Help for Newb... Vendo 511 Jammed

gplough

I just bought a vendo 511 and was setting it up yesterday. The previous owner had it setup for mostly bottles. I was going to convert one of the selections to cans. I reset some of the shims and did a test vend and the barrel stopped about halfway through the cycle and wouldn't advance. Then it reported jammed. I moved the cans around thinking there was a sensor on the barrel but not luck, I turned the machine off and then back on and tried to test vend, no luck.

Then I did what probably any newb would do which is stab the cans with a pocket knife and pull out the cans... So now there is nothing in the barrel but the machine is still reporting er-1 on slot 8, which evidently is of the devil...

Is there a way to reset slot 8? or something? Any help/advice would be really apprieciated!

Assuming the motor didn't home itself when you closed the door or pushed in the door switch next to the logic board, the rotor is probably stuck on the gate link. You have to remove the motor and the gate link behind it to free the rotor. More importantly you may not have the column set up properly for 12 oz. cans.

Gate Link:

Remove power from machine.

Carefully pull power wires off the motor winding - be careful because the terminals will pull out of the winding.

Remove the motor switch connector.

Remove 3 screws that hold the motor to the stack and remove the motor - Paying attention to the position of the rotor.

Now you will see the black plastic gate link.

Remove the spring from the gate link.

Remove the E-clip from the gate link - don't lose it.

Pull the gate link out of the stack and off the gate pivot.

The rotor now will rotate freely.

Inspect the link. It should not be warped and there should be a nub on the end of the link that rides on the rotor. If the nub is worn down, the link must be replaced.

If link is in good shape, reinstall into hole in stack and onto gate pivot. Install the E-clip and the spring.

Line up the rotor with its original position and reinstall the motor. Secure the motor with the 3 screws.

Reinstall the switch connector and the power wires to the motor winding.

Power the machine back up and press the door switch. The motor should home itself.

Set up for 12 oz cans:

The set up for 12 oz. cans is with a proper can shim p/n 1060686 which is a formed metal shim that is approx. 1/4" thick and 4" tall. This will be installed on the right side of the column just above the rotor with a tab protruding through the upper shim hole in the front of the stack and then secured with a large cotter clip. Remove the gauge bar located under the rotor. Be sure the bar is straight by sighting down the length of the bar; there should be no warp in the bar. There must be 2 white clips p/n 1066104 installed in positions 1 and 2 on the gauge bar. These positions are next to the step up of the bar. The clips must have the same face angle as the top of the gauge bar does after they are snapped onto the bar, as the clips become an extension of the high part of the bar. The gauge bar is installed in hole #2 in the front and rear of the stack - this is the middle hole - then secured with a small cotter clip. Set the motor cam so that there are 3 notches in the outer edge of the cam for the motor switch to fall into.

Now load 9 cans into the column and test to see that they vend properly and that the column reloads properly. If the column jams after you fill it full and it is properly set up, then the gate link is probably to blame.

Let me know if you need any of these parts as I have them all in stock.

Archived