Failure to vend on 8 select can Dixie-Narco- help needed

I'm new to vending and need help troubleshooting a vending issue. I have a working Dixie-Narco 8 select, single price can machine which was operational until it was moved. Now the machine will not vend. With the advice of some local guys I checked the following and they work: The dollar bill acceptor takes bills. The changer is also working. The motors for the selections are also working. I did find a white plug with four wires that go into the power supply that was burned. I replaced the square plug with a crimp plug individually for each wire and connected them back together. The power supply has 4 wires. A red and blue wire that were connected to one set of white wires from the door. A white and black wire that were connected to the other set of white wires from the door. Does it matter which wire is connected to which? I matched the wires correctly meaning the wh/blk went to the wh/wh set and the other wh/wh when to the red/blue set. I did not cross the two sets with each other. Do the individual wires have to be connected to a certain wire from the power supply? If so do I follow the wires all the way up the door to see what they are connected to in order to match them up correctly? I tried switching them from one side to the other and still the machine did not vend. Is this my problem not having the wires connected to the correct match? Is there another issue causing my machine not to vend once money is deposited? Any help would be great.

What you're referring to as the power supply and the wires you're describing are the light bulb ballast and the light harness itself.  These have nothing to do with the vend circuit.  I sounds like the machine will take money and/or make change but not vend.  Look for a motor not at home.  Pull the motor cover off (be careful and unplug the machine as there is 110v everywhere) and look closely at the motors.  There are two switch arms that run on the edge of the plastic timing cams.  The proper home position for each motor is when the short switch arm is resting in a notch of the plastic cam and the long arm is not in the notch. 

If you find one motor which has both switches in a notch you probably have a gummed up brake on that motor or a broken brake and the motor should be replaced.  If you find a motor with both switch arms on the outside edge of the cam with neither in a notch then that column is jammed or the motor is seized.

If the motors all look fine then check the control panel of selections switches and make sure no wire connectors have come loose from a switch.

Thank you for the information. I did not realize the power box on the bottom left of the machine was only the power supply for the light tubes.

Previously I checked all the motors and they vend correctly. The machine was working and dispensing for about 6 months before it was moved to another location and replaced with a 10 select. Now at the new location it will not vend. I filled the machine with cans and rotated each vend column by advancing the individual motor to load the cans into the lower carriage. But cannot get the machine to vend once coins or bills are deposited. I will go back today and check to see if there are any loose wires on a selection button. If a wire is loose would this cause the whole machine not to vend?

Yes, a loose wire will cause that because this is a single price machine and the vend circuit goes through every selection switch and vend motor switch.  Any loose wire or motor switch not at home will open the vend circuit and prevent and coin acceptance.

Unplug vendor and then plug back in. On selection 1 put motor switches short and long in notch on cam. Deposit coins to vend price. Number 1 should run now without pushing selection switch being pressed. If it does then the problem is in the selection panel. If it doesn't then you have possibly a bad coin mech, bad vend relay or  a connection on a cluster switch that isn't making a connection. Hard to explain but the coin mech can accept change and set credit. But it also has to keep circuit closed to allow a vend. Also credit relay has to stay energized to allow a vend. A good cheater cord will identify this rather fast.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived