin in the business :-)

What happened to me today would not have bothered you at all. I want to be like you someday. Today I was a little rattled, but my chin will get tougher in time. Dperry you will have a great story to tell someday. I don't know if I would of quit by now if I had gone through some of the challenges you have. I really admire your will.

Dperry

You have the hardest chin in the business :-)

Oh believe me, it hurts. The upside is I recently got a new location that is asking for more equipment, so now I don't have to buy new stuff right away, since I can move the one rack to the new location. The downside is this new place is brand new, so I he has no clientele as yet, and he wants candy as well as toys. The odd thing is, it's right smack dab in the same location as one of my former locations. One moved out, and another moved in, and now I'm back into the old location. It's the same type of business too; a Vietnamese bun, pho and tea restaurant.

"Some may say never let your machine run low on product because that tells thieves there is a lot of money in the machine."

Excellent point. I hear a lot of operators emphasize stretching stops to save on gas and labor. But this is one of several reasons to not get too carried away with that strategy.

Welcome to the club. Had machines stolen, broken into, vandalized by an internal thief and then the location give me the boot as if it was my fault they have a thief working for them. The silver is the good part.

Dperry Could you down size it and keep your three best sellers?

That ones gotta hurt

Dperry Could you down size it and keep your three best sellers?

Good news. It wasn't my best place that called me up to remove it. It was a different place. It only does So-so and I have competition in there with mine. So no big deal after all.

• 1 year later...

Yesterday was a good day. I went to service a single head gumball machine. I pulled out $99.25. The machine was there for 2 months. I even found my first silver 1943 quarter. Today I went to service another single head bulk machine. It was gone. I spoke with the manager. He apologized but said he saw nothing. He only knows the machine was low on product. I bet I had at least $80.00 in that machine.

Lesson learned: Never place your machine in the foyer. Some may say never let your machine run low on product because that tells thieves there is a lot of money in the machine. Some may also say singles are small and easy to steal. Now I have to pay NCCS at least up until the end of the year for the sticker. I am currently in the process of obtaining a police report.

Once I get all the bulk candy machines out of my garage onto locations that will be it for bulk candy machines. I will gradually convert to combo drink snack machines. They are a little harder to walk out with.

Agrantha,

Check out the Full Line forum before you jump into combo machines - they're considered a "no go" by most of the experienced vendors. You'll find a lot of good info over there

Congrats on the numbers! That's fantastic, especially for a single head!! I'd want to upgrade immediately, but maybe whatever you were selling was exactly what they wanted. Sorry to hear about the stolen machine. That sucks, but I'd replace it anyways. You could try chaining your machines. Some of my locations, I put 2 units sitting next to each other and chain them together. It discourages stealing them because it'd be difficult to drag one behind you. A single is lightweight so it's simple to lift with one hand and casually walk out. Try securing them to something. Also: congrats on the silver quarter!! I look through every quarter I collect, but have yet to find one in a candy machine, so that's awesome!

Archived