Evaporator keeps icing on one side

Bobomonkey702

I have an old 276 (not the 276e). The Evaporator keeps icing on the upper right side. Also the Drip pan fills up with water. I clean the hose so its not clogged. Clean the drip hole too. The machine gets cold and i have the thermostat set to 2.5. I put a thermostat meter in there and it read at like 30 to 34 degrees. I did the dollar trick by putting it on the condenser and it does drop. Anyways just wondering if I need a new bottom replacement.

Was the compressor just charged? I have had several machines do that recently, and my refrigeration guy was overcharging them. I had to wrap the tubes in a special pipe covering to keep them from "sweating" and freezing the sweat, which is what yours could be doing if the seals are tight, and if it was recently serviced.

no... the coils will "sweat" because they are cooling and then freezing the moisture in the air... you can do as H4UV says and wrap them coming from the compressor. I think HVAC insulating tape will do the trick... you can get it at Home Depot.

Sounds as if you are low on freon. If you are freezing up your evaporator on the top right hand corner that it is a sign you are low on freon and have a leak somwhere. Having a clogged compressor or a bad condenser fan will cause the machine to stop cooling.

Sounds as if you are low on freon. If you are freezing up your evaporator on the top right hand corner that it is a sign you are low on freon and have a leak somwhere. Having a clogged compressor or a bad condenser fan will cause the machine to stop cooling.

Yeah i agree with this a few "old school" repair techs have told me that is a hallmark

to look for of low freon.

Today I removed the whole deck and cleaned out the condensor throughly. Its as clean as new now haha. I will see if it was the dust that was causing my issues. It was extremely dirty. When I pulled it out I cleaned the whole floor of machine too. It was a layer of dirt. The machine looks brand new now. I turned it on 3 hours ago and i have the tstat set to 2 and its still cold. its 30 degrees. I am also wondering if the tstat is no good. I drop the t-stat down to 1 and i will see if temperature changes. Does that make sense? What is the normal running temp the machine should be? Well I will see if its icing by tomorrow. I will give it 24 hours. Thanks

yea I think it is a bad thermostat because i set it to 1 and 24 hours later its 28 degrees. I will order a new one and go from there.

if you set it on 3 does the temp. get warmer. I would try that before buying a new tstat.

Why would it get warmer on 3. Wouldn't it get even colder if anything if I go to 3? It seems it always stay around the 30 degree even at setting 3.

I did the dollar trick by putting it on the condenser and it does drop.

if this is true, your t-stat works, the "drop" indicates your system is cycling

Why would it get warmer on 3. Wouldn't it get even colder if anything if I go to 3? It seems it always stay around the 30 degree even at setting 3.

I was suggesting turn it to 3 because you said it was at 28 degrees on setting 1. Thought it would go up if you set it on 3. You never said what it was on setting 3 before your last post. I am not a mind reader.

I was suggesting turn it to 3 because you said it was at 28 degrees on setting 1. Thought it would go up if you set it on 3. You never said what it was on setting 3 before your last post. I am not a mind reader.

Yea it kind of always around 30 degrees no matter what I put it on I noticed. When I said 28 degrees I was just giving the exact detail. That's why I think it a bad tstat. I could be wrong but still cheaper to try that first.

If you turn off the thermostat does if turn off the compressor? If it does not turn the compressor off it is the thermostat. Another trick to try is to take the tip of the thermostats capilliary tube and insert the tip in the third or fourth evaporator fin 5 inches to the left of the right side of the evaporator. Make sure you only penetrate no more than an inch and a half.

Putting the tip of the thermostat in the evaporator will not tell you if the thermostat is bad but if the thermostat is good it will cause the thermostat to cycle off faster and help take care of the evaporator freezing. Do the drinks themselves freeze?

Putting the tip of the thermostat in the evaporator will not tell you if the thermostat is bad but if the thermostat is good it will cause the thermostat to cycle off faster and help take care of the evaporator freezing. Do the drinks themselves freeze?

Cool I'm going to try that this week thanks. I will let you know how that works.

If you turn off the thermostat does if turn off the compressor? If it does not turn the compressor off it is the thermostat. Another trick to try is to take the tip of the thermostats capilliary tube and insert the tip in the third or fourth evaporator fin 5 inches to the left of the right side of the evaporator. Make sure you only penetrate no more than an inch and a half.

Yes the t-stat does turn off the compressor. My sodas are not freezing. It's weird because I put a new t-stat in today just for the heck of it and so far no ice build up. Also no water in drain pan. Usually water fill drain pan in short time. It was less humid today. Could that be why no issues or is it because I put new t-stat in it?? I thought it was the compressor because I was told if it builds up on the upper right side that means low freon.Is that true? I will see if it freezes tomorrow.

Archived