Vistar Questions

Does anyone use Vistar? Have any reviews about them? How about how their price compares to sams if I can accomodate a minimum order? Product variety? Delivery Time? The local service center appears to be about 20 minutes from me and I saw a truck the other day.

Does anyone use Vistar? Have any reviews about them? How about how their price compares to sams if I can accomodate a minimum order? Product variety? Delivery Time? The local service center appears to be about 20 minutes from me and I saw a truck the other day.

Sam's tends to be a little lower on most items that are duplicated between the two companies. Vistar has much greater selection and vending specific sizes for some items that makes them better than the same product from Sam's.

A couple of examples, Oreos and Corn Nuts. The Oreos are a smaller package and fit in the augers better and with a smaller package comes a lower price than the Sam's Oreos packs. Sam with Corn Nuts, 1.75 oz at Sam's, 1.4 oz through Vistar fit better, cheaper and nobody notices the difference

Great topic....I was just looking into Vistar earlier today.....I spoke w/ a customer service person there (on the phone) and form what I could gather (at least until my area rep calls me back), they claim to have over 4,000 products for vendor and they do free deliveries if you meet their minimum order size (I can't recall if it was $750 or $1000 but it was one of them)....In our area they have a truck than comes here weekly.

As far as pricing, they would not give me any comparisons until I was formally a member.

I am hoping they can be at least a little cheaper on the products I buy.

Andrew

Great topic....I was just looking into Vistar earlier today.....I spoke w/ a customer service person there (on the phone) and form what I could gather (at least until my area rep calls me back), they claim to have over 4,000 products for vendor and they do free deliveries if you meet their minimum order size (I can't recall if it was $750 or $1000 but it was one of them)....In our area they have a truck than comes here weekly.

As far as pricing, they would not give me any comparisons until I was formally a member.

I am hoping they can be at least a little cheaper on the products I buy.

Andrew

Not on candy bars and 1oz Frito-Lay chips. Pastries are usually cheaper at Sam's as well but with Vistar you are not forced into buying those mixed packages of items where one of the items in there you can't sell and wind up throwing or giving away.

One thing to ask about is the "cash discount" if you pay C.O.D. you can get a 2% discount on your invoice.

Minimum order in my area is $750. They have a far greater variety of items for sale than the local Sam's club. Sams by me is cheaper for chocolate, but nearly everything else is cheaper via Vistar. My local Sams does not carry LSS size chips, except in mixed boxes, so I prefer the Vistar boxes for those. The cakes come in far greater variety and if you get the frozen ones, the 30 days date is FAR better than Sam's club which typically has 2-3 weeks. You also have to carefully watch the dates at Sam's club since they frequently have items with very short dates on their shelves especially in winter. Vistar dates are typically better, but I advise watching those dates when you receive product since Vistar sometimes has problems with that too. Gatorade and sodas are a little more expensive than Sam's club, but having Vistar deliver to your warehouse is far easier than humping it yourself. Of course sodas can be purchased cheaper at wholesalers than at either Sams or Vistar, Gatorade being the only exception I found in this area.

Best thing about Vistar is that new 'specialty items' like Jalapeno Cheetos are available there FAR before they are available at Sam's if they are ever sold at Sam's! Plantain chips are another item that I can find nowhere besides Vistar.

You should be able to get them to lower the min order to $500 if they already send a truck into your area.

selection better than sams, prices not so much. I was looking into setting up an account with them, but there is a local company that provides everything for the icecream trucks and can walk in and buy chips bu the bag. They cost more than Sams, but I can buy the varierty packs from Sams and fill in the ones that you only get 3 of from them and they have a big selection of hot flavors

So, I am on hold for opening the account with Vistar

• 4 months later...

Archived