Just started - Locating question

garnaout

Hey guys I just started in the vending (bulk gum/ candy) business and trying to locate my machines next week. I got some stickers from a charity and was hoping to locate the machines w/o paying any comission to the owner.

I was wondering how hard is that (relying only on the charity stickers) and how would u guys answer if the owner asked "So if you're helping this charity, what % do you give them monthly??" which obviously we don't - we help them by buying labels, brochures, tshirts, etc.

I don't want to be a hustler and lie or anything but at the same time I want to minimize my costs.

let me know what worked for u

thanks

Hey guys I just started in the vending (bulk gum/ candy) business and trying to locate my machines next week. I got some stickers from a charity and was hoping to locate the machines w/o paying any comission to the owner.

I was wondering how hard is that (relying only on the charity stickers) and how would u guys answer if the owner asked "So if you're helping this charity, what % do you give them monthly??" which obviously we don't - we help them by buying labels, brochures, tshirts, etc.

I don't want to be a hustler and lie or anything but at the same time I want to minimize my costs.

let me know what worked for u

thanks

My response to that question usually goes something like, "Approximately 10% of my monthly gross goes to the charity, but the real value to them isn't my payment from any one location, rather dozens of locations - it adds up! But I also need to be honest with you that this is a business for me andI'm doing this to make money. Being able to donate to such a worthy cause is just an added benefit." You dn't need to lie or even bend the truth - people usually appreciate the honesty.

Honestly you can't really answer that question. I say that because I have one location that is literally only doing 5 bucks a month at some auto body. While I will be pulling it in the next few months, my monthly charity sticker donation is 2 dollars. So on average 50% of gross goes to charity. So i always add up the total amount my company donates to the charity for the year and tell them that number. And then I usually say we are trying to reach a goal of.... and whatever that is. I will also say part of the proceeds goes to charity and the other portion goes to keeping the machine clean, operating, functioning, filled... etc. Which actually isn't a lie because your the one doing the work and it does cost gas, money for the candy, and to pay someone to swing by and check up on it. I also have commission account however and prefer when I locate to offer commission!

Be honest. Sometimes you will hear "what's in it for me?" Those types of people aren't going to be impressed with your charity pitch. I don't wear charity t shirts. By doing so, you are sending the wrong impression to the management that you represent the charity, which is a form of lying. Some locations you will be able to get into, but not through charity. Some will be worth paying a 20-30% commission and others are only good for charity. Many established Chinese and Mexican restaurants know how bulk vending works and know better than to let you in for free (charity). Most of my route is charity, but those locations that require a commission I pay 25% to. I first try charity then change my approach to commission to try to close the deal. This is why you don't want to be misleading in the first place.

Archived