"House Cleaning"

Beer980

In light of our first Birthday should we do some house cleaning? I was looking over the member list to see how many Charter Members we have active and found some interesting facts. Of the first 100 members 29 have never returned or made a post. Now they were here in the beginning but what happened? Is it time to do some cleaning out of inactive members like other sites do?

I voted to ..live and let live...

That said..the only reason for this..It is way too much work to re do the system..Steve has done a great job with the site and giving him more work to do when they can just set there..seems a waste of time..

Although it sure would be nice to find out..hmmm..I smell a scientific poll here...how many of the original members from back then are still in the business...

Oh I am all coinfused...

Charter Members are the first 100 to join and post. Nothing will change that guideline, it was not meant to be the first 100 that stayed for ever and ever.

That being said nothing stops Steve from creating other designations, as I believe he has. Look at T-Bird, Grumpy, and a newbie. They are listed on the side on the first page of the forum, sorry cannot remember what they are.

That being said the most important designation is supporting member, everyone of us who benefit from this forum should donate a little $ back to help offset the costs. IMHO

Steve,

I think we should at least give them until our birthday party ends on Saturday night. We did send out an e-mail blast to let everyone know about our birthday. If they still don't show up after that, we should go ahead and clear out their names and move the list of names up. I am sure there are so many reasons that they joined and never came back.

How many people have joined and never listed a topic or replied to a post? We should look at that list also and do a little more house cleaning.

Gary

Grumpy,

Thank you for the explanation to that..I had no idea what the different designations meant...I am sure it is somewhere on the site..I just joined and statrted reading and posting..

I think that you are correct with the "supporting member"  idea...

It would be a big plus for folks like myself to have a place(address) to send a donation to...can you or Steve post this in a "new topic"

Pusherman,

Thanks..But even that needs some minor updating as the basic needs 20 quality posts to get the bump...

20 post could be upped to say 40.it`s not a lot,even the least visiting regular should have more then 40 posts anyways.

Amount of post should not be upped in my opinion, it is sometimes hard for people to post. Not having anything to add, shy etc.. I'm a charter member who post fairly regular but have way few posts compared to others.

Talking about charter members, I would give back my designation as a charter member if this house cleaning happened in the way that some would like. It cheapens the original idea that there would only be 100 original charter members. The first 100 members that joined and posted on Vendiscuss, there were no other requirements.

Besides it will be interesting to see how many of the original 100 are still here each birthday.

I really like having "Charter Member" status. While it is sad that some of the charter members are no longer here, I think that is how the things work. I would hate to have my status as a charter member diminished by "cleaning house," and adding in some more charter members. I think that Charter member status is a way to thank the people who were here in the beginning. There are status rewards for the # of post you make. There are Plus and Premium members. In each and every charter, members move on or die, and eventually all charter members are gone. Typically, they are memorialized by some sort of statue or plaque. I don't really need a statue or plaque, but I do  think it is a nice gesture to have the "charter member" status bar above my avatar.  

I tend to agree with the feeling that the "original" ie; Charter members be changed in any way...

The Charter Members are exactly what they are...the foundation of this forum...there is not any of those who came on to this forum after the original base that can claim that distinction.

I do believe that it would be nie to make the "location" a required field...Being able to network with local vendors as well as the national vendors is like  "connecting the synapeses of the Brain"

The stronger we make this..the stronger the forum.   Just my 25 cents worth

grumpy wrote:

The first 100 members that joined and posted on Vendiscuss, there were no other requirements.

In a way I agree that it should not change because they were the origional but what you mentioned above puts a kink into it. Out of those first 100 memebers 29 never posted and really never came back. It just sounds like those 29 were lurkers and never came back to contribute. Our contributions to this site is what makes it so great to be a member. Those 100 should be proud of where we came from and I would not want to see you give back your status. There are many here that just missed being in the top 100 but come by nearly everyday and contribute. In the end vending information is all that matters so everyone keep shareing.

This is all IMOHO,

Beer I agree with you ..."In the end vending information is all that matters so everyone keep shareing."

Grumpy,

Re: Charter Members, I would also say just because "there were no other requirements", doesn't mean it has to stay that way. Times change, and Web sites evolve. Want an example... when I signed up with PayPal they promised their clients they would be "Always Free". Is PayPal free now? Not hardly. It's Steve's site he can change the rules at will.

How about an amendment to the original requirements, like ...must remain an active participant on Vendiscuss by posting X number of times within a given amount of time. If you, at some point,  don't meet the requirement, you would receive an e-mail with an opportunity to remain a Charter Member by posting within a given grace period.

Either that, or just reduce the number of Charter Members by just dropping off the inactive ones. After all they are not contributing to the community anyway, so why should they continue to benefit with a "title".

