My Change of Careers

T BIRD

For the past 20 years, I have worked in the mental health and substance abuse field.  I worked with a very difficult population, homeless mentally ill chemical abusers.  I helped launch a long term residential treatment program that was highly structured for them.  They lived in our program for approximately 2 years and then graduated and moved on into our own supported housing apartment program where they could live forever as long as they remained clean and sober and stable.

I have had lots of stress working in the inner city for 20 years.  The commute alone was ridiculous by car every day.  This group of clients because of their mental illness, ( each client was either schizophrenic or bi polar or major depression diagnosed besides drug and alcohol dependent ) created lots of daily situations that needed clinical interventions and attention which is my expertise.  My wife also worked in that field for a little over 20 years with the same kind of clients.  She does not any more.  I guess I stayed in it so long because of the joy of watching someone literally come back from the near dead and forgotten to become a healthy responsible member of society.  That was my payback and I loved when someone graduated and moved on the right way. Being in recovery myself for 26 years that work was a way of life for me that I obviously believed in and still do today.

I am leaving that field as of August 1st.  I am going to make a go of this vending field I entered back in November '07.  I enjoy this work so much.  I was VERY passionate about the work I did for 20 years.  I am feeling like I will be VERY passionate about what I do in the vending field also.  I will need everyone's help and support here at Vendiscuss. 

T-Bird if there's anyone who can succeed at vending it's you. You're passionate and enthusiastic, you were successful at your (soon-to-be) previous job, your wife supports you, we support you!

I"ll be living your adventures vicariously cause I know you'll share with everybody, all the ups and downs.

Keep us informed every step of the way.

Barb

John,

Best of luck to ya brotha!

You gotta know we will all be here for you if you need us. I certainly hope we haven't let you down yet!

Steve

**tear** It's kinda like sending your firstborn out into the world for the first time. I have watched you grow from day one and am so darn proud of ya! :D

Johnny,

Glad to hear that you are retiring after all those years. You will have lots of fun with your new adventures in vending. You have come a long way since I first met you back in October 2007.

We are all here for you. Keep coming on and telling us your vending stories.

Hey, if I can do it after 32 years anyone can do it.

Best of luck.

Gary

wow you`re actually doing it??congrats and good luck jhonny!!I

how long did u think about it before you reached this decision?

once you expand your route and all is said and done I hope you make a million quarters a month my friend.

• 2 weeks later...

lol.......you guys are too funny. Today was my first day retired from the drug and alcohol field.

And it felt great!! I got a call early this AM about some servicing needed on a machine that had Ike and Mikes stuck in it. I LOVED showerin', gettin' dressed in shorts and a Tee and making service and collection calls. God is good everyone! ( all the time )........

John,

I knew you were gearing up to go but I didn't know you'd pull the plug that fast.

Thanks for answering our call for advise and for sharing on this board and through PM.  I hope we can repay the favor when we find out what works well (especially for our area).

Best of luck.  -Greg 

• 2 weeks later...