What is a machine worth

cyberdan

Where I work there is one snack machine. It is always almost empty. I just found out it is owned by a 3rd grade kid. The sister of the owner of the business has this kid. She is trying to teach him about running a business. I saw her taking out a big pile of dollar bills and the kid running around making noise while i talked to her. She works here too.

Anyway I am thinking of asking her if she wants to sell the machine and I have no idea what to offer her. It is the size of a refrigerator and holds 19 snacks all at room temp. It takes bills and gives change. No name anywhere and looks at least 10 years old.

any ideas?

Where I work there is one snack machine. It is always almost empty. I just found out it is owned by a 3rd grade kid. The sister of the owner of the business has this kid. She is trying to teach him about running a business. I saw her taking out a big pile of dollar bills and the kid running around making noise while i talked to her. She works here too.

Anyway I am thinking of asking her if she wants to sell the machine and I have no idea what to offer her. It is the size of a refrigerator and holds 19 snacks all at room temp. It takes bills and gives change. No name anywhere and looks at least 10 years old.

any ideas?

'

Can you post a pic? Without something its just a wild guess.

You would be buying 3 things

1 the equipment.

2 the location.

3 The inventory

The equipment sounds like a mechanical combo from the 1990s. Where you put coins in a slot and turn a knob that moves the product. That’s a 100-500 if it cooling and 0 if it does not. Like any 22 year old refrigater it will stop one day and may not be repairable.

The location if this equipment needs to be refilled daily it would be worth quite a bit but it if you have to throw everything away after 3 month it’s worth nothing.

The inventory is the unsold product in the machine and changer plus any in her warehouse.

The cash you saw was from the changer zero profit in the bills you load $500 in quarters some time later you remove the bills and replace the quarters.

Walta

It has a bill acceptor so its not a mechanical machine...

19 selections seems small for a refrigerator sized machine so I don't know.

Obviously the first thing to do is ask if she would be interested in selling. If yes, you should be able to take a look inside the machine to see what brand of bill/coin mech it is using, and also test all the slots. One you investigate that you can figure out what to offer.

• 3 weeks later...

How many people work there? Is it blue collar or white collar and why don't they have a soda machine? You say the lady is pulling out a lot of dollars but the machine is often empty so there's obviously an opportunity to increase sales.

You can pick up a good soda machine for $500 to $700 dollars and it sounds like the snack machine is adequate ( 19 selections is quite small - must be a three wide) but since you already work there your cost to service is much less than any other account.

Check the make, model, bill validator (can be hard to see with MEI) and the coin mech on the snack machine and repost.

Basically, I won't touch an account that can't gross at least $500 a month - it just isn't worth it.

Archived