It seems to me either way would make the title "Charter Member" more valuable, not less valuable as you seem to think. With the first option people would come to see the title "Charter Member" behind their name and think they were finally becoming a valuable member of something unique and special. With option two, the remaining people would continue to be a specially recognized member of an extraordinary web site. So either way it's still ccol! I just don't understand how change "cheapens" your Charter Membership.

Am I wrong?

Dave

This is all IMOHO,

Beer I agree with you ..."In the end vending information is all that matters so everyone keep shareing."

Grumpy,

Re: Charter Members, I would also say just because "there were no other requirements", doesn't mean it has to stay that way. Times change, and Web sites evolve. Want an example... when I signed up with PayPal they promised their clients they would be "Always Free". Is PayPal free now? Not hardly. It's Steve's site he can change the rules at will.

How about an amendment to the original requirements, like ...must remain an active participant on Vendiscuss by posting X number of times within a given amount of time. If you, at some point,  don't meet the requirement, you would receive an e-mail with an opportunity to remain a Charter Member by posting within a given grace period.

Either that, or just reduce the number of Charter Members by just dropping off the inactive ones. After all they are not contributing to the community anyway, so why should they continue to benefit with a "title".

It seems to me either way would make the title "Charter Member" more valuable, not less valuable as you seem to think. With the first option people would come to see the title "Charter Member" behind their name and think they were finally becoming a valuable member of something unique and special. With option two, the remaining people would continue to be a specially recognized member of an extraordinary web site. So either way it's still ccol! I just don't understand how change "cheapens" your Charter Membership.

Am I wrong?

Dave

Quote from community announcements from Steve

October 23,2007

Just wanted to update everyone.

For those of you who didn't know, I have changed the charter membership a bit. I have been extending "Charter Membership" to the first 100 posting members instead of just the first 100 registering members.

We currently have 97 posting members so there is room for only 3 more charter memberships. Once we get our 100th posting member, charter membership will be closed FOREVER! :shock: 

All you lurkers out there make sure you post your intro in the "Welcome new members" section. Its an easy way to gain "charter" and you will be able to take advantage of future "Charter Only" features! *hint*

Steve

You are right it is Steve's forum and he has final say. But Steve has always stated that this forum belongs to us (all of us, the community). And I really do not understand everybody's need to be a charter member, after all it is just a label. If needed Steve could have a Silver, Gold and Platinum member...

I would give up Charter if it changes because it would no longer stand for its original meaning. (old song comes to mind This Diamond Ring ) I really do not need a label, or to win contest or any of the other perks. I enjoy being here each and every day for the support from other vendors.

The only label that I have that I believe shows my support to this forum is Supporting Member. This means to me I believe in this community enough to reach in my pocket and help financially support this site so that we all can enjoy and share our experiences.

In the end it is Steve's call.

Hey grumpy,

I'm right with ya there buddy. If Steve decides Charter Membership is closed and the inactive Charter Members can remain and come back and post with their title intact, that's cool too!

But I will say this,

Being a Charter Member must mean something to you other than "just a label", or you wouldn't be threatening to give it up if it changes. :)

Oh, and I'd be a "Supporting Member" myself right now, but I have been waiting on my Workers Comp money since February 13th. Since then I have not brought in a single dime. We are having a hard time just making ends meet with the bills we currently have, let alone adding more. Otherwise though, you can bet you would be seeing "Supporting Member" above my avatar.

Dave

-------

Lurker, I feel your pain dealing with comp. 23 years ago I cut off one of my fingers 5 mins into a new job, and had to deal with those ***holes.

I noticed you do not have the charter designation, so if Steve decides to change it to something other then the original 100 posting members then with his blessing I would transfer it to you. But for the life of me I cannot understand what that label's meaning would be for you. For me it means one of the 100 originals but for you or anybody else???

I was not trying to out anybody for supporting member, many times in my life I had to put bills in a hat to see who was going to be paid that month, I have been on unemployment more then most during my early stages in life, so I do understand the money crunch and what is really important. (food, roof ...)

Amount of post should not be upped in my opinion, it is sometimes hard for people to post. Not having anything to add, shy etc.. I'm a charter member who post fairly regular but have way few posts compared to others.

Talking about charter members, I would give back my designation as a charter member if this house cleaning happened in the way that some would like. It cheapens the original idea that there would only be 100 original charter members. The first 100 members that joined and posted on Vendiscuss, there were no other requirements.

Besides it will be interesting to see how many of the original 100 are still here each birthday.

even the least posting member has 40 posts,upping this number would lower the number of lurkers imo,ecspecially if the "quality posts" rule is enforced and not getting 40 posts saying: yes,uhuh,I agree,or any other useless post used 40 times.

I can be shy im some curcumstances but never online,it would be differant if we were all sitting at a table chatting but posting online takes some of the pressure off of being shy.

even you have way over 300 posts over the 40 I am hopeing for .I own a restaurant,a vending biz,a family with a new baby,along with many other time consumeing comittments I have to dedicate my time to but still find time to come here and read and contribute when I can,even when I am in differant countries of Europe.

