How often do you use a locator?

caserri

What percentage of your fleet was placed by a locator?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What percentage of your fleet was placed by a locator?

• None
    • 1 to 25% of my fleet
    • 26 to 50% of my fleet
    • 51 to 75% of my fleet
    • 76 to 99% of my fleet
    • All my locations are from a locator

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I purchased an already existing route. It has needed a lot of attention to get it up to speed, but you start off with machines already located. I know this isn't always possible, but it's a good start. I've even heard of people calling the service numbers on vending machines they see and ask the owner if they have any they want to sell. There are a lot of people who got in over their heads and are just waiting to get out.

I used Kickstart for 20% and they found better locations than I would have. Those locations have led to referrals to other places when they got excited about getting a machine in their building.

• 1 year later...

I placed my first order with a locator back in december or late november. I ordered 2 locations just to try them first. They found the first location in less than 30hrs. The 2nd lead was a week later, but when I went and talked to them, they decided they didn't want the machine. I haven't heard anything since. If they can get the machines out of my house and making money faster that I could/would do it, then I don't see a problem. I would like to know how many "no"s they got in that period before they got the yes.

Here in Mexico the vending business is in its first steps, if you want to grow, you need to learn to locate your own machines. I thing that it is a good experience to fall in love of vending.Abdón

I was just on vacation in Mexico and could not stop thinking about what a gold mine vending would be down there. Everyone has change and loves candy and little toys. I guess the biggest issue would be all of the tiendas that are already set up. But i bet if you got into some more middle class areas you could do quite well.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have time to get locations usually. I do locate on my own when I have the time. But I usually use a locator. I have about 5 people that I use. I use in person locators and tele marketers. I have used just about every locator at one time or another. I have had some bad ones and some really great.

• 5 months later...

You must learn to locate yourself its essential to be successfull......................if you carnt learn to locate dont get into vending, its not passive income its hard work!!!!!!!!!!.

Not true.  I self locate, but this is not true.  

Will self-locating save you a ton of money?  Yes.

Will it yield much better locations on average?  You bet.  

But the idea that you're doomed for failure if you've never self located is complete hogwash.  

But the idea that you're doomed for failure if you've never self located is complete hogwash.  

Given that Reel posted this to the bulk forum,  I can see your point Rick.  He also does a lot of full line vending where one absolutely must do their own locating or purchase existing accounts.  If you get a bad location from a locator it's not that big a deal but if we get one, it'll cost us big bucks moving all that equipment in and out - just a different animal.

Given that Reel posted this to the bulk forum,  I can see your point Rick.  He also does a lot of full line vending where one absolutely must do their own locating or purchase existing accounts.  If you get a bad location from a locator it's not that big a deal but if we get one, it'll cost us big bucks moving all that equipment in and out - just a different animal.

Ahhh...yes I absolutely agree.  I'm strictly talking about bulk.  

I think both post are correct. Locating is an essential skill to know even if you use locators to build your route. The same way a contractor knows how to frame a wall even though he hires wall framers.

For those who dont think they know how to locate you do. Every time you go to a location when the locator has said the manager wants to look at the machine first or see the charity paperwork or whatever, you are closing the sale, you are locating.

In many ways the telemarketer locator is a lead generator thats all. The same way an insurance salesman buys pre-qualified leads to close on a sale. But I guarantee that insurance salesman knows hot to cold call if needed.

• 4 weeks later...

I locate my own cotton candy machines, but hire out the locating of bulk machines.  Once I get all my cotton candy machines located, then I'll do my own bulk locating + hire it out also.

I think self locating, buying established routes, and hiring locators can all work in harmony.  But then again I'm a n00b so don't listen to me ;) LOL

Archived