Is there a cheap way to better secure a machine?

entrepreneur90

I'm brand new to the bulk candy business and this forum and I haven't seen this question being asked anywhere...............Is there a cheap way to better a secure a machine by maybe getting a very cheap bicycle lock or better yet by using a very large plastic zip tie? You see a lot of police departments now-a-days using the plastic zip ties in place of handcuffs because they're much less expensive. I'm going to buy the A&A Global brand machine and I was thinking about better securing these by somehow attaching something to my vending machine with one end and the other end attaching it to something that can't be moved (a pipe fixture, a bench, a rail, etc). Has anyone ever considered this or done this? 

Also my biggest concern isn't that someone will steal the machine, but that it might get knocked over (or intentionally shoved over in an effort to try and get the money and product out.)

Chain isn't that expensive is it?  Chain and heavy lock seems like the most simple and fexible option.  I can defeat a zip tie with the leatherman that is always in my side pocket.  Can't say I have a bolt cutter in my side pocket.

Also my biggest concern isn't that someone will steal the machine, but that it might get knocked over (or intentionally shoved over in an effort to try and get the money and product out.)

Since this is your biggest concern, let me set your mind at ease.

Tipping the machine over for the sake of taking the money is not likely.

So, don't worry about it.

If thieves want to take the money they don't usually go that route.

I've had machines broken into and not ONCE have they opened the machine by tipping it.

Besides the likelihood that you will have a place to zip-tie or chain your single machine is somewhat slim.

Most singles wind up against a wall or corner without a good "anchor" to tie to nearby.

I have a location at a TGI Fridays who says they will take a bulk candy machine but that it must be secured to where little kids can't take the thing and smash it on the ground.........Apparently the last operator who had a gumball machine in the same spot, had to pull it out because the kids tipped it over and smashed it open.

Looking at the same spot where the last guy had his machine, there is a park bench right there that I told them I could secure the machine to. I'm just trying to figure out what would be the best way for me to solve this potential problem and get the go-ahead from the management at TGI Fradays so I can do this. I'm also thinking about doing the same thing with any other machines (if it's possible) at other locations where the same potential problem stands greater chance of occuring.

Given the type of business and the spot within the business where you will be putting that machine, a lock and chain is not going to look very good.

And "looks" are important to that type of eatery.

The zip tie is probably a good option. Just use more than one along the pipe stand.

It won't prevent theft, but it should satisfy the location's tip-over worries.

I have a location at a TGI Fridays who says they will take a bulk candy machine but that it must be secured to where little kids can't take the thing and smash it on the ground.........Apparently the last operator who had a gumball machine in the same spot, had to pull it out because the kids tipped it over and smashed it open.

Looking at the same spot where the last guy had his machine, there is a park bench right there that I told them I could secure the machine to. I'm just trying to figure out what would be the best way for me to solve this potential problem and get the go-ahead from the management at TGI Fradays so I can do this. I'm also thinking about doing the same thing with any other machines (if it's possible) at other locations where the same potential problem stands greater chance of occuring.

Since looks are going to important here, I'd try to give the base additional weight (or get a heavier one if available).  You might make a slightly larger concrete base and bolt your machine down to that with concrete anchors

I always use a chain and 2 padlocks.  Don't just wrap the chain around the base and around what you are securing it to, because then someone can simply pull the base through the opening.  Use 2 padlocks.  Wrap part of the chain around the pipe of the stand, padlock; then wrap the other end around the securing object, padlock.  Think of it like handcuffs.

Since appearance is a factor here, I would still use a chain, but get one with a black (if your stand is black) plastic coating over the actual chain.  I'm thinking of the type they use for bike locks and such.  It would look better, but you should hide the padlock the best you can.  I agree with the heavier base stands, as previously mentioned.  Since you're going with a small machine, it's not hard to knock over, so I'd simply order the heavier ones.  I'm happy with my Oak brand round based pipe stands, they've been very durable.

To guarantee your machine can stay there I would contact the owner to insure its ok. Most Fridays locations are a franchise. And food places change managers all the time so he may or may not be able to give that spot. If you make a long term deal you may be able to secure the machine to the wall.

Archived