Mint Boxes

Harvending

Harvend and Treadmill - Or anyone out there using these Sheridan boxes. What I don't like about them is how the money sits on top of everything in a clear case. Full view and enticing for those criminals out there.

I'm working on doing signage that fits inside the box so it covers most of that money box. I know most don't do that but I just don't like that money in full view. What do you guys think? Necessary or not?

I wish the box was redesigned so at least the money area was say in the back. Drop the money in the slot at the top and it drops in behind everything. Lock and door on the backside then. I wonder if acrylic comes in anything but clear. Make the money box out of something that you can't see through.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harvend and Treadmill - Or anyone out there using these Sheridan boxes. What I don't like about them is how the money sits on top of everything in a clear case. Full view and enticing for those criminals out there.

I'm working on doing signage that fits inside the box so it covers most of that money box. I know most don't do that but I just don't like that money in full view. What do you guys think? Necessary or not?

I wish the box was redesigned so at least the money area was say in the back. Drop the money in the slot at the top and it drops in behind everything. Lock and door on the backside then. I wonder if acrylic comes in anything but clear. Make the money box out of something that you can't see through.

I would split test it. I would have half of your boxes with labels covering the money and the other half without (open). See if it makes a difference in the location performance.

I have not had any problem as of yet with any box coming up missing. Now I've had a few locations ask me to remove box because they couldn't keep one eye on it at all times and I had no problem removing it even though they were decent locations. I also have my best locations on two week service schedule.

I do not cover my cash box. I would rather they see the money and see there is not that much cash in it and not worth taking. I do have the charity sticker on the front of the cash box. I have not lost a box yet.

Harvending,

I'm in the planning stage. I've recently caught on to the honor donation boxes. I was looking into snack boxes before seeing how the candy donation boxes could possibly work for me. I really value your information posts. Questions, if you would be so kind: I believe you wrote that you found your locator through Craigslist(apologies if I'm wrong). How in the world did you do that? I've looked for locators and found none on Craigslist. Maybe I did it incorrectlly or there're just none in my area. You mentioned he will travel - do you know how far he would travel(I believe you're in North Carolina; I'm several states north)? It seems like he gets locations quickly and will relocate poor performers I guess within a period of time. I understand it would have to be worth his while to travel. I want to start and increase locations quickly, so I believe I could make it worth someone's while. I've read a lot on other telemarket locators, and a couple of them seem to be pretty good, but in reading your posts, maybe an in-person locator would be better - especially at a rate similar to one of the telemarket locators. If you see fit to answer my questions, please do so by PM(I'm new to this forum, but I think I can figure the PM function out).

I placed my first 50 locations using First Choice locators with good success. Locators R Us placed 25 bulk machines for me, did a good job. I like being able to have the locator get as many as I want at a time so I can control my growth, and manage the routing. These boxes have a short service cycle, average every 2 weeks. Hope this helps.

Revenue Report Nov. and Dec. Total sales $1,574.00 COG $611.00 32 Locations. $24.50 aver. per location. I started with 50 locations and I pulled 14 low sales and 2 closed. Next week I am going to do the same thing place 50 locations and pick through to find the 35 best.

I placed my first 50 locations using First Choice locators with good success. Locators R Us placed 25 bulk machines for me, did a good job. I like being able to have the locator get as many as I want at a time so I can control my growth, and manage the routing. These boxes have a short service cycle, average every 2 weeks. Hope this helps.

Harvending,

Thanks for the reply - that's definitely good info. that helps me. Has the in-person locator worked better and/or faster for you than the first two? And, how have you been able to handle your routes vehicle-wise? I have a full-size SUV I'm thinking of using at least for the first 100 boxes. I think you said you're going for 400 boxes by year's end, so what vehicle have you used and have you changed, or will you have to change, to a van or something as you reach 200, 300, 400? Thanks, again

Harvending,

Thanks for the reply - that's definitely good info. that helps me. Has the in-person locator worked better and/or faster for you than the first two? And, how have you been able to handle your routes vehicle-wise? I have a full-size SUV I'm thinking of using at least for the first 100 boxes. I think you said you're going for 400 boxes by year's end, so what vehicle have you used and have you changed, or will you have to change, to a van or something as you reach 200, 300, 400? Thanks, again

I only have 35 locations now, Tredmill posted he is placing 400. I used tele-market first choice for my first 50. Next week I have an in person to place 50, I think in person is better. A SUV is plenty to service with. After all boxes are placed you only need 6 boxes to service with.When I service I carry 6 empty boxes. I carry in full box and switch. Clean, fill for next location.

