Curious About Thefts

Michele

I'm a newbie and read some article or blog which stated that one should expect about 4% of one's machines to be stolen per year. Before getting my first machine, I considered chaining it, but then I just bought my first triple and noticed that even if I did chain it, someone could just come along and unscrew the case leaving the post with the chain behind. So, first of all, is the 4% statistic a reality? Does anyone put some sort of security in place to protect the machine on location? Has anyone ever had someone unscrew the case and make off with the coins and candy, but not the base? Just curious...

I never had a one machine get legs and walk. Guess I was just lucky. I've had a couple businesses close but I was able to retrieve it after making some calls.

What you just explained could happen, I guess. It just seems like an aweful lot of work for a thief to go through just to steal a candy machine. They usually like to grab and run. Just my opinion.

I'm a newbie and read some article or blog which stated that one should expect about 4% of one's machines to be stolen per year. Before getting my first machine, I considered chaining it, but then I just bought my first triple and noticed that even if I did chain it, someone could just come along and unscrew the case leaving the post with the chain behind. So, first of all, is the 4% statistic a reality? Does anyone put some sort of security in place to protect the machine on location? Has anyone ever had someone unscrew the case and make off with the coins and candy, but not the base? Just curious...

When I had my 400 gumball and 150 1800's route, I had 1 gumball machine stolen in the 2 yrs. I had it. I would worry to much about it the only thing to worry about would be is as was stated above was when a location closes and you have a hard time trying to retreive you equipment.

You are far more likely to have your machine vandalized than stolen. When you place a machine, it should be pretty clear what sort of people are around to use and/or monitor the machine, so use common sense. Unless you are using a very light machine (Ultravends, Vendstars, etc.) the ammount of effort involved is more than even the most dedicated theives would attempt.

How many minutes have you been in vending? I guess the 5 and 7 way racks I have lost through the years were to much effort! Perhaps you should consider reading and educating yourself instead of inserting your foot in your mouth.

I was merely speaking from my experience. In my area, the last vending machine anyone had "dissapear" to my knowledge was a Vendstar back in 2009. In respones to "would a theif unscrew the machine from the base" I replied no, as it is far more likely to be vandalized by some kids than stolen entirely. Naturally, one must consider location before placing any machine, large or small, and determine security for themselves. As I said, one must use common sense when placing machines. I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

Over the past 6 years, I've lost 5 vistas due to theft. I walked in one day to service and was told that somebody took the machines. This was from 4 different locations.

The worst losses come from the locations that shut down without telling you first. I've lost 11 or 12 machines that way.

How many minutes have you been in vending? I guess the 5 and 7 way racks I have lost through the years were to much effort! Perhaps you should consider reading and educating yourself instead of inserting your foot in your mouth.

HAHA i cant count the hours and days ive read everything i could before i would ask one question, some people just like making useless posts when they have no idea what there talking about.

P.S. like stated before anything can get stolen, if your that worried there's always insurance to cover you. otherwise its part of vending....

Archived