Munch A Bunch

Well, week 1 is in the books. Aside from having a couple delays getting a machine to vend properly, we're off and running.

(2) 40-select snack machines

(1) 10-select soda

(1) 12-select soda

(1) Cold food combo freeze/chill (I am using all 28 selections as freeze)

Put primarily 16.9 oz bottles in the soda machines. That, along with Monster and just a couple of canned soda and 1 bottled water.

All machines have bill validators as well as credit card readers.

Location 1)

12-select soda ($186.70)

40-select snack ($302.20)

Freezer ($141.75)

Location 2)

10-select soda ($121.50)

40-select snack ($94.55)

First week revenue total: $846.70

% of sales that are cash: 86%

% of sales that are credit: 14%

My commissions are 5% of gross (10% of net)

So a good first week. Location 2 actually picked up late in the week as the warehouse guys finally figured out that bottled soda is better than cans, even at double the price.

Great numbers I'd say - sounds like you may have to service these accounts twice a week based on those snack figures. Don't let this one spoil you as you move forward - accounts this good don't grow on trees.

Basically your netting (after commission) about $300 per machine per month - I just picked up an account like this after being in the biz for three years. Very few people in vending start off like this and many of them will never have accounts this good.

Great numbers I'd say - sounds like you may have to service these accounts twice a week based on those snack figures. Don't let this one spoil you as you move forward - accounts this good don't grow on trees.

Basically your netting (after commission) about $300 per machine per month - I just picked up an account like this after being in the biz for three years. Very few people in vending start off like this and many of them will never have accounts this good.

All good points. My growth strategy doesn't include brand new machines like this......so future locations can afford to do less. These two (well, the big one anyway) have kept me busy.

So far so good through week 2.

Averaging about $120 per day or about $24 per machine per day (gross).

My commissions are low (5% of gross) so I am in good shape. These 5 machines should gross me close to $3,500 here in the first month.

Small problem arose yesterday though. My hotel/water park is asking for another 2 machines to be placed in the guest laundry room. So.....I'm trying to get them to allow me a better location than that - one that would get me the laundry traffic but also thru traffic that's headed to the water park from the hotel. It just so happens that the laundry room is on the way to the water park if you're a hotel guest. But you wouldn't go into the laundry room unless you were doing laundry. So just outside that in the main walkway would be a great location and could lead to more hotel locations down the road (run by Coke now).

Long story short.....trying to find a way to meet their request for additional machines but also not go broke buying machines that don't pay for themselves.

Good problem to have I suppose.

I'm kinda in the same boat....I'm working to get a contract for a hotel chain that has 4 properties, but after checking out the locations of their current vending machines, 2 of them are really poor locations within the property, so I don't know what to do....I'm hoping they will work with me but I'm not sure. Anybody else ever come across this, and how did you deal with it?

• 1 month later...

Here we go.  Month 2 report:

Location 1)

12-select soda ($709.55)
40-select snack ($932.85)
Freezer ($577.50)

Location 2)
10-select soda ($615.00)
40-select snack ($429.05)

Month 2 revenue total: $3263.95

% of sales that are cash: 77%
% of sales that are credit: 23%

Great numbers - especially considering you're doing that with only five machines.  Summer's just around the bend so you should be seeing closer to $4,000 gross soon.

Those numbers are really good. That is the way to enter into vending. Job well done.

I know many on here are not gung ho about combos. Their best use is as a satellite machine. If you do not get a better spot, that may be the best move for the laundry. If so, go with a high quality one. If that locale is slower it would fit in just right with your servicing schedule.

Archived