Question for everybody.

CajunCandy

Out servicing my Snack and cold drink machine this morning when one of the employees came up to me and said the cold drink machine took his $1.00 and would like to get his coke.

1- Give him his drink and change.

Or

2- Tell him to buzz off.

The reason I ask that is because I tested machine for a week before i brought it there and it work every time I would put money in it never skipped a beat! I have a coinlux ccm5 mech. for a coin acceptor and a Ba30B dollar acceptor. This is a Vendo 480D MP machine.

I gave him his drink and .25 back.

Thanks!

you did the right thing. if it was legit then he is happy. If not then you will find out soon enough because almost all the people who claim they got ripped off and didnt are repeat offenders and after a couple of weeks go by they will be the only ones with a complaint. Then you can handle it accordingly.

I have gone so far as telling one person maybe they should not use the machines anymore.

On the other hand if the complaint is legit ( and sometimes it just happens) you dont want the person telling everybody in the building that you will not give refunds.

So I always error on the side of the customer until I get to know the location

Machines do weird things......ALWAYS give money or item to customer with the following exception....and this just happened to me......

You have one customer who somehow ALWAYS lose money on the machine. Never fails, you service the machine and there is a note from the person, or they come up to you personally. After the uptenth refund, it would be time to explain to them that for some reason, you are the only one that has repeated issues with the machine and you would prefer that they just not use them anymore, however at any rate, I cannot continue to provide refunds. So if you would like to use the machine, it will be at your own risk.

Travis

I agree giving the soda and change was the right thing to do. Had it really happend to him and you denied him and he went back to the decision maker there and complained - you might have lost that account over $1.00. Good decision!

Always pay on refunds look at it this way say u pay him everyweek for a year that's what 30 bucks compared to what u make off the acct its peanuts.

I have a book of refund forms and 10.00 cash in qtrs I leave with a mgr at the acct to handle refunds

Thanks for all the reply!

I service the place for six months and I know the majority of workers there, honest people, will go out there way to help me bring in cases of drinks and what not! I just never did see this one worker, I have no problems giving any money or product to these workers if my machine took there money.

The owner and I went to school together, not saying were the best of friends but i do know him. He also told do what ever make the guys working there happy because they did not have any vending machine for the past three years, just a empty coke machine, that service man from coke would fill just once a month! Well I have all the business now!

For next summer I'm looking into a small ice cream machine to put in there!

Thanks

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Depending on how well you are in with the owner/manager you could do what we do with a couple of our accounts. If the machine eats someones money they let the manager know and he keeps track, then when we come to service we give the money to him and he gets it back to them. The main reason we did this is because it's shift work and some people are never there when we come by so it gives us a good way to make sure money gets back to them. A side bonus is it gives a way to track how many times the same person is "getting cheated".

I actually had an account once where the requests for refunds exceeded the actual amount of money collected by the machine. I politely informed the manager of the situation and told her I would be removing my machines the next day. This had been a very suspicious scenario for months and it finally "flamed out". That machine has been performing perfectly in another location for about a year now. This was is an extreme example. I have always operated under the principle that the customer is right and usually they are. Until "flame out" day I had been dutifully paying the refunds but also monitoring the take versus the inventory so I suspected a rat.

I guess the question is; how many people out there are really going to hit you up for a false refund $.75 or a dollar? The big reality is that most people are honest and if they tell you the machine took their money our only recourse is to honor that. I run good machines - not new - but always refurbished and even the best ones occasionally misfire - I know because I test them regularly.

From the vendors perspective, I don't think we have any choice but to honor refunds - AND CHECK THE PROBLEM - that simple feedback can save you alot of misery downstream.

Archived