New ADA rules....Are they effecting your business

sbishop

What effect has the new ADA rules had on your business?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What effect has the new ADA rules had on your business?

• I have or plan to replace current machines with ADA compliant machines
    • I do not plan to change any machines I have on location
    • What new ADA rules?

The way the law is written gives way to much leway into interpretation. The general ambiguity of the law is at best confusing. I would not replace any machines without being required to by your location with an ADA machine.however if you are buying new machines I would highly recommend that you get something is or can easily be updated to full ADA compliance as at some point in time you will most likely need to comply somewhere. If you want any literature on ADA just shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send some stuff we used at our ADA schooling we did in March.

I recently got a call from one of my accounts. Their lawyers are stating to them that my vending machines must be ada compliant or they must be removed. They must meet the new reach requirements as of March 15, 2012. I explained that there are no manufacturers making vending machines ada compliant. (there is no way that I could afford to put new machines in…even if I could buy them..who can afford that?:huh:) I have had this account for 10 years and do not want to lose it. They are giving me 30 days to comply or vacate. I have a great lawyer, but he is telling me the same thing. And added “if you try to fight it with ‘breach of contract’, you will lose” I can’t win.

Any advise?

I recently got a call from one of my accounts. Their lawyers are stating to them that my vending machines must be ada compliant or they must be removed. They must meet the new reach requirements as of March 15, 2012. I explained that there are no manufacturers making vending machines ada compliant. (there is no way that I could afford to put new machines in…even if I could buy them..who can afford that?:huh:) I have had this account for 10 years and do not want to lose it. They are giving me 30 days to comply or vacate. I have a great lawyer, but he is telling me the same thing. And added “if you try to fight it with ‘breach of contract’, you will lose” I can’t win.

Any advise?

There are machines being made that are ADA compliant. That being said there is a grandfather ruling that should allow you to be in compliance with your equipment as long as it was in place prior to March, 15th. Of course they can simply require you to comply as that is what they want without it being a "legal" request. Maybe another vendor came in selling the location on ADA equipment.

I had a customer that was ask to upgrade similar to you but he sent them the grandfather ruling and they were satisfied with that. Sometimes they just need the paperwork to cover their butts.

What type of location is this? Do you have a contract?

what compliant machines? i have seen some pepsi vendors that are compliant, and those robot bottle machines comply. no snack machines are. no coffee machines are. what about those millions of machines that are out there already? just send them to the scrap pile?

how do vendors make their existing machines comply?

Royal, USI, Vendo and Crane all have some type of ADA machine. There are compliant snacks and soda machines and no, not all robot bottle machine are compliant.

No one said that you need to dispose of non ADA machines as all locations do not require them and there is a grandfather ruling.

You need to read the law on ADA machines so you can understand your rights are as an operator and what makes a machine compliant. Some are compliant, some are not. Some are until you add a secondary card reader and the they won't be.

Archived