Help with my COG

Rick

Hey everybody, thanks for taking the time to help me out. I'm j-u-s-t getting started with snack boxes and trying to lay out the set-up for my small box from Cameron:

http://www.cameronpa...snackboxes.html

I think I've decided to go with 12 products x3 per box - total 36 items. From everything I've read I should be able to fit it all. Here's my tentative lineup:

1) Famous Amos 2oz Chocolate Chip x36 count $10.58 (29.3 cents per)

2) Grandma's Cookies Variety Pack x36 count $11.58 (32.2 cents per)

3) Rice Krispy Treats x24 ct $8.37 (34.9 cents per)

4) Mentos 1.3 oz. Rolls x15 ct $6.52 (43.5 cents per)

5) Oberto Beef Jerky x30 ct. $8.98 (30.0 cents per)

6) Planters Variety Pack x24 ct. $11.72 (48.8 cents per)

7) Gardetto's Original Recipe x36 ct. $9.88 (27.4 cents per)

8 ) Frito Lay Big Grab Variety x30 ct. $11.66 (38.9 cents per)

(or) Doritos Nacho Cheesier x50 ct. $11.98 (23.9 cents per)

9) M&Ms x48 ct. $24.64 (51.3 cents per)

10) M&Ms Peanut x48 ct. $24.64 (51.3 cents per)

11) Snickers x48 ct. $26.64 (55.5 cents per)

12) Reese's Pieces x36 ct. $19.88 (55.2 cents per)

I'm paying 37.8 cents per item. From everything I've read I think that's a little high? Most everyone around here runs .30-.33 COG. But maybe 37.8 is justifiable given the fact that I plan on pricing all items at $1.00. I sure would appreciate input from the veterans here if they see any items among my 12 (or a must have item conspicuously absent) that I should think twice about.

My initial concern: Selling 1oz. Doritos for a buck may be pushing it, especially selling them alongside Fritos "Big Grabs". I may need to keep all of my chips a uniform size. I don't have a good feeling about selling 1oz chips for a buck though - are people really paying that?!

Hey Rick...your right in line with my COGS. SAMS or Costco is just about the only option for small vending as far as I'm aware. My only suggestion is uping your variety which may mean cutting three items ea down to two. Don't forget crackers. Austin Crackers 45 Ct COG at .13 cents ea. That's good markup at $1. Would highly recommend pastry and mini donuts. Good sellers. Many people skip breakfast in the morn cause their running late. Also suggest a granola bar for healthier eaters.

Dogcow says he uses 1oz chips at $1 w/ no complaints. I opted for the bigger bag. Takes up more room but I was concerned about size at $1 I use one side of the Cameron box for chips, it will hold six and the other for variety. Your long skinny product makes good filler such as slim jims, etc. Pack it full and make it pretty. You'll do great. Give us updates.

Thanks empowerdls. Feedback appreciated and I'll implement this immediately. Perhaps 15-16 items with 12 items x2 and having 3-4 items that I can go x3? I'll definitely add mini-doughnuts and honey buns.

This is just my starting point. I'm on an extremely shoestring budget starting out, but I hope to graduate to the 80-100 item wood grain boxes in short order. I have 2 days/week to devote to my routes so to start out, I'm thinking one day will be a small box route and one day a big box route. Evaluate every two weeks and any small box location with <50% product remaining I bump them up to my big-box route. Does this sound feasible? I'm trying to brainstorm ways to maximize my time and minimize stales. I'll definitely check in with updates!

Yep, sounds like a good plan. You'be been doing your homework. Just a tip...since your on a budget and you need variety, you may want to consider getting variety packs of candy bars vs. buying a case of a specific candy until you make some $. I suggest getting the Mars and/or Nestle variety packs. This will help to initially keep your cost down and add variety at the same time. Just a thought. I'm sure some more of the honor boxers will give you some good advice soon. Good luck Rick. Sounds like your on the right track.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody, thanks for taking the time to help me out. I'm j-u-s-t getting started with snack boxes and trying to lay out the set-up for my small box from Cameron:

I think I've decided to go with 12 products x3 per box - total 36 items. From everything I've read I should be able to fit it all. Here's my tentative lineup:

I'm paying 37.8 cents per item. From everything I've read I think that's a little high? Most everyone around here runs .30-.33 COG. But maybe 37.8 is justifiable given the fact that I plan on pricing all items at $1.00. I sure would appreciate input from the veterans here if they see any items among my 12 (or a must have item conspicuously absent) that I should think twice about.

My initial concern: Selling 1oz. Doritos for a buck may be pushing it, especially selling them alongside Fritos "Big Grabs". I may need to keep all of my chips a uniform size. I don't have a good feeling about selling 1oz chips for a buck though - are people really paying that?!

your cogs is way too high, use the 1oz chips , use lance crackers ...forget about all these items

put 1 M&M , 1 PM&M , 1 snickers and 1 other candy bar

put a honey bun and pop tarts 2 packs of poptarts are the same cost (to you) as

1 choc donut etc...

i do not find peanuts sell very well except in some accts if you are going to sell them

use the 12oz packs

also dont forget microwave popcorn!

Thanks dogcow. Very interesting, from various threads I've read I was under the impression that cookies, nuts and chips along with pastries are some of the best sellers. Surprised to see peanuts don't sell well - heck at 48.8 cpu I won't even bother! Thanks for the reminder about pop tarts and popcorn, I'll add both immediately.

Thanks dogcow. Very interesting, from various threads I've read I was under the impression that cookies, nuts and chips along with pastries are some of the best sellers. Surprised to see peanuts don't sell well - heck at 48.8 cpu I won't even bother! Thanks for the reminder about pop tarts and popcorn, I'll add both immediately.

honor box vending and snack machine vending have some subtle differences. yes cookes + pasteries

sell very well the problem is the COGS is so high it can screw up your profitability pretty bad. remember there

is a chance you can end up with an empty box with no product and no money in it. I only put more than a few

pasteries at PROVEN accts that have gone a few cycles with no theft and request it specifically. I have one acct

that does about 25 pasteries a week, they dont get anything else in the box, but they pay 100% every time for a year and a half.

heres my thoughts on it, with honor boxes i care about margins, and not so much volume. with snack machines i care

more about volume than margin (somewhat) because relocating the machine is hard, and i am limited by

the amount of equipmeent i can buy. i would rather take a few less pennies per item then move a giant

snack machine thats not producing . for honor boxes you have to account for theft so margin is key ..

again i have NEVER had 1 single person complain about paying $1 for 1oz chips, remember if you go

to a hotel the mini bar has candy for $3 for a snickers...its all about convenience.

• 1 year later...

Im have everything labeled at $1.25 do you think I should put 1oz lays or 1.5oz?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Where I am I buy 1oz for.23 and 1.5 for .55. Neither seem to work too well if im gonna charge &1.25. But which is better to do?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

I currently have 13 snack machines operating and have yet to find one that will sell Gardettos.  Don't forget the Big Texas Cinnamon Rolls - I've got accounts that go through 3 packs a week (36) and I need to raise my $1.00 price as they've crept up to 55 cents each.  You can find Snickers on sale for 40 cents so invest in those - they've got a ten month shelf life as long as your box is not sitting in the sun.

Archived