I  belive that if you haven`t logged in in over 6-9 months any account should be deleted.if anyone after 9 months decides to comeback they can re sign up again.

I get an email from a forum I am a member of after a while I dont post,maybe do that before deleting an acount?

I understand it looks good to have 1000 members over 900 on paper for example but I also believe in quality over quantity.

Grumpy wrote, "I noticed you do not have the charter designation, so if Steve decides to change it to something other then the original 100 posting members then with his blessing I would transfer it to you."

I can see how you would think I want that title under my user name, but I never said I hoped to obtain that designation. I was merely pointing out other options that may not have occured to you. Besides, I figure I am so far down on the list it'd be like five years before I would be eligible for it, even if Steve decided to change the requirements, and rotate active members into that class.

You also go on to write, "But for the life of me I cannot understand what that label's meaning would be for you. For me it means one of the 100 originals but for you or anybody else???"

I addressed that in my first post to this thread. Here it is again... "...people would come to see the title "Charter Member" behind their name and think they were finally becoming a valuable member of something unique and special."

I honestly don't believe Steve will change the rules and/or the requirements for Charter Membership as that title is traditionally held only by the first members of any club or organization. Living or dead.

In other words, Grumpy, by tradition you will always be a Charter Member of this organization/web site, even if the rules did change.

Dave

-------

I will poke my head in here for a minute. I think "Charter Member" in real life is for the original members that establish whatever it is that they are doing. After that, there is no more Charter Members. Once they are gone, they are gone.

In the policy Steve says first 100 "posting" members. If 29 have never posted, then the next 29 should be moved up to fill in and the 29 dumped. But if they posted even once, they are charters.

A new designation might be nice to have, but, in looking at what is available now, I am not sure why it would be needed. We have Charter, Member and Supporting Member. Then we have several designations within each of the first 2, with the third a special recognition. So, you can up your position by simply donating a little money to the cause. I think it means as much as being a charter member!

I am now striving for "Elite". I am not sure how many posts I have to make for each step, but I will eventually know :)

: Found it. http://www.vendiscuss.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=1344&forum_id=11&highlight=member+ladder

That helps explain the levels some. I see it is not totally up to date, but there it is. 250 posts here I come.

I think the Charter members probably should remain, but dropping the number of them as those people falll away from the forum and stop contributing is certainly an option. It sort of takes care of itself, because you wont see the Charter Member designation unless that person posts. Most people who join won't know if there are 5 or 100 of these people anyway.

I agree with deleting people who do not visit the site. Steve knows who they are and that is just a routine matainence thing.

This is off the original poll topic but I don't like the idea of requiring 40 posts to get to Plus status. Personally, I think there are more than enough posts made that contribute nothing, as people try to up their total to get to Plus status. The original ten was probaly too few, but more than twenty will just ensure that we have every new member re-opening old threads, trying to get their post counts up.

I try to read this board daily and to contribute mostly if I think I have something of value to offer. As I get busier with the business I find I have less time and sometimes I find it frustarting to sort through all the posts from people who are trying to get their numbers up. I understand that as a newbie there are lots of questions and that as a newbie we are all excited and ready to get going. However, I am a great believer in reading the old posts from start to finish and then starting to ask questions.

If you are serious about starting a business, dedicating a couple of weeks to reading all the information on the boards you join is the cheapest but most valuable thing you can do. It will give you a much better feel for the business and what kind of things you can expect then getting into the Plus Section will.

You will see how the people who have been here for a while have altered their plans and opinions as they gain experience. You will see that new people who were adament about the pro's and con's of machines, products, locations etc when they were new have come to see other perspectives. Reading the posts could save you thousands of dollars and months of time.

I am sorry for the the length of this post and for highjacking the thread. I'll go back to lurking now.

I have to agree that moving to 40 posts would be problematic and hurt the board. 20 is good. 25 if it had to be moved up, but 20 is good I think. As I read through old posts and learned, I had questions and all of a sudden I was at 20. If it were set to 40, there would be a lot of junk posts and I also try to read and post daily, but am busy and would get frustrated too I think.

mountain man:I dont see how it would be problematic?also plz  explain how it would hurt the board?the requirment I believe is 20 QUALITY posts so junk replies could be deleted if necessary.

u and grumpy dont agree with me,but both have at least more then double the number os posts I have proposed.u have been a member for 2 months and u have 90 posts,so it took u less the a month o(or a serviceing cycle for some)to have full access to this site,even for someone as busy as you claim to be.that hardly seems like a long time to me for all the extra advantages you get.

surpriseingly its only the members that have over 40 posts that aren`t agreeing with this proposal, members that don`t have 40 posts aren`t even speaking up.