$202 for a 30 day pull gas pump gumball machine!

jerry1973

I have one of the tall (probably 7ft) gas pump style gumball machines in a cafe, and it usually does really well (~$100 per month). This month I checked it and right away noticed that it was really low on gum, and it was a huge haul on quarters ($202). How rare are locations such as this? I would buy all the gas pump gumball machines I could find if I could keep getting even $100 per month. Who else has locations like this? Thanks!! 

I once had a triple head in the waiting room of a hospital.  Always did well, $100-$150 per month.  It got moved to the cafeteria for about 18 months and dropped down to about $25.  I showed up one day to service (due to a service call say hot tamales were empty) and couldn't find it.  I walked around for about 15 minutes and luckily found it in a stairwell.  It had about $50 in it and the HT were gone.  I was confused about why it was in the stairwell but while servicing it several employees used this stairwell.  I emptied a bag of HT and left.  I thought there is no way this machine will do well in the stairs.  I get a call 9 days later that the hot tamales were empty.  I stop by about 6:30pm to fill it, while there a nurse stops and ask to make sure I keep the tamales full, she said a lot of nurses will get $1.00-$2.00 worth and snack on them during their shift.  I emptied the skittles and made 2 columns HT, for the next 8 months the machine did about $200-$225 a month.  It was a good run until I got the call to pick it up.  The had remodeled and added a vending area but everything had to be inset into the wall.  I paid $219 for that machine in 1994 and over the 5 years it was there it paid for itself many times over.  Unfortunately I haven't had a triple come close to that since. 

yeah the best triple that I have is probably about $60ish, but most are $20 give or take. That big gumball machine is out performing some of my lower end snack and soda machines LOL. I would just like to have 20 or so of these accounts, and Id be sitting pretty. 

I've got 2 locations that have just a single gumball machine.  They are both natural gas related companies.  One is a pipeline layer and the other is a driller.  They both do just over $100 consistently. It's really nice when you have a few of them.

When I had my gumball route I had one location that was a carpet cleaning office in a small strip mall. The first time I serviced it it had over a $100 in it. The phone receptionist said the service guys each put in about $10 at one time per week and put them in a container and take them in the field to give to the customers kids as they clean the carpets. This was a consistant $100+ per month account.

Years back a friend of mine had a very good shoe chain. He had large round globe super 60 heads on single stand all charity. I tried to tell him to work out a comm deal before he lost it all. In less than a year here came a rack guy with a comm split and he lost the whole deal last I heard he still pays rent on a few large storage places full of machines. I think it was 30 to 50 locations all doing no less than 250 a month.

Years back a friend of mine had a very good shoe chain. He had large round globe super 60 heads on single stand all charity. I tried to tell him to work out a comm deal before he lost it all. In less than a year here came a rack guy with a comm split and he lost the whole deal last I heard he still pays rent on a few large storage places full of machines. I think it was 30 to 50 locations all doing no less than 250 a month.

"Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered"

Archived