how many bulk machines to go full time?

sweetshelp

Kristi,

Much like yourself I am new in this business as well. I see you've bought a lot of machines. I have doubles and singles. Right now I recently did my first service and am averaging 14 per head. I think the national average is 7 per head. 7 per head less expenses would be a good place to start. I usually see COG(cost of goods sold) on here running around 30% These are just round numbers to get a general idea of where you would need to be. Good luck to you and welcome to the community.

I only do this part time to get extra spending money to support my hobbies. Every one is different, how much do you need to live on each month is something to look at. I have no intention on going full time because I have a good career with a top company right now. Perhaps in 15 years I will do it as a early retirement supplement, but I would need in the area of 300 bulk machines to go full time. With 150 machines placed in decent locations you should gross about $3000 a month. That being $20 per machine average per location. You might want to look at expanding into rack and or full line down the road. My best producer last month was a triple in a very small body shop with maybe 6 or so workers. M&M, BK 1430ct and Reeses', got $31 for the month. I also had a machine doing $12-$15 monthly average drop to .25. So there are ups and downs.

Hello, check this thread out http://www.vendiscuss.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=2535&forum_id=1

This covers what you were talking about with trying to go full time, and you can work out a formula by plugging in what you want to make play with the variables and come up how many heads and locations you need to make full-time.  I used $100,000 per year net as my example.

I think it depends on the model you pursue - singles, doubles, charity, commission, racks, cranes, amusement, etc.

IMO, to go full time you need...

1000+ single head gumball charity locations or

500+ double/triple head candy/gum/toy charity locations or

180+ commission toy rack locations (full size 5/7 heads)

After reading Lukes post, it appears that there is another model - I would call it the mini rack model. I don't have an opinion on that model yet.

Also keep in mind that if you do charity, the turnover will be much higher. My experience is 30% need replaced due to poor performance, 20% lost due to being evicted, kicked out or given the ole boot and 10% lost due to theft, vandals or business closings. Many new vendors (including myself in my younger days) don't factor this into their locating equation since they think that a machine will just stay on location for ever - trust me, it doesn't.

Jax

Kristi,

A fellow that I once read about frequently answered many questions with a question. Not being nearly as smart, I'll try a suggestion.

You're ready to go "Full Time" once you're reached the ability to pay for your needs without fear, and some of your wants as possible. Allow yourself sufficient money in that equation to grow your business, and to support yourself if unforeseen calamity presents itself.

For numbers, and types of machines and operations ... every answer above which you've received above was well though out and their answers are all realistic. May you do well.

Bob