Where to buy machines for outdoor/animal feed?

JCS Vending

We're thinking of trying out a few machine locations dispensing animal feed. These locations would mostly be outdoors. Are there machines that can withstand rain? I would remove the machines in the winter (I live in NY) but they would need to be rainproof.

Anyone know where I can buy a weather resistant machine like this for locations like petting zoo's, lakefront businesses (catfish food) etc.?

You could probably do it with a NW 60 without to much trouble. If worst comes to worst you could make a out line on some Cork Gasket materiel from a auto supply shop and then trim it to fit with an exact-o knife. Presto zippo alla Peanut-butter sandwiches. a nice gasket for the top of your machine. But anything like that would work and give a nice waterproof seal.

You could probably do it with a NW 60 without to much trouble. If worst comes to worst you could make a out line on some Cork Gasket materiel from a auto supply shop and then trim it to fit with an exact-o knife. Presto zippo alla Peanut-butter sandwiches. a nice gasket for the top of your machine. But anything like that would work and give a nice waterproof seal.

You're too funny. So nothing on NW machines rust? We're now thinking of waiting a year and saving up for one of those full sized bait machines. We live right on a major US lake and in the summer we get charters & fishermen from around the country and from Canada, we're more of a tourist town here and think we might make a go of it. Worried about rust on bulk machines though?

Mine are not right out in the open,they are under the marinas awnings..but they do rust..I buy the "wings" like you would mount a extra machine to a rack and just bolt it to one of the posts by the dock/restaurant/bar..still under roof so it doesn't get direct rain and behind their locked dock door so nobody just steals the machine at night..some water will get in the top or moisture from all the humidity because its right on the water,and the food might clump up with some mold,,I just throw it out and refill with fresh if it looks bad but most of the time you can just break it up with your hand and refill it,thats the good thing with animal food as its not a 100% sanitary "no touch without gloves" type of thing..the catfish food is sold in 50lb bags at tractor supply for about 10 bucks...so your product cost for a quarter is probably close to .002 cents so its like free money really..

they are old NW 60's and you can find them all day from larger vendors or auctions etc for 20 or so each so its disposable ,,i just take them down in Oct and clean them up and put them back out in may...I WOULD NOT MESS WITH THIS if it wasn't for the fact i live right beside of lake..

those bait machines are a bad idea..most marinas would not let you install that big coke machine looking bait machine as they sell bait in their stores..And nobody buys bait from them as you can't open the pack of worms and make sure they are alive when purchasing..(I wouldn't anyway and i go fishing a lot with night crawlers)

the duck feeders/fish feed 60's are just for the kids to play and to keep patrons from throwing their table scraps to the ducks..one kid gets a quarter and is playing feeding the ducks and every kid sees that and starts screaming for a quarter!! gotta love spoiled kids sometimes!

ron

www.blazingquarters.com

OAKS dont rust because they are aluminum go with those instead of nw and if you get the vista cabinet you can put cab baks on and it is more vandal proof.

the rust i mentioned is in the coin area, and oaks have a metal plate in there as well so you will still get rust stained quarters,,the other rust was the lid,which i use mostly chrome and it will rust but even a painted red metal lid from oak would rust too as i think the lid is metal also,,at least i have a couple lids of oaks (I use 450's) and they have rust spots..

I think i could get 6-7 years out of them anyway like they are as its not a big problem,,if it was saltwater it might be worst,,but this is just TN river in the Kentucky lake area.

ron

www.blazingquarters.com

I have been giving thought to finding some of the cheap plastic ones used, spraying them down, or dipping, with the Plastic spray you can find at lowes, home depot, harbor freight, etc...

Should weatherproof them to a point, and make the plastic cases more resilient, not sure what you can do about the mech except maybe look for something plastic. Anyway don't know if this would help but just something I had been thinking about along the same lines.

Last week I was visiting some friends in upstate New York and ran across a fish hatchery with three outdoor beaver machines vending fish food. They had built a little wooden house (covering the sides, back, and top but the front was wide open) to somewhat protect the machines. They looked a little weathered but certainly not beat up or rusted and they worked perfectly (I should know - my daughter bought about 20 quarters worth of food claiming those fish were really hungry!). I might be able to dig up a picture if you want to see their setup.

Archived