Locks..

I have a few third party soda machines out there.. from RC/7up and Coke..

Well one of the guys from the local RC/7up office lost his whole key ring in the local Wal-Mart parking lot. It had EVERY key that RC uses on the ring.. so of course who ever found the keys are using them to break into pop machines around here.

They are unlocking them.. taking the dollars from the dba, taking the coins of the coin box, and tearing the coin mechs completely out..than locking the units back..

So far I have had 2 machines hit.. I recently emptied the units of change/bills before they were hit so all they really got was the money in the coin mechs..

Anywho..all I have done so far (since I use standard locks/keys from the third party companys).. RC/7UP I use RCR6 and from Coke I use DNG29 and RVC208 - I have been having the companies install hasps on the units so I can put padlocks on them.. the local vending tech from RC/7up said the people arent breaking into the padlocked units..

But I think its time to break down and get my own lock and key code.. since Im new to this I dont know where to start.. What company should I contact? What should I expect to pay?

I found these on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/plug-style-locks-for-vending-machine-30-keyed-alike-/120889080429?pt=BI_Vending&hash=item1c258cfa6d

Only problem with the ones on ebay is I dont know if RC would have this key code on the keyring that was lost??

Any help or ideas would be great..thanks!

Try Happ Controls or Betson, they both have a big selection of replacement locks shipping is fast too. BTW I always double lock my big machines with hasps and padlocks or in real bad areas puck locks.

I lost a set of keys myself, some years back and had to drill out some locks, cut off padlocks with bolt cutters. It was a flippen pain in the proverbial and not somethign i wanted to experience again.

..and then make a decision what to do next. I went with Abloy locks on my machines. They register the key code and nobody else can use it again. nor will they cut a key for anybody else.

I dont use the facility, but you can get a master/owner key to open all machines and then route keys which will only open certain machines. So if your guys are on different routes which interesct they cant open each others machines.

What was important to me is that the locks can be altered to take different keys. Doesnt sound like much, but if I somehow lose a set of keys again then I can whip around and get them to change all the locks to a different key in a matter of hours. no need to go buy new locks and my stock and cash is secure again.

I also use hasp and staple on the sites in rougher locations as previously advised, so what i did was buy the Abloy padlocks that take the same key as the machines. saves time on the route and again if I lose my keys no need to haul out the bolt cutter.

I dont actually know how big Abloy is in the USA to be honest, but maybe the general idea is to look at something similar.

Certainly it was the best money I have spent.

I lost a set of keys myself, some years back and had to drill out some locks, cut off padlocks with bolt cutters. It was a flippen pain in the proverbial and not somethign i wanted to experience again.

..and then make a decision what to do next. I went with Abloy locks on my machines. They register the key code and nobody else can use it again. nor will they cut a key for anybody else.

I dont use the facility, but you can get a master/owner key to open all machines and then route keys which will only open certain machines. So if your guys are on different routes which interesct they cant open each others machines.

What was important to me is that the locks can be altered to take different keys. Doesnt sound like much, but if I somehow lose a set of keys again then I can whip around and get them to change all the locks to a different key in a matter of hours. no need to go buy new locks and my stock and cash is secure again.

I also use hasp and staple on the sites in rougher locations as previously advised, so what i did was buy the Abloy padlocks that take the same key as the machines. saves time on the route and again if I lose my keys no need to haul out the bolt cutter.

I dont actually know how big Abloy is in the USA to be honest, but maybe the general idea is to look at something similar.

Certainly it was the best money I have spent.

There are several brands that have multiple key combinations where all you have to do is go around and use the master key to rekey your machines, I've got some of those too, just not the Abloy brand. Any good lock company will have them.

Medeco is my favorite lock.

When you pay for a lock you’re buying time a 10.00 keeps me out for 5 minutes a 35.00 keeps out for 30 minutes.

But locks only keep honest people honest.

Walta

Medeco is my favorite lock.

Same here, I was totally sold on them when someone tried to break into one of my machines and messed it up so bad the key would not work. After 6 or 7 broken drill bits I gave up and drilled the T-handle instead to get the machine open.

If you can heat the lock to about 200F Superglue no longer holds and you can open the lock.

Walta

I would have visions of my vending machine catching fire while I was trying to heat up the lock with a plumbers acetylene torch. :blink:

An experienced vendor can get into just about any plug or high security lock in 10 minutes max. When I get a machine in that doesn't have a key, or the key got lost during shipment, I take a LARGE drill, not going to post the type up here in case of browsing vandals :) brace myself against the door, and let the lock have it. Its out in about 5 minutes. I also have a lock picking set, some of it I made, some of it I bought, and I can get in to plug locks faster than 5 minutes. My point is, if anyone WANTED to get into a machine, and had the brains to do it, they could. I would almost prefer to have a easier to break into lock on the machine, that way, they wouldn't damage the machine getting into it. If I knew a machine had become a target, I'd address the issue with a security camera mounted on a wall, or inside the machine. In Colorado, I could slap someone in jail for a year if I showed up in court with that video.

Archived