Machine accepts one, maybe two coins then none

loach33

I have this problem seemingly fixed, but I question whether the problem will happen again.  Here's the whole story including why I get frustrated calling Vendnet...

I have a Quantum Pro mech in a USI CB700 machine.  The people there told me it wasn't accepting coins.

First time I tried one quarter.  It went in establishing credit, then nothing.  Hit the coin return.  Tried nickels and dimes.  Wouldn't accept either but it did take the quarter again.  Then nothing.  Hit coin return.  (Prices in the machine are 60 cents to $2)

Went to the service mode.  Went to coin fill (service switch, then 7 on the board).  Would not take any coins at all.

Swapped out another Quantum Pro mech (but only the top part, so the coin part stayed in).  This time it would take 75 cents and also a nickle or a dime here and there.  Never more than 75 cents though.  

When I would hit the coin return and start over, it would take different coins.  So, if it took a couple dimes and a nickle last time then this time it may not.  I can't remember each scenario as I tried this about 20 different times.  Usually always accepting the first one or two coins, then nothing.

I cleaned the mech.  I tried a third Quantum Pro.  Same thing. (Why didn't I try a completely different mech, like an MEI?  Well, the MDB cable from the mech is tied into the machine with this crazy bracket and nut which will not allow a simple nut driver to get around it.  Basically, at the time I could not get a simple 1/4 inch nut off a stupid screw so I swapped the top only)

I called Coinco.  Voicemail three times.  Nice.

I called Vendnet since it seemed to be a machine problem.  They asked me to swap a bill validator.  I did.  Machine took 1.00 credit in coins.  Then nothing.  Old quarters, new quarters, whatever.  Didn't matter.

I said "Maybe I just have to empty the coin mech.  Maybe it thinks it's full or something?"  He said "Nah, that's not it."

Vendnet guy said it could be a loose MDB connection.  Get a pair of pliers and tighten that up.  I did.  No help.

Vendnet guy said it's a bad coin mech.  Swap out with a totally different one.  I didn't believe him.

After hanging up, I decide to try to empty some coins out.  I went to the service switch, and then hit 1 to get into the "DIspense Coins" mode.  I emptied about 25-30 each of quarters, dimes and nickels.

Next attempt and feeding coins.  Worked like a charm.  Took them all as normal.

So it works but I wonder if I should completely empty the mech and start over by using the tube fill function?  This machine does go thru nickles so, I usually fill it up just by adding them directly to the tubes (not using the tube fill function).

Although I have had an exact change light on.  I then go to tube fill and add coins that way.  That gets the light off and it works for weeks or months from there.

First of all, check the mechanical coin return parts and make sure they aren't making any contact with the coin return lever on the mech.  If that lever is pressed, even slightly, it can create the coin rejection issue you describe.  Also check that all 3 screws that the coin mech hang on are there, that the mech is level and that the machine is level.

Second, I think you need to exchange the coin mech due to an internal issue.  While it's possible for you to physically force too many coins into the tubes, if you are just sliding them in you probably haven't caused this issue by not using "Tube Fill."  Not using "tube fill" will sometimes cause the validator to not be enabled or $5 bills to not be accepted but won't cause any coin rejections. 

I think you have a tempermental coin mech due to a problem in it's main board.  It seems to be happy now that you emptied all coins and filled through the logic board but this problem is likely to return simply due to the way it occurred and what corrected it.  It's possible that the coin mech just doesn't like this machine or the electronic communications between the two.  Try swapping the mechs between two MDB machines and see if that eliminates the entire problem.  By doing that, if the problem comes back to this machine you know to replace the logic board and if it appears in the other MDB machine where you put the coin mech, then you know to replace the mech.

Now for the lecture - make sure you always carry a tool kit that includes 1/4", 5/16" and 11/32" long nut drivers, phillips and flat blade screwdrivers, a tiny flat blade screwdriver, pliers, electrical tape, etc. so you don't get caught empty handed.

Tools - yeah I took my adjustable wrench (two) out of the box and used it at home - then forgot to return it.  Ugh

Thanks AZ.  I'll swap for a completely different one to check it out for sure.  I may have to wait til the problem occurs again though.

I've a;ways had bad luck with the Quantum Pro's - since I don't have your patience, I've swapped mine out in favor of the TRC 6051 (not as many tubes but at least they work)

Archived