Honor Box time consumption

AngryChris

I have been operating my honor box route successfully for almost 3 months now.  After growing my full-line business quite significantly over the past few months, I am now running into the potential problem of not having time for the honor boxes.  I am fine for now but the honor boxes easily take up well over one day each week (and I spread it out into two days) while my full-line easily takes out 2 days (I spread it out into 3 days).  I could consolidate everything into about 3.5 days but I will ultimately be forced to hire someone to do some vending or sell-off the honor boxes.

Honor boxes are great because they are easy to service, but difficult because it's about impossible to be profitable if you hire someone to run them for you.  Full-line vending is much more friendly to owners when it comes to hiring employees because, when properly trained, there isn't a whole lot that you should have to worry about (I sound naive saying that, but I am sure some people know what I am trying to get at).

Do any of you have this problem?  What did you do?  Honor boxes have good profits and it's easy money (and requires VERY little investment) but honor boxes probably can't yield the same kind of profits that you can get with full-line vending.

I have been operating my honor box route successfully for almost 3 months now.  After growing my full-line business quite significantly over the past few months, I am now running into the potential problem of not having time for the honor boxes.  I am fine for now but the honor boxes easily take up well over one day each week (and I spread it out into two days) while my full-line easily takes out 2 days (I spread it out into 3 days).  I could consolidate everything into about 3.5 days but I will ultimately be forced to hire someone to do some vending or sell-off the honor boxes.

Honor boxes are great because they are easy to service, but difficult because it's about impossible to be profitable if you hire someone to run them for you.  Full-line vending is much more friendly to owners when it comes to hiring employees because, when properly trained, there isn't a whole lot that you should have to worry about (I sound naive saying that, but I am sure some people know what I am trying to get at).

Do any of you have this problem?  What did you do?  Honor boxes have good profits and it's easy money (and requires VERY little investment) but honor boxes probably can't yield the same kind of profits that you can get with full-line vending.

There is a lot that can be said here but I think I will boil it down to its essence....... I think you are soon going to be reaching a decision point, do you want to basically remain a one man show or do you want to continue to grow and start hiring employees? Both sides have their advantages and disadvantages its up to you to decide what works best for your life and goals. Once you figure that out the path that you will need to take will become clear.

There is a lot that can be said here but I think I will boil it down to its essence....... I think you are soon going to be reaching a decision point, do you want to basically remain a one man show or do you want to continue to grow and start hiring employees? Both sides have their advantages and disadvantages its up to you to decide what works best for your life and goals. Once you figure that out the path that you will need to take will become clear.

Confucious?  Is that you?

Jokes aside, I think you're right.  When I FINALLY became a full-time vending operator, it was a great day but I wasn't certain about how it was going to work out.  Without a steady income, it's hard to know if I can pay the bills or not.  I have been able to do this for 2 months so far and I haven't seen my debt grow much nor have I been nervous about anything.  I definitely don't have a lot of money to spend on petty things but I am able to work and enjoy my life and my career at the moment.  I am already starting to save money to finish working on my house.

When I do make the decision to max myself out or hire an employee, I will be hitting this forum up a lot.  I know what it's like to be an employee, especially one that works for a vending company.  However, I have never signed anyone's paycheck before.  I'm sure it's a lot different when you're the boss.

• 2 months later...

"I am fine for now but the honor boxes easily take up well over one day each week (and I spread it out into two days)"

How many boxes are you currently running? Are you still servicing them alone, or did you decide to hire?

Archived