Attempt to regain old locations?

GagesVending

About two months ago, I had a triple head candy machine placed in a small Chinese restaurant, the only vending machine there. Right about at the three month mark of placement, the owner asked me to remove the machine. I was shocked, but I smiled and said "Ok, thank you!" and walked out with the machine. She said "I'm sorry, but my kids eat too much candy, and I don't want them to." This was a good money-making location ($30/month). I took the machine out to my car, opened the back panel to remove the quarters, and noticed the ants inside the coin compartment. This was my first experience with ants in any of my machines. I always keep them clean and sanitary. I believe the ants were the real reason that she wanted the machine gone, but didn't want customers to hear. About two weeks ago, the restaurant was closed for about a week and a half and the sign on the door said they were closed for remodeling. The restaurant looks the same. I believe they closed to bring in exterminators, but didn't want to scare off customers. I'd like to get the location back, but don't want to upset the lady. Should I try again or would I be pushing it? The machine that was in her restaurant was fully cleaned and refurbished and I threw away all of the candy. That machine is on location in another restaurant, bug-free. Should I offer her a brand new machine or just leave the situation alone as "no more candy temptation for her kids?"

I thought about toys, but I only am vending candy and Buzz Bites right now. I don't have product or toy machines yet.

This is as good of a reason as any to start. If your candy was honestly doing $30/month in this place I can almost guarantee a 1800 triple with two 25 cent and one 50 cent toy heads would do $50.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm going to pitch them again, in about a week. I'm expecting an order of 1" capsules today, and I bought an Oak double head machine to vend them. I'm going to ask the owner if I can put the machine in there. I'm refurbishing the machine, and it needs some parts so I'm waiting on them to get here in the mail. It should be completely ready by the end of next week. I'll let you guys know what happens!

• 3 weeks later...

I talked to the owner of the Chinese restaurant about an Oak double head machine with capsule toys...she said that the only reason she wanted my machine gone was because her 4 boys were spending all of their money on using my machine. She was very nice, but declined the placement. I tried! :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing that story...and kudos for trying to get back in there.

I think approaching her again with toys rather than candy was the smart thing to do.

If you had approached her with candy after having been kicked out because of "candy", what would have been your angle to get back in there?

Instead you went in with a fresh approach and didn't insult the lady by offering the same thing she'd recently kicked you out for.

Thank you Sherlock! It was a little disappointing, but didn't surprise me much. I went in expecting a no, but it would have made my day if I got a yes. I'm still looking for a home for that capsule machine. I've got 4 machines that need placed; I guess I know what I'm doing this week! B)

Archived