Options for monster bulk location

Rick

This is a nice problem to have, but a problem nonetheless.  

Just recently purchased a bulk route that included a location with three Northwestern Triple Plays vending all candy at a large industrial manufacturing plant.  When I serviced the route with the previous owner he said it had been 2 months since his last service and I'm estimating he pulled $250 from the three machines combined.  Seven of the nine heads were completely empty, so I don't even know what's possible with this location.

Elsewhere in the plant, two abandoned Terminators - the company has been calling but no luck reaching that vendor.  So two more Triple Plays could possibly replace the Terminators for 5 total machines in the plant doing, I can only assume, over $250/month gross.  

This is a charity location and the previous owner has had these machines there for several years.  

What would you do to optimize this route?  Do I approach management and offer commission?  Add gumball and/or capsule vending?  Shut my mouth and take this as long as I can get it?   

Also thinking about mounting plastic cup dispensers on the sides of the machines.  Dry roasted peanuts fly out of the machine at this location to the point that employees asked the previous owner to put in a second head of peanuts.  Supplying plastic cups would allow workers to take 5-6 vends back to their desk with them instead of having to stand at the machine.  Good idea?  

Any and all thoughts appreciated.  

Usually these types of locations are charity.  I've noticed the decision makers of industrial locations just don't want to bother with dealing with candy machines, so charity is easier for everyone.  There are usually so many people working at these places that they do great!  I would replace those Uturns with some other triples like a Northwestern or SuperPro.  I usually like using triples at these types of places because then you can save your bulk equipment that has more versatility for vending capsules and such someplace else.  If I were you, I'd fill with gumballs, PMM, Mike and Ikes, Hot Tamales, Skittles and Reese's Pieces.  You could try peanuts too, but mine have gone bad so fast that I'm not going to vend them anymore.  I like your idea of the cups.  Another idea is little sandwich baggies, so you could go with whichever is cheaper.

I'm of the opinion that we should always  trust-but-verify.

Just because the previous owner "said" it had been 2 months since his last service doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

There are at least 2 reasons why he would maybe lie:

1. Earnings look better to a prospective buyer if the seller claims a 60day pull instead of telling you it's been longer since his last service.

2. Empty globes on a 30-60day cycle makes this a busy location...empty globes on something longer than a 60day cycle makes it more of a neglected location than a busy location. BIG difference.

My recommendation is to let the current equipment sit STOCKED with whatever the previous vendor stocked in them for at least 30 days and see what they do for you.

Then you can set your plan of action based on your findings rather than a seller's stated earnings.

If the seller was honest, the location is used to a 60 day service cycle.

It was just serviced so waiting 30days to take action on a location that's been established for years is not going to hurt.

But, if he was not being honest, you will prevent yourself from investing in a location you later find was not worth the time/expense.

Good luck! And congrats on the purchase.

Sherlock just gave some really good advice. What he stated was exactly what I was thinking when I read your post. Hope that it really is a good location and that it wasn't empty because it had been sitting for 6 months. Wait it out for 4 weeks and check back.

Do not ever offer a commission to these type of locations.

Second, verify the income as others have said. Consider going with a small 4 rack with Oak Vista Cabinet machines, that way you can add cab backs if you need extra capacity on a particular item. And if you need fewer products you can split the unit up unlike a 3 play etc.

Definately do ball gum.

Becareful of your product selection in the summer unless the plant is airconditioned ( not likely). And even if it is many places have off work hour energy saving and the temp is allowed to rise (or fall in winter).

Offer to take the uturns to the companies dumpster as a service.

Archived