machine will not cool enough

atw12

I have a soda machine that will not cool the drinks enough, drinks get slightly cool, just not cold, compressor, evaporator fan, condenser fan and thermostat all appear to be working. Ice will build up on the condenser so I assume that means it has enough coolant. If there was no coolant it wouldn't get cold enough to form ice. Not sure where to go next, any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

I have a soda machine that will not cool the drinks enough, drinks get slightly cool, just not cold, compressor, evaporator fan, condenser fan and thermostat all appear to be working. Ice will build up on the condenser so I assume that means it has enough coolant. If there was no coolant it wouldn't get cold enough to form ice. Not sure where to go next, any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

does it ice all the way across or just a bit on the lefthand side? if it doesnt ice all the way across coolant might be low. if its icing up at all that could indicate a bad t-stat or a poor door seal

im casting my vote for low on gas, but technivend could definitely say better

ive been battling these issues recently so i have some familiarity with what can cause it. Make sure the door gets a really good seal and ur delivery door isnt sticking open

if its cycling then the thermostat probably works.

Do a search for tissue. You will see a couple of posts about using a tissue to test you refer system. I am leaning towards the system being a little low on gas. The ice on the side (Dixie would be on the right top) means that the refrigerant is probably expanding into a gas before it exits the cap tube. This mean it is getting cold in the wrong spot and it wil kinda refrigerate but not properly. So try the tissue trick and let us know what happened.

Do a search for tissue. You will see a couple of posts about using a tissue to test you refer system. I am leaning towards the system being a little low on gas. The ice on the side (Dixie would be on the right top) means that the refrigerant is probably expanding into a gas before it exits the cap tube. This mean it is getting cold in the wrong spot and it wil kinda refrigerate but not properly. So try the tissue trick and let us know what happened.

haha got my left and right mixed up!

ok, tissue has been stuck to the fins for 4 hours, has not fallen. it is now icing all the way across. the drinks are actually colder than they have been in months. not sure what is going on, should i be concerned that my compressor never stops?

thanks,

It really shouldn't take more then two hours to cool down the machine. Four hours seems much to long. It does sound like it may be your refer unit is low on gas but the icing you keep speaking of shouldn't show up to quickly if it is low. Have you checked that the door gaskets are good and the door flap isn't missing? It almost sounds as if you have a major air leak keeping the machine from getting cold and icing over. Is the door closing tight?

ok, tissue has been stuck to the fins for 4 hours, has not fallen. it is now icing all the way across. the drinks are actually colder than they have been in months. not sure what is going on, should i be concerned that my compressor never stops?

thanks,

swap the thermostat it will cost you ~ 10 bucks also make sure te probe is positioned good

if that doesnt work ,get someone out there to fill it up with gas

hopefully you have a valve, if the unit is old it may be sealed and you will have to buy a new unit.

gaskets all look good which doesn't mean they are, but they really look fairly new despite being an older unit. Door flap is there. Door closes tight and is very solid. I'm going to swap the thermostat and see what happens. it is a closed system, i would rather not put in a piercing valve as that can just lead to leaks later, will replace gaskets and thermostat before replacing the refer system.

thanks for all your help.

gaskets all look good which doesn't mean they are, but they really look fairly new despite being an older unit. Door flap is there. Door closes tight and is very solid. I'm going to swap the thermostat and see what happens. it is a closed system, i would rather not put in a piercing valve as that can just lead to leaks later, will replace gaskets and thermostat before replacing the refer system.

thanks for all your help.

Good decision on not entering the system unless absolutely required

Archived