route price

kdub3821

Looking at buying a route and would like some advice. I have searched the forum and get varied answers.the route consists of six vendstar 3000 all in close range to a route I have. The seller has no proof of sales because he does not do taxes. This is the sellers breakdown of gross sales that he takes in every 6 to 8 weeks

1) 100-175

2) 20-30

3) 40-50

4) 15-25

5) 30-50

6) 30-40.

Thanks

For starters, that's a pretty wide range being offered up by the seller.  $100-$175 every 6-8 weeks? So at worst $50 and at best $116.66 a month!?!  On any account I have that's over $40/month, I can tell you within +/- 10% how much money is in the machine before I even unlock it.  So something is fishy there.  If I'm buying this route I'm insisting we run the route together and I'm picking his brain about how often he run this, what his lowest pull EVER was, seasonal effects, how long and how did he acquire the loc, etc. etc.

That being said, if these averages are true and we have six locations each averaging just over $29/month, I'd start with $600 and go as high as $1,500-$1,800.  On paper, $1400 puts my ROI at 16 months, but where this route gets interesting is when we start looking at implied value.  We have 3 locations here where a singe VS is pulling $40+/month.  Those are places that are just BEGGING for an equipment upgrade.  If that first location is a public "foot traffic" area, a 7-way rack with toys and tats would do $300/month.  And if it's an employee breakroom, do they have full-line vending?  A vendstar doing $150/month in a breakroom is begging for full-line pop and snack.  And a break room with full line pop/snack should NOT have a crappy VS doing $150/month.  So the full line account has prices out of whack or routinely runs empty due to poor service, etc. and if that's the case it's easy pickings for me to take it over.  

What a goldmine.  When you stop and think about it LOGICALLY, there's no good reason for a vendstar to do $100+ a month. If so then, by definition, somebody is horribly misreading the vending opportunity.  

Kdub, racks are a whole other realm in itself. For me, the best way to start with racks was through craigslist. You can find quality used Northwesterns racked up on CL for $300-$400 for a 5-way (3 NW60s, 2 80s and a 2 or 3 column flat machine) is a standard setup, sometimes even including product. Then you can begin getting some experience with how they're mounted, etc.

I bought the route. I brought a u turn terminator up to the 150 dollar location today. I put the three candys the old vendstar had in the big canisters plus a gum. Then filled the bottom with toys. I asked about putting a snack machine in but the owner declined because the have a food bar that is ran on Sundays and he did not want to take any money away from it. He did want to discuss putting a soda machine in. So I might get that also. The machines the guy I bought from sold me are in working order but were nasty.it took me a long time to clean them and I threw out a ton of old candy. The seller filled everything to the tip top causing spoilage. So i took a guess at what would sell and replaced with fresh product. Three out of the six locations could sell toys and gum so i will be replacing with the u turns i have. The seller also gave me a free machine and location in the area he forgot he had. So I got a total of seven locations and was able to keep what money was in the machines. I think with just replacing old product/cleaning/and upgrading to a bigger machine in some locations I think I can really up the profits.

Archived