I only have 35 locations now, Tredmill posted he is placing 400. I used tele-market first choice for my first 50. Next week I have an in person to place 50, I think in person is better. A SUV is plenty to service with. After all boxes are placed you only need 6 boxes to service with.When I service I carry 6 empty boxes. I carry in full box and switch. Clean, fill for next location.

Harvending,

Thank you for replying - especially so quickly. This helps even more. I kind of thought the SUV could carry a lot of boxes of that size, but I also thought that a larger cargo-type van or something would be needed for several hundred in order to service, say, 40-50 a day. I guess that may be the wrong way to think about it. I'm planning for this to possibly be my only business that I could expand as I leave my current job(retirement's near). I only wish I could find an in-person locator to be able to help my expansion. Again, thank you.

Treadmill or anyone else:

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for good, reliable in-person locator who is in, near, or would travel to the east coast Mid-Atlantic area to locate honor donation boxes?

Sorry, let me try that again, because there was some type of error when I posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for a good, in-person locator who is in my area(east coast, Mid-Atllantic) or who would travel to my area to locate honor donation boxes? Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry, let me try that again, because there was some type of error when I posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for a good, in-person locator who is in my area(east coast, Mid-Atllantic) or who would travel to my area to locate honor donation boxes? Any help would be appreciated.

my locator lives in the Baltimore area. He's in town right now locating my next set of mint honor boxes. He told me the other day that he is booked solid through March. If you are interested in his services pm me and I will give you his number.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just finished first full month with 50 new locations. 82 total locations. Feb. Sales 1680.00 COG 590.00. Very happy with most new locations. We are locating 50 more mid. March. Will keep posted. COG up a little, tried to mix Andes mints in with Yorks, BIG mistake.

Just finished first full month with 50 new locations. 82 total locations. Feb. Sales 1680.00 COG 590.00. Very happy with most new locations. We are locating 50 more mid. March. Will keep posted. COG up a little, tried to mix Andes mints in with Yorks, BIG mistake.

How much do you charge for your mints? Do you use york mints 175 count from sams?

How much do you charge for your mints? Do you use york mints 175 count from sams?

Yes, I use Yorks from Sams. I also use Mini Bite Size candy from Sams in non-restaurants locations. I have to be careful with these the loss can be high. I charge $.25 If you wish you can charge $.35 but I am doing good with $.25

Those numbers look good. Just ran my route this past week. I don't have numbers just yet. Looks like I'm at about 3600.00 gross (it's a guess I don't have the numbers tabulated just yet. Just going with some numbers in my head from adding up the routecards and depositing the receipts. Will get those posted when I get home hopefully in a few days).

Yes, I use Yorks from Sams. I also use Mini Bite Size candy from Sams in non-restaurants locations. I have to be careful with these the loss can be high. I charge $.25 If you wish you can charge $.35 but I am doing good with $.25

do you do better with mints or bite size candy?

• 2 months later...

Those numbers look good. Just ran my route this past week. I don't have numbers just yet. Looks like I'm at about 3600.00 gross (it's a guess I don't have the numbers tabulated just yet. Just going with some numbers in my head from adding up the routecards and depositing the receipts. Will get those posted when I get home hopefully in a few days).

How many boxes do you have out to make 3600.00 gross?

How many boxes do you have out to make 3600.00 gross?

Well as it turned out was nowhere near that mark of $3600. To do that amount per month I would guess you would have to have about 250-275 good paying (about $15-18 gross per location) locations. Presently I have about 230 located but mine are averaging around $13 gross per location per month. Since my route is pretty much close together I can service about 60 locations per day. I start my first location around 9:30 and work until I get the 60 done which is usually around 4:30 - 5:00. After dinner I count the boxes and restock for nex day. Usually I finish with that by midnight and hit the sack by 1:00-1:15 after I relax a bit. Makes for a long day but since I can take off from my full time job whenever I want or need to this works for me.

• 2 years later...

Hi indianalarry,

I am thinking of starting a few mint boxes I just don't know what the right price is to make it works.

How much you make per candy. I was thinking that the cost is 175/15=  $ 0.11 / mint so your profit is $ 0.14 if you cell for $ 0.25, is this correct?

Thanks for your answer!

Archived