What is the "dress code" when going out locating? I can never tell if I'm dressed appropriately or not.

Bravo Duck

A nice dress shirt and slacks should be totally sufficient.  Even a nice pair of jeans is usually okay.  If you have a nice shirt with your logo on it, wear that!  Just have a nice, clean look and comb your hair!

ive got accounts in t-shirt and jeans because i dropped in and got the right person at the right time

but it really depends on what kind of location you are pitching, a big corporate resturant chain, owner operator 

laundromat or diner, c-store, etc... florida is very casual you can get away with jeans and a polo here or polo and

khaki pants (biz casual/golf course wear) , one thing ive found if you dont haev a professional demeanor it doesnt

matter what you wear, people judge you on looks but once you got them talking they will get the idea whether you

know what you're talking about or not. i found being confident and knowledgeable and friendly makes all the difference. 

Thanks, guys.. I've been pretty casual and have good days and bad; here lately they've been bad so I've been wondering if dress is something I could do differently.  Perhaps I'm just losing confidence.  Been able to place one rack a week since January, but have scored 0 in the last 3, going on 4. Just hit a mental slump, I guess..

If you're hitting a wall mix up your routine. Try doing phone calls, go to a different area than where you're really wanting to be in, call it your 2nd tier location you want to be in. If your confidence is lacking or bad moral the locations can and will smell that your not someone to deal with. Hitting your 2nd tier locations will help your confidence with some good luck. Hopefully you'll get lucky and help your confidence at the same time. Success builds upon success. Negatively builds upon negativity.

I'd rather bomb out in a area that isn't my primary focus than in my target market. Once you get your mogo back hit your primary market with the determination of a account closing genius.

ive got accounts in t-shirt and jeans because i dropped in and got the right person at the right time

but it really depends on what kind of location you are pitching, a big corporate resturant chain, owner operator

laundromat or diner, c-store, etc... florida is very casual you can get away with jeans and a polo here or polo and

khaki pants (biz casual/golf course wear) , one thing ive found if you dont haev a professional demeanor it doesnt

matter what you wear, people judge you on looks but once you got them talking they will get the idea whether you

know what you're talking about or not. i found being confident and knowledgeable and friendly makes all the difference.

i agree with dogcow. Short of the speedo and flip flops your attire isnt what there focusing on, being able to convey your pitch in as few words as possible is important. Know your product and speak with confidence, i pretty much wear shorts tshirt and flip flops most every day and I close about 50 to 60% of locations i call on. Having the gift of gab helps a lot.

Archived