vendo vmax problem

jerry1973

Hi everyone, I have a vendo v-max (630 I think it is) anyhow, went to service today, and multiple people are saying that it is taking their money. They say that sometimes it gives 2 and sometimes they hear something "fall" inside, but get no soda. I tested everything and everything seems to be working fine. I double checked the cam settings and made sure the gauge bars were straight and clips were on. I bought the clips just a couple months ago new from AZVendor. Is there anything I should check? vend motors?? ideas? 

Make sure your gage bars are straight and not bent.  You'll have to remove each one and sight down it to see if they are bent.  Replace any that are bent.  Also make sure you have the gage bars installed in the proper slots of the stack assembly front and back and that they are the same slots front and back and set for the specific products.  Then make sure you have the proper side shims for the specific products.  Additionally, if you have removed any motors, you might have installed them 180 deg. out of time.  This could explain the double vending (the double vend columns are definitely set up wrong).

I suppose I should ask the obvious question of "did you prime the columns so that after you left there were products in position to vend?"  The sounds they may be hearing could be the cans reloading into the columns for the first time.

I havent actually take the gauge bars out to inspect them individually, because it is full of soda, but I will if the problems persist. I have never taken any of the motors out and I set the gauge bars and the plastic cams in the proper positions according to the instructions in the manual and on the door. The problem is mainly that when I am there, everything works perfectly, but then I leave and come back a week later and several people complain of malfunctions. I just wish it would do it when im there so I could get an idea of whats happening. And yes its definitely primed and ready to vend. 

now that i think about it, I suppose the machine being full of soda wouldn't hinder the removal and inspection of the gauge bars. I am starting to get the feeling that a bent gauge bar is the problem. The complaints are only happening with 1-2 columns and the rest seem to be trouble free. 

If only one or two columns have the problem then I would suspect the gage bars.  Yes, you will only have a maximum of 4 cans or two bottles laying on the gage bars when you take them out.  If you can't see any flex in those gage bars then vend the heck out of those columns so you might experience the problem.  You can manually do this by opening the door and, through the hole in the motor cover in front of those selections, you can lift the motor switch arm out of its notch, then press the door interlock switch momentarily and the machine will run those motors one vend.  Make sure you catch the products and after each vend, especially after the front product vends, try to pull a product out as if it was slipping out to see if there is too much room.  If your gage bars aren't bent then you might have motors that have skipped a gear and are slightly out of time. 

If you need gage bars or vend motors to fix this let me know and I can ship some to you.

What product are you vending in those two selections? On a vendo 720 don't try to vend 4 deep on cans they will hang up on the fourth one and won't slide out causing it to jam. 

I take the gauge bar out and find a straight edge on the side of the machine to see if they are straight. They are weak and will bend easy if they jam. Also make sure you have the correct clips and placed on the gauge bar in the correct place. Should be a diagram on the inner door. For 12 oz cans you should have 2 white... For 20 oz 1 Black with what we call a clover leaf on the end. If vending Gatorade take a knife and cut the clover off making it just the black clip. The clover will hold the bottle up just enough to cause jams.

Make sure the delivery chute is clean. Vendo didn't make a very good chute. If the chute is a 2 part (plastic over sheet metal) the plastic gets deformed and won't let the bottles slide down. The new ones are 1 piece plastic and work very well. Also make sure that the chute has been installed correctly. If someone has taken it out they may not have reinstalled it right. There are two metal tabs at the back of the chute that are inserted in a slot at the back just under the stack.  Usually you can tell from the mounting screws at the front. If the chute isn't in the correct position the mounting bracket on the chute will be bent. Screws were forced into position bending it because it isn't in place. This buckles the chute and causes the rear of the chute to be higher than normal and then the product won't fall. Also do not store product under the chute. Some people will put product underneath and push one side of the chute up causing it to not slide. Also storing product underneath impedes proper air circulation and may cause the evaporator to freeze over. 

Thanks everyone for your replies, you all are very helpful as usual. 

RMorris, I am vending 12 oz cans out of the offending selection(s). I went by the directions on the door and in the vendo manual to set it up, and they are 3 deep. Like I said, everything works perfectly when im there. I will definitely use your advise of using a straight edge as a reference when checking the gage bars. I have never inspected the chute, but as said every time i have tested, it worked flawlessly.

