Would only targeting places that can support racks be a bad way to go about business?

Zeusophobia

I'm trying to figure out a battle plan for vending and I have two things on my side. One is, I live in the most densely populated county in Florida. The other, my close friend, who agreed to help me out, is a master sales guy and I have no doubt could get me in prime locations.

With the combination of plenty of nearby stores to choose from, and an edge up on getting in them, I was wondering if trying to get only locations that support 6 or more heads is viable.

I figure 1 stop that yields $100 is better than four stops that yield $25.

Mostly what I see on this forum is people upgrading existing locations to racks after they've figured out they can support it. But if I targeted busy restaurants, grocery stores, video game shops, toy stores, and the like, couldn't I just go full blown rack on places that are sure to be a  home run?

Now you're getting it Zeus!  

Truth be told, if I were starting from scratch my very first step would be to scour all of the locations in my city that CURRENTLY have large racks, flat, interactive and amusement and just ask them if they are happy with their current vendor and the commission they're being paid?

Why bust your arse when you can start with skimming the cream off the top?  If the owner says, "Heck no, that guy's never here!" or "What's this commission you speak of?" you've probably just gained a new premium account.  It's also a great way to get a lay of the land and begin figuring out who the major bulk players are in your area.  THEN you can start scouting the heavy foot traffic places that don't have bulk vending.

While my focus is on racks, it can be difficult to predict what places will be winners and what places will be losers. I use singles, doubles, and triples as "scout" machines. If I can land a location with a small machine, I give a couple of months and see how it goes. If it goes well, then I consider investing in a rack and move the "scout" machine to a new location.

Archived