8.25 oz. Coffee Price

Randy 805

Hey guys, I have a location that I purchased with an existing coffee machine on it, it's the only coffee machine I have in my route, and though I'm not looking to expand coffee offerings through my route, I do want to keep it in place for the guys there, they seem to really enjoy it.  I only service the place once a month together with the canned drink machine on site and the interval seems about right, I keep the machine spotlessly clean inside and out but I was kind of wondering what the price should be set at, the previous route owner of this location has the coffee set at $0.50 a cup, which are 8.25 oz., does this seem about right?  How would I even go about figuring out what my cost is per cup?  There is also in this coffee machine regular powdered creamer, French Vanilla powder, and sugar in addition to the regular caffinated and de-caf coffees and hot chocolate.  $0.50 seems about the right value for that small of a cup from a consumer standpoint, anything more in my opinion if I were to buy a cup that small would seem like a ripoff but I don't want to loose money either....

You are making money on the .50 cups.  The great thing about coffee is the profit margin though I haven't been in the coffee business since I sold my routes.  I would never consider less than .50 for that size but I wouldn't make any waves as the new vendor by raising it.  To prevent cup drop problems make sure that you continue to purchase the exact same cups that are in the machine now.

You should post the model number of the machine so we can advise you of any things you should watch for besides the normal caveat of "keep any eye open for any water where it shouldn't be."  As this is a "wet machine" you must be diligent in tracing any water you see on the floor, running down the back wall or dripping from somewhere.  Also be aware of the water level in your waste bucket/buckets as an unexpected high level could mean you have a leak.

The location doesn't sound like a barn burner but it hopefully is a solid, consistent performer.  Good luck.

With this kind of machine it is very important to have liability insurance, if you have a leak over a weekend things will be very expensive to repair.

The cost to make that cup ought to be .14-.20 cents depending on the ingredients and the throw (how much used per vend). Cups will be the biggest part of your cost.

Archived