Dixie Narco 168 will sometimes vend 2 cans at a time

dccd

Hello all! I bought a Dixie Narco 168 / 99-6 a couple years ago and have been using it since. Well, I am now having a problem. The fan motor started squealing so I replaced it with a good used one for the time being. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but since then, only one of my single column can slots has been giving me trouble. It won't vend one time, then the next time it'll vend two soda cans and do the same thing again and again. Is there an adjustment? Do I have the cans wrong? Did I accidentally hit some type of switch? Any help is greatly appreciated!! I need to get this machine working right for the busy season which is now!! Thanks again!

Think I figured it out. The shear pin was broken off behind the motor to the rotor (?). Didn't have one handy, so I used the end to a broken drill bit. I'm needing to get the correct size and pin. I believe it's a 5/32nd. Can anyone confirm that? Thanks!

There are so many different reasons for what you are experiencing. Due to the age of this vendor the first thing I would check is to see if the motor is coasting by taking motor cover off and vending the column and watch for the motor to see if it is stopping in the proper place. While doing this also listen to see if you can hear any sounds like metal grinding as the cup turns. If it stops in its proper place with the single switch in notch and the long arm switch on top unload the column and see if the side shim is missing on the left side. 

When vending, is the can nearest you not falling? Or is that the dry vend and then both fall on second vend? If the second vend isn't dropping then most likely it is a bent cup. There were 2 different sizes of cups on D/N. One long and one short. The easiest way to know which one you have is if you have a back spacer that can be moved back and forth then you have the long cup. If there isn't a back spacer then you have a short cup. 

Thanks for the response! Last night Before I got your post, I decided to dig in and try to figure out the problem. I noticed it span free and it didn't even turn when I put in money and made the selection. It didn't dispense at all. I took off the front motor and the shear pin was broken off. I used a roll pin and it twisted it and got jammed. I found an old broken drill bit and used that for the time being. What size do I need? I figured I need a 5/32nd. But knowing the correct size would be great! It smashed one after but I think the paddle caught it wrong. So far working good.

I have the factory pins if you want one but your hole is probably enlarged due to the original damaged pin so you'll need to replace the motor. PM me if you need a motor for it.

AZVendor, thanks. I had to punch out the inside piece that was left. For some reason, only the outsides were broken. And they must of broke at different times since it was still vending every other one. What'll just the pins cost me?

$2 each but I doubt that they will stay in the motor shaft.  If you want to try them then I can send you as many as you want to try.  Just send me a PM.  You should also check for your rotor being bent.  Turn it until the leading edge is next to the right side wall and see if the edge and the wall are parallel to each other.  If not then the rotor is bent and has to be replaced.

I'll let you know for sure tomorrow on what I decide. Thanks! Another question I had, are these machines supposed to be somewhat noisy when the compressor is running?

I had also checked for a bent rotor and it's fine. Thanks so much for the info! If ever I need parts, I'll be sure to send you a pm to see what you've got!

As compressors age they will oftentimes get noisier but this can also happen if a machine isn't moved carefully and the compressor is jarred.  This can cause one of the three springs supporting the internal rotor to come off and makes the rotor unbalanced.  The only way to correct a noisy compressor is to replace it.

I have see those noisy compressors last forever, If the customer is complaining replace it but keep it for a noisy location like a machine shop or outside. Also you could swap it with a good one you have that is in one of these places. There isn't a good way of knowing for sure how long a compressor will last. It is just the luck of the draw.

Archived