Question on Combo Machine?

ASVG

I saw a really good deal on some Gaines VM750's. Wondering if anyone has had any experience on these machines, if they are well built or junk? Also looking at some nationals but they are almost double the price. This obviously isn't the most desired as its a combo machine but I have some new customers requesting for combos to start. Thanks

I saw a really good deal on some Gaines VM750's. Wondering if anyone has had any experience on these machines, if they are well built or junk? Also looking at some nationals but they are almost double the price. This obviously isn't the most desired as its a combo machine but I have some new customers requesting for combos to start. Thanks

Hi, these machine's look like HF-3500 Elite Series machine's. Maybe marketed in the USA as Gaines but in New Zealand these machine are sold under the brand name Sega. There are not many of them around here but they were sold by a company here called Austway Vending which also sold them in Australia. They have a bad reputation here but maybe more due to the company selling them than the machine's themselves! They look very similar to a RPD (Raddatz Product Development) machine. I have never used a machine manufactured by Sega so can't really comment on quality but have seen machine's being sold in Australia a few years back cheap because of blown refrigeration deck's! Problem may have been solved since or maybe it was because of the warmer climate in OZ.

There is a place in vending for combo machines but they are specialty type situations such as you outfit a large factory but the executives do not want to be seen on the floor using vending machines. You can resolve that problem with a combo in the office area. Normally you find the combo on Ebay or Craigs List for a few hundred dollars, clean it up and outfit it with better validators. I have worked with several new vendors that bought 15 or 20 of these at auctions, biz opp's and out of neighbors garages. I don't think there are good deals on these machines. You buy them if you have to buy them to get good accounts. National's are the better machine. Again you would only buy one if it is a good account with a space issue.

Poplady

There is a place in vending for combo machines but they are specialty type situations such as you outfit a large factory but the executives do not want to be seen on the floor using vending machines. You can resolve that problem with a combo in the office area. Normally you find the combo on Ebay or Craigs List for a few hundred dollars, clean it up and outfit it with better validators. I have worked with several new vendors that bought 15 or 20 of these at auctions, biz opp's and out of neighbors garages. I don't think there are good deals on these machines. You buy them if you have to buy them to get good accounts. National's are the better machine. Again you would only buy one if it is a good account with a space issue.

Poplady

I agree with you that there is a place for combo machine's. Combo's do have there disadvantages being not as many selection's or capacity but they are used alot more here by independent operator's than full line vendors. Many because most company's here are alot smaller (under 50 employee's) and they don't have the space for full line vendor in their lunch rooms.

They do have their advantages of only needing one payment system & also one remote monitoring device. One payment system may not benifit you in the USA as much as it does here in NZ because of your coin & note set-up but here we use 10c-20c-50c-$1-$2 coins & $5-$10-$20 note denominations so if someone puts a $20 note into a machine & buys a product for $1 it can drain your coin mech. We don't have note recyclers here so by using one payment system coins are usually getting put back into the same machine they came out of.

There we go, I am back home now after a slightly long day. I didn't get to explain much last night but the machines you were talking about simply have VERY little market here and many of the parts are not interchangeable with mainstream vending equipment and you will be lucky to find a dealer or distributor to sell you parts should anything fail on you. Also, as many people here have been mentioning, combo machines have their place but probably not the places you are considering. If you DID have to think about a combo machine, you almost certainly want to stick with something similar to a National combo machine or AP LCM (my favorite model).

If I had the opportunity to buy a gaines or similar combo machine for something like $300, I'd buy it... as long as everything worked. I would put it in a decent location that only needed a combo machine and run the thing until it died and then probably scrap it. That would ONLY be if the thing worked perfect and was $300 or less.

Thats what I figured. I was hoping not. The guy wants 750 obo on each machine that is new and he has 3 on locations bringing about 300 a month which he wants $3500 for all 3. Ill pass on this deal and look for something more reliable. The machines seem nice and I figured might go well where I need the combos at but Ill look around some more. Thanks for all the help.

I agree with you that there is a place for combo machine's. Combo's do have there disadvantages being not as many selection's or capacity but they are used alot more here by independent operator's than full line vendors. Many because most company's here are alot smaller (under 50 employee's) and they don't have the space for full line vendor in their lunch rooms.

They do have their advantages of only needing one payment system & also one remote monitoring device. One payment system may not benifit you in the USA as much as it does here in NZ because of your coin & note set-up but here we use 10c-20c-50c-$1-$2 coins & $5-$10-$20 note denominations so if someone puts a $20 note into a machine & buys a product for $1 it can drain your coin mech. We don't have note recyclers here so by using one payment system coins are usually getting put back into the same machine they came out of.

Good to know and good points.

Archived