What to look for in used snack machines

Nick SDL

I am looking to get into the full line vending, i now what brands are decent and which ones to stay away from, but i have no idea what i'm looking at when looking at buying a used snack machine. What to test what to look for if it is broken or worn, i saw a post on this topic on soda machines but none on snack. I have no problem cleaning and painting outside but no knowledge when it comes to internal parts. Also here are one of the machines i was looking at for reference

http://www.ebay.com/...5#ht_2546wt_905

Thanks for all replys

Buy AP, National, and GPL for snacks, and Dixie Narco and Vendo for soda. They are the best brands, and you can still get parts for nearly every model. I'll try to get some tips for testing used machines before buying up here soon.

I really like USI snack machines myself and their CB-500 models specifically for soda but I will buy a used DN or Vendo soda machine more than any other brand for used soda machines. I also like National, AP, and GPL but many of the APs and Nationals that you will find are older models that could use a lot of upgrading but parts are easy to get usually.... GPLs are hard to find!!! GPLs are probably my favorite brands of snack machines (the more modern ones) but Crane has pretty much shut them out as far as I can tell....

As for buying NEW, I definitely prefer USI Snacks I am torn between Vendo and USI for soda machines.

If you are buying used, I would definitely look for a machine that is MDB, and multi-priced. Also look for ones that are more modern looking. The Rowe 4900 is pretty old and as mentioned, it would have to be tuff-fronted just to start with.

Parts, there are alot of places to get parts. Before I would purchase a used machine, I would always try to find the manual online and randomly try to find the parts online. If you are having a hard time finding the manual online...let alone the parts to keep the machine working, I would pass. A good place for parts is vendors exchange is a large distributor or parts and should have probably 99% of stuff that you may need.

Finally, I wouldn't pay that much for a Rowe 4900 regardless of the condition, but that is my own personal opinion.

Travis

AP and National machines don't need upgraded unless you want to run them on MDB, which isn't necessary for the machine to work right. MDB is kind of an added newer feature that doesn't have to be there per say in old machines. 110 machines and their components will still be around and used by many vendors for a long while yet. However, if you want to get into newer machines right away, then MDB would be the way to go. Here is what I'd look for when testing snack machine:

Bill validator and coin mech accept coins and bills and vends can be made with credit in the machine.

Enter the programming mode and try to set prices and other options, and make sure that it programs right, the display works, and the keypad works during this process.

Depending on the model of machine, there is probably an option to run a diagnostic check on the motors. I would enter this mode, and make sure every motor vends.

Watch for blinking, flashing, or pulsating lights on the control board or validator, and make sure to find out or ask what they mean.

Those are the most important things to check for when doing a quick check on a snack machine.

Archived