Suggestions on a Bill Changer

GagesVending

I have a Coffee Inns bill changer I mounted on a heavy pipe stand that I will be placing in my bowling alley location in a couple days. I'm only doing bulk vending right now, but I offered them this machine to save them the stress of constantly making change.

Should I ask the employees to unplug it every night?

Also: There are several other machines without bill acceptors there, but I'd like them to spend the quarters in my machines, so I'm putting a graphic on the front and a small marquee on top to attract customers.

Any suggestions?

a few things

1) if they unplug it will never get plugged back in if they balk at the tiny bit of electric used for a

changer attach a timer switch to it you can get them at home depot.

2) those "coffee inns" changers barely hold any quarters, not sure how often you service the location

but they will most likely be emptied out very quickly.

3) forget about the patrons most likely the bowling alley will empty out the changer for their own use

before any customers get to use it. your best bet is giving them a key and ask them to refill it every

few days.

4) pipe stand sounds unstable, i would mount it to the rack itself

Don't have them unplug it, pipe stand on a change machine makes me nervous

It's just a skinny Coffee Inns changer and is lightweight. The pipe stand is a 3" diameter steel pole with heavy base. It's sturdy and will be placed in the void between a crane and an old arcade game, so it won't get knocked over.

a few things

1) if they unplug it will never get plugged back in if they balk at the tiny bit of electric used for a

changer attach a timer switch to it you can get them at home depot.

2) those "coffee inns" changers barely hold any quarters, not sure how often you service the location

but they will most likely be emptied out very quickly.

3) forget about the patrons most likely the bowling alley will empty out the changer for their own use

before any customers get to use it. your best bet is giving them a key and ask them to refill it every

few days.

4) pipe stand sounds unstable, i would mount it to the rack itself

Thanks for the info! I service there twice a month, and stop by every week and say hi, as it's local. I was able to put over $100 in it, so with as often as I'm there, I think it'll suffice for now. They don't have room for anything bigger, as they shoved those arcade games together to create a small space for it.

I would not leave a bill changer not bolted down to tempting.

That's always something on my mind when I place any kind of machine. The spot doesn't have anything to chain it to. This place is truly safe though because it's in visibility of the front counter where there's always someone manning it. It's also clear on the other side of the entrance/exit. They have a mini arcade, which is where they have all of their machines.

I appreciate all of the feedback guys! I took dogcow's advice and bought a timer switch, so I'll see how that does. As for securing the machine, when I drop it off, I will look over the site better and see if I can't chain or possibly bolt it in place. I will do the best I can with the resources available.

just curious if they have an arcade why dont they have their own changer? the guy doing

the amusements should have to bring a changer in that is ridiculous.

also do they unplug all the arcade games every night? if not why do u need to worry about

the power consumption if its next to the games just plug it into what ever power strip the games are

using

as for theft...i think u need to read between the lines, its not a patron who will steal it

employees will rob ur equipment its more likely than a patron

just curious if they have an arcade why dont they have their own changer? the guy doing

the amusements should have to bring a changer in that is ridiculous.

also do they unplug all the arcade games every night? if not why do u need to worry about

the power consumption if its next to the games just plug it into what ever power strip the games are

using

as for theft...i think u need to read between the lines, its not a patron who will steal it

employees will rob ur equipment its more likely than a patron

It is ridiculous. The guy doing their video games is old and wanting to retire, so he probably just doesn't care. They never even thought about having a bill changer before, they thought I was a genius when I mentioned it. :)

I'm not sure if they unplug their machines, I'm trying to serve them better and show them that I am the right guy for the job; that I can and will exceed their low expectations and since I'm young, will bring new ideas, that in turn, bring in more money for everyone.

They are nice people and I don't think they would rip me off, but I'm not giving them a key either.

wtf man, buy him out or better yet get him kicked. bowling centers can be good

money makers if u have the right equipment there. my guess the arcades are old junky stuff

cranes from the 80s and video games nobody ever heard of

do they have a stacker, barbercut lite, keymaster/winners cube? if not there is a lot of $

that could be made there

They are nice people and I don't think they would rip me off, but I'm not giving them a key either.

What he's saying is that it's gonna get used a lot so let THEM fill the changer with THEIR quarters. Why tie up your own money. Also what dogcow said so right, your more likely to be ripped off from a employee ( with after hours access) than a retail customer. Things happen after the doors lock

It is ridiculous. The guy doing their video games is old and wanting to retire, so he probably just doesn't care. They never even thought about having a bill changer before, they thought I was a genius when I mentioned it. :)

I'm not sure if they unplug their machines, I'm trying to serve them better and show them that I am the right guy for the job; that I can and will exceed their low expectations and since I'm young, will bring new ideas, that in turn, bring in more money for everyone.

