Frozen/Chilled meals?

Who are you using as a supplier for your frozen meals and/or chilled items (ie: sandwiches, etc)?

I have a potential location wanting a prepared meal machine. I'm really reluctant to do it, but it might prevent me from getting the location. If I were to do it, where can I get these? All that Costco/Sam's has are Lean Cuisine's. No sandwiches.

What items do you stock in your machines of this type? Think factory location......

Thanks for the help! As a newbie, you've all been a big help. Hopefully one day I can return the favors.

I get most of my frozen food items from Costco (hot pockets, burritos, chimmichanga's, mini pizza's etc)

From Walmart, I tend to get Lean Cusines, Lasagna, Ice cream sandwiches, Healthy Choices)

Also from Walmart, I get Mac and Cheese single serving bowls, Compleats, Yogurts, apples, fruit cups, lunchables and prepackaged sandwiches (not costco brand)...but ones that are made at a factory, sealed and good for about 30 days.

Travis

Who are you using as a supplier for your frozen meals and/or chilled items (ie: sandwiches, etc)?

I have a potential location wanting a prepared meal machine. I'm really reluctant to do it, but it might prevent me from getting the location. If I were to do it, where can I get these? All that Costco/Sam's has are Lean Cuisine's. No sandwiches.

What items do you stock in your machines of this type? Think factory location......

Thanks for the help! As a newbie, you've all been a big help. Hopefully one day I can return the favors.

Your Sam's should have some frozen burgers, pulled pork sandwiches, chili cheese dogs etc. (Think finger food items) In most cases its more trouble than its worth in terms of getting a ROI on the machine, you'll make your money off of the soda and snacks.

The benefit of offering it is that many vendors won't provide these items so it makes it hard for them to compete against you.

Thanks, Travis. I've heard the margins are much slimmer on these items. Do you mind sharing your average markups? THX

The margins are "generally" lower, but the difference is in the volume of sales. You will typically sale 4 times the amount of snacks and soda's compared to frozen/fresh items. Also, fresh machines can have a much higher spoilage rate then snacks, and the machines....even used are typically higher then snack/soda machines. Final thing to consider is this. when you lose power or the machine goes offline for a soda or snack machine, no big deal....nothing is lost, however the same happen to a fresh or frozen machine, and you are throwing away hundreds of dollars at a time, and that REALLY hurts.

Unless you had to provide to secure a location, I would stay away from fresh and frozen machines.....just my opinion!

Travis

The margins are "generally" lower, but the difference is in the volume of sales. You will typically sale 4 times the amount of snacks and soda's compared to frozen/fresh items. Also, fresh machines can have a much higher spoilage rate then snacks, and the machines....even used are typically higher then snack/soda machines. Final thing to consider is this. when you lose power or the machine goes offline for a soda or snack machine, no big deal....nothing is lost, however the same happen to a fresh or frozen machine, and you are throwing away hundreds of dollars at a time, and that REALLY hurts.

Unless you had to provide to secure a location, I would stay away from fresh and frozen machines.....just my opinion!

Travis

Thanks again, Travis! Many more good points to consider.

I have several cold food machines. I will not consider installing one unless there are at least two shifts or they work day shifts thru the weekend. Some locations are break even at best if you consider waste but like mission pointed out I use them to keep the account because the pop and snack revenue is killer and to keep other people out. I also have a couple of 24/7 accounts and those people will clean the machines out if you give them good products and that makes up for the slow ones.

But if this is your first machine of this type I would absolutely make sure there is a 2nd shift and you cant walk to a fast food joint or your waste will suck up all the profit.

BTW, I wanted to add that if I did not need them for my bigger accounts I would not have any.........

Landshire sandwiches are sold at Walmarts near me. If Landshire is sold by you, they will deliver to you, minimum order of $150. The sandwiches can be frozen up to one year and product life is 30 days after thaw. With that being said...they aren't the greatest tasting things in the world.

For those of you running frozen/chill machines - where are you buying your sandwiches? I can find enough frozen/microwavable items at Costco/Sam's - but sandwiches is a different story.

THX

I order from Vistar but in the past I have also bought from Deli Express. They have route drivers all over the country servicing convenience stores. I saw and followed the driver one day and started a conversation at his stop and I set up a cash "store account" with him and whenever I needed more I would meet him at the end of his day and buy 10-15 various sandwiches at a time.

Landshire sandwiches are sold at Walmarts near me. If Landshire is sold by you, they will deliver to you, minimum order of $150. The sandwiches can be frozen up to one year and product life is 30 days after thaw. With that being said...they aren't the greatest tasting things in the world.

I purchase these from Walmart and resell as well. They aren't that bad....but not gourmet either!

Archived