How to minimize seasonal sales fluctuations?

shepherdsflock

I was wondering if any of the more experienced operators could share advice on how to minimize seasonal sales fluctuations. I have locations that have been doing great most of the year but seem to slow down during the mid to late summer months.  Keeping fresh, new products rotated seems to help, but it's still not getting my sales to where I'd like to see them. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I dont have the experience some do on here but here is what im doing. I work a couple of college towns so Im taking the opportunity with the slow-down to locate hard in these areas. Also Im trying to be more diverse in getting locations that preform well in Summer, recreational, locations along tourist routes etc. Cafes w/ outdoor seating are doing great for me right now so more of those. Tire, lube and car places are doing good as people try and spruce up their cars for summer road trips. These type of things.

Summer is usually my boom time with kids out of school wanting toys.  If you can incorporate more toys into the mix.  I don't do a whole lot of candy so I don't really notice much if it slows down or not.

Tourism is pretty much non-existent here, so I can't count on that. I already do almost exclusively toys (only a few candy locations). I am targeting some new locations, but I've only got a few machines to place so it's not like I'm going to make a huge change in my route. I guess I just don't like to reality of seasonal variation.

Ah the summer slow times. All you can do is what you are doing now and that is change product around and wait for the fall months to come around. Even my mint honor box route is showing the signs of the summer slow down. People around here go on vacation in July and that's when my sales lag. Just hang in there and things will get better come 4th qtr.

I have noticed a little lag in my short vending career (2 months so far). It late summer the main time for the lag, or are there other times of the year where things slow down some?

And just for kicks, what is the best booming times of the year from your experiences? I do a mixture of full line and bulk, so I don't know if the same trends apply to both, but maybe you guys and gals do.

Archived