Ballast problem on 440, please advise.

Hello everyone,

I have a couple of broken wires that broke off the small blue plastic connectors that wire into the ballast, everything else seems intact. I bought it used. It's pretty old so they left the ballast unplugged because of that I imagen.

I'll try to upload a pic.

It's the: large 1.65 amps

I'll post the info on it later.

Can I connect these wires or do I need the blue plastic connectors? Where can I get these?

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I have a couple of broken wires that broke off the small blue plastic connectors that wire into the ballast, everything else seems intact. I bought it used. It's pretty old so they left the ballast unplugged because of that I imagen.

Can I connect these wires or do I need the blue plastic connectors? Where can I get these?

Thanks!

What's the best way to upload a picture here?

If you're referring to the connectors that two wires were slid into and then is was folded over to secure them, you can use any crimp together connector to reconnect the wires after you strip them, but..... are you sure the wires broke off (they usually don't) or were they cut off?  It's more likely that the ballast was disconnected due to it having failed.  There is a two wire white connector for power to the ballast that can simply be pulled apart to turn the lights off.  Pull that connector apart first, then put your wires together, making sure that any wires you tie together are supposed to tie together.  If you don't know what wires go where, it's best not to do this unless it's real obvious to you.  Your risk with incorrect wires is a direct short, or if the wiring is okay, then your risk is blowing up two good bulbs.  I would say it's time to upgrade to an electronic ballast.  The ballast you have now is magnetic and obsolete.   Magnetic ballasts have been replaced by electronic ballasts and there are sizes that will power your two lamps.  Check Home Depot, Lowes, or a good lighting supply house for parts and wiring diagrams.

To upload a photo, click the More Reply Options button below the reply box and then scroll down the page to find the controls to browse your computer files and attach an image file to your post.

If you're referring to the connectors that two wires were slid into and then is was folded over to secure them, you can use any crimp together connector to reconnect the wires after you strip them, but..... are you sure the wires broke off (they usually don't) or were they cut off?  It's more likely that the ballast was disconnected due to it having failed.  There is a two wire white connector for power to the ballast that can simply be pulled apart to turn the lights off.  Pull that connector apart first, then put your wires together, making sure that any wires you tie together are supposed to tie together.  If you don't know what wires go where, it's best not to do this unless it's real obvious to you.  Your risk with incorrect wires is a direct short, or if the wiring is okay, then your risk is blowing up two good bulbs.  I would say it's time to upgrade to an electronic ballast.  The ballast you have now is magnetic and obsolete.   Magnetic ballasts have been replaced by electronic ballasts and there are sizes that will power your two lamps.  Check Home Depot, Lowes, or a good lighting supply house for parts and wiring diagrams.

To upload a photo, click the More Reply Options button below the reply box and then scroll down the page to find the controls to browse your computer files and attach an image file to your post.

Yes, the red wires came out of the crimp over connector. It's an Advance Transformer CAT No. rc2s85, 120 v, 800 ma, 60 hertz, lino current, 1.65 amp.

What would I buy as a replacement? Do I just strip and connect wires for the new part?

Hello everyone,

Thanks!

Here's a good link for the ballast you need http://www.1000bulbs.com/category/f72t12-f96t12-instant-start-fluorescent-ballasts/.  If you buy one locally you're looking for one that will fire two F72T12 lamps - often these can also be used with F96T12 lamps.  Lowe's or Home Depot will have these (but they won't have the lamps - go figure)

From the pictures it looks like some of that red wire may be fried (unless that's just dirt).  You should cut the fried end off and remake this connection using a standard yellow "bake-lite" wire connector.  As an old electrician, I have never liked the crimp connectors - just too easy for it to come loose and cause problems (like fried wires).  A good twisted connection in a wire nut is much more secure.

Here's a good link for the ballast you need http://www.1000bulbs.com/category/f72t12-f96t12-instant-start-fluorescent-ballasts/.  If you buy one locally you're looking for one that will fire two F72T12 lamps - often these can also be used with F96T12 lamps.  Lowe's or Home Depot will have these (but they won't have the lamps - go figure)

From the pictures it looks like some of that red wire may be fried (unless that's just dirt).  You should cut the fried end off and remake this connection using a standard yellow "bake-lite" wire connector.  As an old electrician, I have never liked the crimp connectors - just too easy for it to come loose and cause problems (like fried wires).  A good twisted connection in a wire nut is much more secure.

Yes, I got the lamps with the flat plastic double pin on the ends. It's not single. is it worth trying to fix it or should I get one in home Depot? Once I remove the old ballast, is it just a plug in procedure or do I need to strip, connect, etc?

Thanks Moondog.

Yes, I got the lamps with the flat plastic double pin on the ends. It's not single. is it worth trying to fix it or should I get one in home Depot? Once I remove the old ballast, is it just a plug in procedure or do I need to strip, connect, etc?

Thanks Moondog.

That sounds like high output lamps you have, in which case you'd need a high output ballast - not cheap.  I'd fix that bad connection first - maybe that is all that's wrong.

On another note, I just picked up an LED kit at Costco for $30.  It's made by Sylvania and it's 12' long.  You'd need to install a couple of metal strips top to bottom for mounting  but this would be a better long term alternative. (and cheaper)

Ps.  The connections to a new ballast are very simple but you need to strip and twist the leads together - it's not "plug and play"

Brilliant moon dog. What do you think of led lighting strips with the adhesive? They seem practical. It doesn't need much light. It just needs to look like it's working, as it's old school. Lol..

The kit I bought has the adhesive backing - they're finally getting cheaper than fixing the fluorescents and the LED's are a lot brighter than they used to be.

• 2 weeks later...

I attached the Led lighting kit to the inside of the decal in the form of 3 vertical lines. This kit from Costco has a remote with flash, strobe, and other options. You can have white, red, green, or blue, or you can alternate them. So now I have the Christmas tree option for my soda machine.

Great tips Moondog.

Archived