Oak vs. Northwestern

VendingExperts

I just wanted to share.

I have bought Northwestern Super 60's from Sam's Club, aswell as bought many Oak Vista Cabinets from Oak.

I am of the opinion that Northwestern puts out a better product.

I'm not "hating" on Oak but sharing my experience.

One of my first purchases was from Sam's.

Each machine comes wrapped in its own box.

Upon opening you pull out a Clean, New, and Shiny machine. The Super 60's have a large capacity; which could be a good or bad thing, you just have to be mindful of your fill levels. The locks go on and off easily without any hiccup trying to remove the key. Next, Super 60's come in an array of colors; I like to contrast the color of two machines when on the same stand.

The downside is that Northwesterns are on the higher end of the price spectrum.

I have made 3 orders from Oak directly and had varying feelings. When Oaks come, they have a blue removable plastic coating on the glass panels which envokes a certain emotion of peeling it off like unwrapping a Christmas present. Unlike Northwestern the machines that I have received don't have that perfect crisp clean feel. Oak does sell "refurbished" machines for slightly less than new, however I have bought new all three times that I have ordered from them. The machines that I have gotten have had a less than perfect fit and finish. The chrome knobs have a tarnished appearance like they were not dipped in chrome properly, which does have a positive effect aswell as it gives a "Vintage" look. However, the other flaws all added together have made me feel less excited about each purchase. The locks that I have received dont sit flush with the top of the machine, regardless of how much you try to tighten them, without trying to over tighten, the globes are very finicky as they are difficult to get to seat together properly, which is of utmost importance when opening and servicing, on two different occasions upon opening from the factory have had candy pieces and chunks stuck in the corners of the cash box. So I feel like I am receiving refurbished machines although I am paying for new; if I am incorrect, these flaws could have still been discovered if the machines had been mached up and tested before shipment. A little quality control goes a long way.

Oak has always treated me well when ordering and has sent out new locks when they accidentally sent me machines that were keyed differently than I had ordered, so I give them a plus in the customer service department. But one other thing is that the price quoted has been different than the actual price with shipping, each time I ordered, even though I was reordering the same product and having them shipped to the same address each time.

So recently when purchasing 2 new heads, I have given Northwestern a whirl again. Although they are about $30 more expensive, I had that Christmas feel again when opening them, labeling, and pre cleaning then. The fit is perfect and I find them to be flawless!

Although I do like both brands and models, I do seem to be more partial to the Super 60's dispite their added cost. Which I find to be minimal when comparing for the long haul.

I still am going to continue to critique both brands as I continue to have both but I do want to give credit where credit is due, I do feel that Northwestern puts out a more superior product over Oak and I will be buying more of them as things progress.

I would like to test a few Beavers just to give a good apples to apples comparison. However Beaver is slightly more expensive and is a twin to the Oak machines.

I know I might have some others disagree with me or have had different experiences, I'm just sharing my 2¢'s.

I give the Blue Ribbon to Northwestern!

Thanks.

NW is all I buy when I purchase new machines. I've played with and refurbed several brands. I still grab used stuff from other brands when the right opportunity presents itself but I prefer NW.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.

However, the other flaws all added together have made me feel less excited about each purchase. The locks that I have received dont sit flush with the top of the machine, regardless of how much you try to tighten them, without trying to over tighten,

Thanks for the review.

On a side note regarding your lock issue: Remember that the threaded rod is adjustable.

Loosen the nut located at the bottom of the rod and screw the rod in a little further into the base plate.

No need to go too far.

That will allow the lock to sit flush into your lid when you lock your machine.

Don't forget to re-tighten the nut at the bottom of the threaded rod once you get it adjusted to where the lock sits flush!

That's nice to know Sherlock. I'll have to try that on the machines that I currently have.

But IMO when you buy a new machine, I think that it should come 100% ready to go except for adjusting your vend amount and mounting to stand.

All in all NW seems to have it together when presenting you with a new machine. Packaging, fitment, and just an all around feel that you have a brand new machine absent any quirks or blemishes.

I agree with your assessment.  When I bought my route I had just about at least 1 of every machine ever made so I was able to experience the different brands and decide which one I liked the most.  I just like how the NW machines work better than the others.  I like that you just have to unlock it pick up the machine a few inches to rest on the base while you collect the quarters.  I like the large capacity so I don't have to fill up the toys as often.  Fit and finish is very good.

My least favorite is probably the Eagle machines.  I hate having to remove the whole top part setting it somewhere and have to pull the entire bottom off to dump the coins.

I like Beavers for the most part but I don't like how small the opening is on top of the 1" machines.  Hard to fill and insert product displays.  Great machines but NW wins out overall for me.

Disclaimer:  I believe A&A machines are knock off of NW or was at some point?  I have A&A parts and machines that work fine with my NW stuff.  With that said NW and A&A are both my preferred machines.

Sticker machines I prefer this type.  I don't know the name or brand but of all the different types I have I prefer to use these.  Maybe someone can help me out with the history of this machine.  The NW machines aren't too bad but these are my favorite.

http://www.tntvend.com/products/machines.html

They are bladerunners. Ive got around 80 out making money. They are tanks. I also have beaver and eagle sticker machines, and agree they are the best.

I agree with your assessment. When I bought my route I had just about at least 1 of every machine ever made so I was able to experience the different brands and decide which one I liked the most. I just like how the NW machines work better than the others. I like that you just have to unlock it pick up the machine a few inches to rest on the base while you collect the quarters. I like the large capacity so I don't have to fill up the toys as often. Fit and finish is very good.

My least favorite is probably the Eagle machines. I hate having to remove the whole top part setting it somewhere and have to pull the entire bottom off to dump the coins.

I like Beavers for the most part but I don't like how small the opening is on top of the 1" machines. Hard to fill and insert product displays. Great machines but NW wins out overall for me.

Disclaimer: I believe A&A machines are knock off of NW or was at some point? I have A&A parts and machines that work fine with my NW stuff. With that said NW and A&A are both my preferred machines.

Sticker machines I prefer this type. I don't know the name or brand but of all the different types I have I prefer to use these. Maybe someone can help me out with the history of this machine. The NW machines aren't too bad but these are my favorite.

http://www.tntvend.com/products/machines.html

Archived