Problem with AMS 39640

Got a call from one of my accounts, there vending machine machine appears to be 'off'.

So I went and checked the power cord, tried turning it off then on from the inside power switch, mode button... nothing seems to work.

There are two small fuses inside a black pull out compartment in the bottom but they both appear intact, no obvious signs of being blown.

Anyone have any other ideas of what might be the problem, what else I could try?

They did mention that they had 2 power outages before the machine quit, possible power surge to the machine..?

Got a call from one of my accounts, there vending machine machine appears to be 'off'.

So I went and checked the power cord, tried turning it off then on from the inside power switch, mode button... nothing seems to work.

There are two small fuses inside a black pull out compartment in the bottom but they both appear intact, no obvious signs of being blown.

Anyone have any other ideas of what might be the problem, what else I could try?

They did mention that they had 2 power outages before the machine quit, possible power surge to the machine..?

Did you check to see if the outlet was working?

Excellent question, golfdog.

I did make sure the outlet was working.

There is also a pop machine on location. I tried plugging that one into my machines outlet and it worked. Also tried my machine in the 'pop outlet' and still nada.

AJ,

Your fuse is only for the 24V output from the power transformer so it's dependent on having power from the power switch.  If this is a chilled machine and you have power into the machine, even if the fuse was blown you would hear the evaporator fan running that blows air up into the cabinet as it's on the un-switched side of the power.  If this is an un-chilled ambient machine then you should inspect the power switch for failure. 

Since it doesn't sound like you have anything on in the machine then look at the right rear of the cabinet from the inside where the power comes in.  You will see 3 wires plugged into a socket at that location.  Those are the power wires and it sounds like one has come loose from the socket or the socket is damaged. 

The damage can occur because AMS, in it's infinite wisdom, has a power cord like that on a computer with a 3 prong female end that plugs into the outside of the power socket on the back of the cabinet.  Because of this, the cord plug is exposed out the back of the cabinet and is subject to pushing on the socket if the machine is pushed against the wall.  AMS had a metal box that was to protect the socket but they are often removed.  Check that socket for good integrity and if it's cracked or broken you must replace it.  If you have a chiller it's a real b#@&h to get to the back of the cabinet to reach the socket so I'm hoping you don't have a chiller in this machine.  

If you do have a chiller and the socket was damaged by the machine being pushed against the wall, you need to remember that the machine has to be at least 3-4 inches away from the wall for good airflow or you will kill the compressor.  You must also be vigilant about cleaning the non-removable vent screen underneath the machine so the compressor can breath.

If you need a new socket send me a PM and I can get one to you.

AZ,

I don't know why I didn't think to ask you first.

The machine is not chilled so hopefully it is just the plug. If not I will contact you for the replacement part. I'm going to try and stop there later today. Right now I'm chasing quarters.

THANK YOU. AGAIN.

Absolutely right again, my friend.

Beyond me how it got unplugged from back of machine and further beyond me why the hell it's not hardwired in, but....

It works. Plugged her back in, put the fuse back and presto...

Thank you.

Archived