What to look for when buying used machines?

I have decided to buy some used machines and try my hand at vending. I have seen several ads on CL in my area that look promising but since I am new and learning, I do not know what to look for as far a wear and tear on the mechanical aspect of the machine. I realize that each manufacturer has its weak points as far as wear so I will stick to the ones that interest me. Basically I see alot of Dixie-Narco soda's for sale. From what I have read, they seem to be the most plentiful and widely used. If I go look at a used machine, what are the main parts I should be concerned with as far as being worn out? Assuming that the machine is functional and operating correctly at the time of my inspection.

Thanks.

The most expensive part will be the refigeration system. So make sure it gets cold. You could spend a couple of hours testing everything, but depending on the price and if you get a warranty the compressor is the most important part.

I have decided to buy some used machines and try my hand at vending. I have seen several ads on CL in my area that look promising but since I am new and learning, I do not know what to look for as far a wear and tear on the mechanical aspect of the machine. I realize that each manufacturer has its weak points as far as wear so I will stick to the ones that interest me. Basically I see alot of Dixie-Narco soda's for sale. From what I have read, they seem to be the most plentiful and widely used. If I go look at a used machine, what are the main parts I should be concerned with as far as being worn out? Assuming that the machine is functional and operating correctly at the time of my inspection.

Thanks.

if it comes with a coin mech and validator bring a roll of nickels and some cans of soda

if you want to test those. If it doesnt you wont be able to test much except the motors and the cooling system. Ask for them to turn it on before you get there so it cools down.

I test all the motors (manually with the switches under the motor cover) and i will vend ot test the vend relay is working. If it doesnt have a mech I bring my own to test that. I subtract the cost of any missing parts (mech/validator,etc..) from my offer on the machine

good luck

if it comes with a coin mech and validator bring a roll of nickels and some cans of soda

if you want to test those. If it doesnt you wont be able to test much except the motors and the cooling system. Ask for them to turn it on before you get there so it cools down.

I test all the motors (manually with the switches under the motor cover) and i will vend ot test the vend relay is working. If it doesnt have a mech I bring my own to test that. I subtract the cost of any missing parts (mech/validator,etc..) from my offer on the machine

good luck

just out of curiosity, why just nickels as opposed to quarters and dimes? Realistically, what would be the oldest that a machine could be (years?) and still provide a professional appearance?

just out of curiosity, why just nickels as opposed to quarters and dimes? Realistically, what would be the oldest that a machine could be (years?) and still provide a professional appearance?

the coin mech sets the "exact change" light based on the level of the nickel coint tube sensor. If the machine has low/empty nickels the bill validator will not accept any bills. The status of the other tubes doesn't matter. It also wont accept money if all of the sold out switches are engaged. so you need product in at least one column (or hold down the sold out paddle but that can be tricky). Also if you are testing a multi-price machine you might have to engage the door interlock switch either manually or by closing the door after adding change to reset the motherboard before it will clear the exact-change light.

it depends what kind of location you are putting it at, and what you want to vend. If you are in a warehouse floor and vending cans only, you can probably get away with any machine that has a validator cut out, really, as long as its not really beat to hell.

A nicer location you can still get away with an old machine like a flat front or a bubble front but you will have to make it look a bit nicer new coat of paint, maybe new buttons and vinyl (if it has woodgrain stuff on the front). depending on the location and visibility.

Mainly the thing is what do you want to vend. Most people suggest getting multiprice bottle machines. This will give you the most versatility because you can vend cans, bottles, energy drinks,etc.. a wide variety of package set up and set the different price points. Even if the location you have in mind only takes cans, you have the flexibility to move the machine later and set it up a different way. Multi-price machines will cost you more though between $800-1,000 is not unreasonable. Also the coin mechs will be a little more expensive and harder to come by than the single price mechs.

Also if you are going to get a multi price machine stay away from the MPC model from dixie narco they are not reliable and the motherboards are hard to find in working condition.

Do you have locations yet? If not then why are you buying macghines first? Unless you are getting great deals on machines I wouldnt buy machines before figuring out possible locations and an overall business plan.

If you find some great deals then that may be another story but you need a plan first 99% of the time and not machines first.

Do you have locations yet? If not then why are you buying macghines first? Unless you are getting great deals on machines I wouldnt buy machines before figuring out possible locations and an overall business plan.

If you find some great deals then that may be another story but you need a plan first 99% of the time and not machines first.

No, I have not purchased any machines yet nor do I have any locations. That why I am here starting to ask questions. Thru networking with friends and family, I do have some promising possibilities. Everything is in the knowledge and networking phase. This is just the first step for me in the process. My primary business (professional photography) does very well for me, so spending a few hundred dollars here and there on what I believe to be "deals" is not a problem for me. I rather have a machine or two to familiarize myself with the inner workings than to set up a client and have no idea how the machines internals work.

Believe me, I will not buy any high dollar machines just because I think it is a good idea. I want to be armed with knowledge before I place a single machine.

Archived