I also suspicion that there is not a problem at all. The machine is in a drug rehab center for woman and are court ordered to be there for certain lengths of time. They are a little more predisposed to criminal thinking than average I would think. The only reason that I am putting such effort into testing the machine is because multiple residents are saying the exact same thing. 

take a picture;  

1) all four sides of all your gage bars to ENSURE those 2 plastic white clips are installed correctly

2) take a pic of your motors-close up if possible-I want to ensure you have those cams lined up for 3 or 4 vends

3) take a pic of the drop chute, especially the rear back left and right corners

4) take a pic of the chute itself (top )

5) take a pic of the drop chute front-where it affixes to the front of the machine-I need to see the two screws

6) vend each column 7 times!

7) take a pic of the gage bars installed at the back and front of the machine!

B) take a pic of the side spacer

B) thanks

Hi everyone, I have a vendo v-max (630 I think it is) anyhow, went to service today, and multiple people are saying that it is taking their money. They say that sometimes it gives 2 and sometimes they hear something "fall" inside, but get no soda. I tested everything and everything seems to be working fine. I double checked the cam settings and made sure the gauge bars were straight and clips were on. I bought the clips just a couple months ago new from AZVendor. Is there anything I should check? vend motors?? ideas? 

They are hearing the can drop and no product.... Then someone gets two ..... Two things! Back to the chute ........... It is either dirty, not installed correctly... Or that chute is a 2 piece and is deformed, at the back .

One other thing is the delivery door. If that door has any syrup on it, It may not be opening every time.... When you are test vending are you doing it with the door open or closed?

If you are doing it with the door open then the delivery door isn't being tested. If you do some with the door open and then close the door then any build up of sticky syrup on the delivery door now has warmed up and isn't as sticky as it would be if the temp on that door was 36 degrees.

On the first and last selection when the 3rd can drops that angle on the chute has almost no angle and the cans don't slide down very well. It needs to be very clean. Scrub it clean from top to bottom. Then spray it with either  silicon or teflon. 

Usually when a gauge bar is bent the product gets jammed. Once it is jammed it stays jammed. From your description you are not seeing any jams.

95% of the service calls I make can be diagnosed under 5 minutes. If after 15 to 30 minutes if you haven't found the problem step back, go do something else and think about it. When you get frustrated your thinking process is hampered and then you make mistakes or keep doing the same thing over and over.

My money is on the chute or delivery door. Like Chris said try to get some good pics of that chute.. 

rmorris, you are suggesting that the product is actually vending, but then not sliding/rolling down and out of the delivery door correct? I definitely wouldnt have thought to check for that!! Thanks for that thought. Even if that's not the problem, I will definitely clean it really well and apply some silicone lube like  you said.

rmorris, you are suggesting that the product is actually vending, but then not sliding/rolling down and out of the delivery door correct? I definitely wouldnt have thought to check for that!! Thanks for that thought. Even if that's not the problem, I will definitely clean it really well and apply some silicone lube like  you said.

Yes! Sometimes customers get annoyed for asking to many questions so I just tell them I need to know where the problem lies. Something to keep in mind about vending " YOU NEVER HEAR ABOUT THE FREE ONE ONLY THE ONE THAT DIDN'T VEND"  If you are giving refunds sometimes people will get the money from the secretary if you give them refund money and go back and get 2. I had a security guy who was making up refund slips once and getting money that way. Trust no one! Except those who have shown they can be. 

ok so I serviced the machine today. I cleaned the chute and delivery door really well and it did have some grime on the towel, but not enough that I would have thought it would stop a can or bottle from sliding down. I also checked the gage bars, and it seems like every one of them had a slight outward bow to them. I gently flexed them so that they looked straight when sighting down them and test vended the heck out of each selection, and everything seems to be working well, so we shall see what happens. The gage bars are supposed to be exactly straight right? or are they supposed to have a slight bow? 

The gage bars must be straight or you will have cans in the 2nd and 3rd position fall prematurely, causing later dry vends. Once they are bent they will easily bend again, so they should be replaced. You should also spray some food grade silicone on the chute.

I have the gage bars in stock if you need them.

Archived