removing rust from chrome stand?

dogcow

i got a big chrome gumball machine stand looks like maybe 7 or 9 machines could go on it

but it is rusted as hell.. it was very cheap . is there a good way to take the rust off without harming the chrome? if not what is a good way to remove the chrome so i can powder coat it? will sandblasting work? i thought about reverse plating but its big im not sure how that would be possible.

im going to buy this spray stuff i saw this weekend at a gun and knife show

this stuff was crazy..

spray it on metal... rust comes right off he had rusted tools to demo it with

coats the gun for lube and stays..

he had a gun in a fishtank full of water

no rust , but thats not the crazy part

he had a clear 120v 60 watt lightbulb and socket plugged into a six outlet strip

IN THE WATER with a lightbulb working...

he sprayed the socket and lightbulb with this stuff..

then he reaches in the tank... unscrews the lightbulb and didnt get landed on is as s

didnt trip the breaker...

then puts the lightbulb right back in ..

i didnt see a gimick or d/c converter this was 120v AC.. right into the standard booth outlet..

crazy guy didnt even have a GFCI ! so he must trust this product that much

i know thiers somthing with distilled water does not conduct electricity but nothing i would test with a bare hand.

im going to buy a bottle, i allways fall for gimicks and see how it does

if the stuff really works ill send you his info and you can order it

bill

im going to buy this spray stuff i saw this weekend at a gun and knife show

this stuff was crazy..

spray it on metal... rust comes right off he had rusted tools to demo it with

coats the gun for lube and stays..

he had a gun in a fishtank full of water

no rust , but thats not the crazy part

he had a clear 120v 60 watt lightbulb and socket plugged into a six outlet strip

IN THE WATER with a lightbulb working...

he sprayed the socket and lightbulb with this stuff..

then he reaches in the tank... unscrews the lightbulb and didnt get landed on is as s

didnt trip the breaker...

then puts the lightbulb right back in ..

i didnt see a gimick or d/c converter this was 120v AC.. right into the standard booth outlet..

crazy guy didnt even have a GFCI ! so he must trust this product that much

i know thiers somthing with distilled water does not conduct electricity but nothing i would test with a bare hand.

im going to buy a bottle, i allways fall for gimicks and see how it does

if the stuff really works ill send you his info and you can order it

bill

There was a guy awhile back that went door to door selling this miracle product that cleaned the rust off anything and he showed my friend on several different things the stuff he had worked. So my buddy bought a bottle that was like $30. He then used his and it didnt work at all. So the scam here was the salesman had a different solution than what he was selling.

i got a big chrome gumball machine stand looks like maybe 7 or 9 machines could go on it

but it is rusted as hell.. it was very cheap . is there a good way to take the rust off without harming the chrome? if not what is a good way to remove the chrome so i can powder coat it? will sandblasting work? i thought about reverse plating but its big im not sure how that would be possible.

There is a chemical that you can buy that nutralizes rust. I think you can buy it at auto parts stores but its kind of expensive. Your best bet is to use steel wool or if it is pitted sand the rust off and just powder coat it like you said.

I also had a chrome silver sentinel stand that was rusted all to hell. (Which is why I hate chrome, but that's in another post!) Had it blasted and power coated black for about $90 - looks good and was cheaper than buying a new one. But for smaller chrome jobs, I use Brasso metal polish. Just touched up a chrome stand I sold on eBay and it worked real good. It removed the rust and did not hurt the chrome. Maybe try it out in a small test area - but that's a lot of elbow grease needed for a large rusted stand. Of course I will NOT be doing this again since that was my last chrome stand and will never buy another chrome stand again. I am also replacing, re-blasting and re-painting most of my chrome lids as time goes by as well. I know chrome looks nice when brand new, but it is a pain.

Here is an equation to remember: Chrome + Chinese Take Out = Massively Rusted Chrome Stand and Lids!!!

Oh, and did I say that I "dislike" chrome???!!!

Good luck in any event!!

I also had a chrome silver sentinel stand that was rusted all to hell. (Which is why I hate chrome, but that's in another post!) Had it blasted and power coated black for about $90 - looks good and was cheaper than buying a new one. But for smaller chrome jobs, I use Brasso metal polish. Just touched up a chrome stand I sold on eBay and it worked real good. It removed the rust and did not hurt the chrome. Maybe try it out in a small test area - but that's a lot of elbow grease needed for a large rusted stand. Of course I will NOT be doing this again since that was my last chrome stand and will never buy another chrome stand again. I am also replacing, re-blasting and re-painting most of my chrome lids as time goes by as well. I know chrome looks nice when brand new, but it is a pain.

Here is an equation to remember: Chrome + Chinese Take Out = Massively Rusted Chrome Stand and Lids!!!

Oh, and did I say that I "dislike" chrome???!!!

Good luck in any event!!

hmmmm...i had some chrome lids in a box of odds and ends i got from someone

i tried to blast them it just made them dull. i assumed you couldnt sandblast off

chrome, but now you got me curious. I am thinking maaaybe i am using the wrong media or something

how much do u think the stand is worth re-painted? im thinking maybe its worth it to get it blasted somewhere else

since it wont fit in my blast cab i dont think, i can powdercoat it myself when i get the new big oven online.

There is a chemical that you can buy that nutralizes rust. I think you can buy it at auto parts stores but its kind of expensive. Your best bet is to use steel wool or if it is pitted sand the rust off and just powder coat it like you said.

yeah ospho, it doesnt remvoe rust, but i use it on any rusty part before powdercoating or even just

if i am stripping the paint off something and leaving it sitting for a few hours ill dip it in ospho since it

will protect against rust for about a month. its good to use ospho before sanding and painting ANYTHING

rusty because it keeps rust from spreading i have a giant vat of the stuff.

hmmmm...i had some chrome lids in a box of odds and ends i got from someone

i tried to blast them it just made them dull. i assumed you couldnt sandblast off

chrome, but now you got me curious. I am thinking maaaybe i am using the wrong media or something

how much do u think the stand is worth re-painted? im thinking maybe its worth it to get it blasted somewhere else

since it wont fit in my blast cab i dont think, i can powdercoat it myself when i get the new big oven online.

I guess you need to hook up with those guys with heavy duty blasting equipment that can strip off most of that chrome. I can give you a few suggestions locally. But beware, those blasting AND painting guys are like used car salesmen - so negotiate and get a firm quote in writing!!!

Is your stand a NW Silver Sentinel Stand? If so, it should be worth about $75 to $90 refinished. Any other "standard" type of rack stand would probably only be worth about only $40 refinished. Just my guess though.

• 3 weeks later...

Deionized water doesn't conduct electricity. If you put a little salt in it then the minerals in the salt will cause it to be conductive again. Way to test is use a volt meter set to the OHM setting if you get reading of anykind it is conductive. If you get infinity or no reading it is not conductive.

The rusty stand I would just sand it down and shoot it with some rustolum hammer finish pai.nt. Looks good and takes a beatting.

Archived