The Economy?

BluePlate

I did a few stops today and I was disappointed with some results, some of my numbers are not following history.

Auto Parts Store......  Usually does $25-$29/Month, did $10.50

Bar .....  Has done $7 to $15 in the past few months, did $1.25

Auto Dealer ......  Averages about $23/month, did $7.50

I did some "pass by" stops today - going to do my bigger route tomorrow, hope this is not across the board!  Anyone else seeing drops like these?  Could these be a victim of the economy?

I honestly do not think it has anything to do with the economy. It's like what was stated above. There are peaks and valleys in this business that I am learning. You would think that a gumball machine or a vending machine dispensing a handful of M&Ms would be something that people would lean more to when money  Posted Image is tight and they want a snack. It will be interesting to see how we all do this fall and winter as we move forward.

I think that if anyone that has a large route, 100+, were to run a trend analysis they would find that there is no trend for these large swings in location revenues. Unless you see the same effects across the board, there is no one thing that is affecting the revenues, but instead probably small things occurring locally. One person going on vacation can make a single location take a nose dive for a period. They might be the one emptying the MMP's for their dessert after lunch each day, but while on vacation they ate so well and put on a pound or four and decided to lay off of them when they returned. This can keep the pull down for a couple of weeks or more than a month.

Just a reminder.

We do have a revenue trend chart in the PLUS section that we have been tracking average monthly revenues. It is a nice colorful chart that updates each month using data that everyone is supplying via the revenue poll.

We have just about 1 years worth of data in that chart right now but unfortunately due to lack of participation, it is not very accurate. We were getting 10+ votes a few months ago but last month only received 3 votes out of over 900 members.

Until we get more participation, the results are a bit suspect but we were able to see a pattern evolve over the last year.

If you are a PLUS member and would like to participate, you can find the polls and graph here ==> http://www.vendiscuss.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=32 Try not to look at the actual dollar figures but the peaks and valleys on the chart itself. They are very telling.

I have received several suggestions on how to improve the system and implemented many of them over the last year. If you have one please let me know. I'm not ready to give up on this initiative just yet.

Steve

Sep to Oct are my slower months due to the loss of tourists.  :(

Nov to Dec are my worst months due to the arrival of the holidays.  :X

Jan to June are my good/above average months due to "everything getting back to normal".  :)

Jul to Aug are my best months due to the tourists and summer vacations. :D

Its been like clock work the last 5 years.

Jax

my vending business is doing fine in central Illinois.it seems that the economic woes have not fully reached this area .

the pizza shop was a bit slower at first when the markets started to go down probably because people were spooked but you can`t have great business all the tme no matter what you sell.

for now it is where it should be,businesswise again fortunately.

of course the last 3-4 months of the year are the best for the pizza biz.,and that should reflect on all of our racks/machines in this type of location.

imo it is a safer bet to place machines in pizza shops imo they will be less prone to go out of biz..

people are going xmas shopping and will need thier money for that,most wont go to applebees for example and get a meal for 2 that they are advertiseing right now for 20 bucks when they can spend that and feed a family at the pizza shop.

hopefully they will go get the food instead of getting it delivered so they can put thier change in our machines.

I found a decline in business in September but November was a little bit better. I am planning on a huge December because of increased foot traffic during the holidays at Blockbuster videos. The first week of December I will make sure every machine is filled to the top with good sellers. I started with my first district of BBV's at the end of last January so I can start tracking overlap to prior year sales soon.

I personally think that the economy is having an affect on my business. When you think about each type of account you have, you can soon figure out that customers are not coming as often as they did before.

Restaurants - Less going out to eat

Oil Changes - Less driving=less mileage=less oil changes

Movie Rentals - Staying home, watching TV instead of renting

Paint store - Home improvements down

Construction type stores - Home building down

The list goes on and on.

Gary

Like Steve said above, please come add your monthly average to the mix. It only takes 30 seconds to click on your average pull. I had a $10-$12 stop drop to .25 this past month. I would call that a significant drop. This is in the breakroom of the largest graphic company in town. They pretty much made all the political signs for the canidates so you would think it to be a better then aver month. Now they will be laying off some of the help and I don't thinl it will get much worse then a quarter for a month but we will see.

Like Steve said above, please come add your monthly average to the mix. It only takes 30 seconds to click on your average pull. I had a $10-$12 stop drop to .25 this past month. I would call that a significant drop. This is in the breakroom of the largest graphic company in town. They pretty much made all the political signs for the canidates so you would think it to be a better then aver month. Now they will be laying off some of the help and I don't thinl it will get much worse then a quarter for a month but we will see.

Yeah..........really!  It only takes a minute to punch in your monthly average. Posted Image  If you have Ventrak, that makes it easier to find a monthly average.  Come on gang.  Git wit da program!  Posted Image 

caserri wrote:

Just a reminder.

I have received several suggestions on how to improve the system and implemented many of them over the last year. If you have one please let me know. I'm not ready to give up on this initiative just yet.

Steve

I would suggest that you keep the monthly poll open during the following month, so some of us "Old Fartz" like me have time to remember that there is something we have to do. I missed it again for October, damn hope I don't forget to wake up one morning. ;)

TBird -

Thanks for my second chuckle of the day. OK it was more of a belly laugh. I'm just envisioning you telling everyone to get wit da program in that special NYC way.

Outlander -

That is something I can do. I will leave each month open for 45 days. Just remember to vote on the appropriate month.

Steve

Blue Plate,

Usually we see a slight drop in Sept/Oct I attribute to the costs of getting kids back in school and the money spent on summer vacations. This year though, we have slightly increased in most regions.

In some ways, the higher prices get, the better value a 25c vend becomes. Don't know if this is the main reason, but after people got over the initial shock of gas prices about a year and a half ago, my business went on normally. I'm now looking for an upsurge as people enjoy the extra cash flow from gas prices coming down.

The one negative I see is current unemployment trends. This could especially hit certain vendors hard where a particular service area is very dependent on one company or industry for employment.

My personal impression is that most people will get a slight "bump" up from the lower gas prices. I usually use these bumps up in income to reinvest in my business or other investments.

Hopefully with lower gas prices we will get lower toy capsule prices.

Mark