MEI 7000 problem

EdSurly

Do any of you guys use the MEI 7000 changer?  To explain; the changer is located on an ice vending machine.  I got an "OUT OF ORDER" text tonight, after trying to do a remote reset through text didn't work I went to the location.  No out of order was flashing on the display outside but the bill validator lights weren't on.  When I went inside the ice machine everything looked fine, at this point I thought it was an ice machine fault but not seeing anything wrong I took a look at the changer.  The yellow LED next to the "B" tube was lit.  I'm still kinda new to this so I didn't really get what the meaning was.  I removed the cartridge, reset the changer and put the cartridge back but nothing changed.  All the change tubes are filled to the brim except for the two dollar tubes, those are about 2/3 full.  I pull the cartridge back out, reset and again...nothing.  So I manually vend a bag of ice and everything started working fine.  Except this time the yellow "B" LED is flashing and the lcd reads; "tube low".  Like I said, the tube is completely filled to the top.  I pull the cartridge out three more times, resetting it each time and on the last reset I finally get the green light with no fault text on the lcd.

Is this thing crapping out on me?  Do I need to purchase another changer or is there some maintenance I can do?  This changer doesn't see a whole lot of use, the bill validator gets the crap worked out of it but not this changer.  I filled the changer when the machine was put in at the end of August and I haven't had to add any more change to any of them except the dollar tubes.  I vend ice at $2 per so any coins go into the tray, and dollar coins are given as change but quarters, dimes or nickels never get used...at least through this changer. 

You probably have a dirty coin mech with dirty sensors in the coin tubes.  The Mars CF7512 changer uses sonar to sense the height of the coins in each tube, from which the changer can then determine the total value of change in the cassette.  This total value is displayed on the coin mech LCD in normal operating mode.  There isn't any user servicing that you can do to the coin mech as it must be connected to MEI test equipment for tuning and diagnostics after it is properly cleaned.  The fact that it has been in the machine since August and your machine is likely outdoors means you have a dirty coin mech that must be serviced.

If you need to get a replacement coin mech I can exchange it for you.  Send me a PM if you need one.

There aren't any sensors in the coin tubes...at least none that I can see.  I did find in my research that the tube levels are read using sonar, and I did read the procedure for cleaning the unit.  Pretty simple I thought, all it had you do was wipe off parts and items with a damp cloth.  That just seemed too easy to me, and I fail to see how cleaning a microscopic layer of dust would keep sonar from working.  I'm not feeling good about this. 

I am not sure how Mars senses coin levels.

I do know CoinCo does use sonic sensor and they will not work if you over fill the tubes.

I would try.

1 Empting coin tubes about half way

2 Reboot the machine.

3 Vend the machine with coins.

When you are vending, please note if the coins are being loaded into cartilage or the cash box.  

Walta

Archived