I would not put a changer in a location to make some other amusement operator money.. All those quarters are gonna go in his machines..If they are worrying about making change you should at least get a crane in there with bill acceptor built in,that could be your next line when they say they always need quarters.. I wouldn't mess with a changer for these folks for just bulk. only way would be them fill it and put their quarters in it, just give them the key.

ron

wtf man, buy him out or better yet get him kicked. bowling centers can be good

money makers if u have the right equipment there. my guess the arcades are old junky stuff

cranes from the 80s and video games nobody ever heard of

do they have a stacker, barbercut lite, keymaster/winners cube? if not there is a lot of $

that could be made there

I definitely cannot afford to buy him out, as it's a very large operator in Oregon! However, I'm working on getting him kicked out. The machines are old and no, there's none of the good machines, but I can't provide those right now either. I'm pushing them a little every time to eliminate those dirty old machines. The employees and manager all like me because they love my machines and how clean I keep them; they elaborate on it every time. I'm not going to act desperate and offer them a large commission, my goal is to get them on my side, then take over.

I would not put a changer in a location to make some other amusement operator money.. All those quarters are gonna go in his machines..If they are worrying about making change you should at least get a crane in there with bill acceptor built in,that could be your next line when they say they always need quarters.. I wouldn't mess with a changer for these folks for just bulk. only way would be them fill it and put their quarters in it, just give them the key.

ron

I'm trying to work with them and make their job a little easier; they really appreciate it. I actually go bowling there with my friends, and I see a lot of people (not just kids) using machines there. However, they are almost always using mine. They don't care a lot about the old games, the rip-off crane (they pack them together tightly, so you can't win, always the same toys, no rotation) and the old Toy N Joy. I'm trying to update their vending and allow them to see the endless possibilities. One of the guys in charge there, I had a good talk with while I was servicing my machines and he told me they're thinking about putting a "Use at your own risk" sign above the Toy N Joy. Within the next couple of months, I will take the leap and ask them to remove it and allow me to order them some good equipment for the 2", as I already have 1" there. They are not greedy people, so they don't care about the money; I gave them a whopping $7.50 yesterday in commission, because it was only for the double head (2 weeks). My 4 head rack is charity. They just need that extra push to make the appropriate changes.

Keep doing a better job than everyone else and they will ask you take it over. Doesn't hurt to keep dropping hints though and if the opportunity comes jump on it. The opportunity may not come again. A few years ago a restaurant chain that I had a small presence in asked me to furnish one of their locations exclusively with all the bulk, video, cranes etc and we did such a good job that they asked us to take over all 18 locations. Turned an account that was grossing in the high 4 figures/year into one that is over 6 figures now. Don't let the opportunity get away. Don't be afraid to finance if the deal is good.

Keep doing a better job than everyone else and they will ask you take it over. Doesn't hurt to keep dropping hints though and if the opportunity comes jump on it. The opportunity may not come again. A few years ago a restaurant chain that I had a small presence in asked me to furnish one of their locations exclusively with all the bulk, video, cranes etc and we did such a good job that they asked us to take over all 18 locations. Turned an account that was grossing in the high 4 figures/year into one that is over 6 figures now. Don't let the opportunity get away. Don't be afraid to finance if the deal is good.

That's awesome and congrats! Thanks and I will keep dropping the hint and you bet, I won't let the opportunity get away. It's a small city (15k population) and they value relationships with people and so that's why I'm not coming in there with a somewhat hostile approach of "If you get rid of all of these machines, I'll bring in mine and give you 35%." That may impress them, but will not win them over, they would see me more as a jerk and I think it would ruin our excellent relationship. They are so nice to me, the other day I was filling one of my Beavers with a large box of Runts (not pouring it correctly) spilled them all over the floor and I began to pick them up and he jumped right over with a broom and cleaned it up for me! It's great because when they realize they can get the best service for all of their coin op (except the full line, they seem happy with them) all from me, it'd be easier for everyone. I just need to get rid of 1 operator.

Update: I placed the bill changer today. There wasn't anything I could chain it to, so I asked them if I could attach an eye hook to the wall and chain it to that and they agreed. It's very secure now and would be difficult to steal.

BTW, never fill out of a box on location looks tacky. We "pre kit" all our confections. Sounds fancy but what we do is put the gum/candy in 1 gallon zip lock bags at the shop. We dont fill the bag, use about 6 bags to a case of candy or gum. I try to plan the routes so that we never service a stop unless it will take at least the bag of product which depending on how you set your machines is about $37.50 a bag sold. This makes it very easy to take product into a location and neatly fill the machines. The bags are reuseable of course. And if you actually use the system it is a very easy way to keep the product fresh while not overfilling the machines, and down the road its an easy and unobtrusive way to keep an eye on what your people are doing.

BTW, never fill out of a box on location looks tacky. We "pre kit" all our confections. Sounds fancy but what we do is put the gum/candy in 1 gallon zip lock bags at the shop. We dont fill the bag, use about 6 bags to a case of candy or gum. I try to plan the routes so that we never service a stop unless it will take at least the bag of product which depending on how you set your machines is about $37.50 a bag sold. This makes it very easy to take product into a location and neatly fill the machines. The bags are reuseable of course. And if you actually use the system it is a very easy way to keep the product fresh while not overfilling the machines, and down the road its an easy and unobtrusive way to keep an eye on what your people are doing.

Yeah, I learned that one quickly! :) haha I bagged the Runts last time using a ladle and it was a piece of cake!

Archived