Fair price for Northwesterns?

redfleet32

What is a fair price to start at for freshly powder coated northwestern machines. New condition,post-3159-0-94918200-1398614294_thumb.jpeg glass globes, I believe 60 series. I received these in my recent purchase but do not use these. Machines are blue.

8 bucks each is fair. I'll PM you. Mods please lock this thread since this question has been asked and answered! :)

I kid I kid. Seriously, I'd say $30-$35 is a solid price per head considering the new powder coat.

As Lee Corso of ESPN would say, "Not so Fast"!

From a vendor's perspective, vending machines with glass globes are not worth as much when placing on location.  So the $30-$35 would be fair.  Glass globes are just a hassle and also creates a potential liability to the operator if the machine is tipped over and some kid is cut.

However, a collector or restorer would pay more for a glass globe vending machine.  There is market for old time vending machines (say from the 40's to 50's to 60's era).  Many restorers will also give a glass globe machine an old time theme, such as Texaco, Coca-Cola, Mobil, Sinclair, etc.  They make cool gifts and the restorer's can sell them for $120 to $220.

I have dabbled a bit in this area.  A recently powder-coated blue machine would make for a great Pepsi or Mobil Oil themed machine.  Get some white pin striping and some old time labels, and you will have a cool item of value.  So you may want to ask at least $50 to $60 to sell "as is" to a restorer who wants to flip it.  Glass globes are getting harder to find..  A glass globe machine will command a higher price (compared to acrylic) from restorers and collectors that want that old time 50's look.

Below are a few eBay links from guys selling restored glass globe machines with a theme.  Note that none of them are mine!  So no personal plugs intended here.  Nostalgia is big business.  Ever watch American Pickers?  Those guys love old signs and old oil cans.  Good luck with them - and don't give them away!

That is my suggestion they will fetch more money as collectibles than route machines. I still have a lot of the glass machines on location however.

I would say $35 minimum for a freshly painted route ready 60. They will last 30 years or more

Archived