Which location is preferable?

Assuming all other variable are the same would you rather a 50 employee factory open 4 days per week or a 35 employee factory open 5 days per week?

I'll probably place both eventually but I have one combo machine that needs a new home immediately.

Assuming all other variable are the same would you rather a 50 employee factory open 4 days per week or a 35 employee factory open 5 days per week?

I'll probably place both eventually but I have one combo machine that needs a new home immediately.

Do the math, it's 200 employee days versus 175.  The 50 employees is better and they're probably doing a 10 hour shift so they get an extra break period each day.

from my experiences, there are no guarantees, but only probabilities. It's more probable that the 50 employee place is better, but ya never know. Best bet is to try and get them both if you have the opportunity.

from my experiences, there are no guarantees, but only probabilities. It's more probable that the 50 employee place is better, but ya never know. Best bet is to try and get them both if you have the opportunity.

Yep, I'd put two full size machines in the larger space and experiment with the combo in the smaller one - I do not want combo only accounts as their profit potential sucks.

Moondog,

I agree I've inherited a fair amount of equipment so I've been moving things around to try and match up the combo's to the slowest accounts. What do you consider the USI side by side machine? It's not a full sized but I tend to like the machine for small/medium accounts as space wise it's agreeable for the customers that don't have/want 2 full sized machines but the capacity is much better than most combo's out there so I've found they can still be profitable for me to operate.

Jerry,

I agree I'm doing route based operations for 8 years I'm just new to vending the so the metrics for evaluating potential placements I'm still learning so this forum has been a great resource. I do plan to place both but I'm still shopping for the right refurbished machine so one site will wait a few weeks but I have to get a machine out of a sure this week so I wanted to make sure to put it in the better of the two locations.

Moondog,

I agree I've inherited a fair amount of equipment so I've been moving things around to try and match up the combo's to the slowest accounts. What do you consider the USI side by side machine? It's not a full sized but I tend to like the machine for small/medium accounts as space wise it's agreeable for the customers that don't have/want 2 full sized machines but the capacity is much better than most combo's out there so I've found they can still be profitable for me to operate.

Jerry,

I agree I'm doing route based operations for 8 years I'm just new to vending the so the metrics for evaluating potential placements I'm still learning so this forum has been a great resource. I do plan to place both but I'm still shopping for the right refurbished machine so one site will wait a few weeks but I have to get a machine out of a sure this week so I wanted to make sure to put it in the better of the two locations.

Any time you open a new account, you take on the responsibility of maintaining that account.  Small machines like combos make it very hard to do this profitably.  If an account won't warrant a full size set up then you don't want it.  Sell off any combos you have unless you can use them in a satellite situation where you're already servicing full size machines elsewhere on the property. It's hard to say whether those USI slave units are truly combos or not.  Walta has a good rule of thumb for this - if the account yields less than $100 per service cycle you can't afford to service it.

I was told by a local machine supplier that you can figure revenue pretty easily:

Weekly Revenue = Employees Per Day * Price * Days Open Per Week

Now if I were selling Coke at $.75 per can, I could figure that the 50-employee account would do about $150 a week and the 35-employee place would do you about $131.25.  Keep in mind that some places will have visitors and employees that drink WAY more soda, so you could end up better off than that.  I would definitely go with the 50-employee place if you can get your foot in the door, but I would probably be hesitant to do it with a combo.  Keep in mind you need to balance your sales load with the type of machines you have so you're not always at that one place.  A good investment will take you far. 

I was told by a local machine supplier that you can figure revenue pretty easily:

Weekly Revenue = Employees Per Day * Price * Days Open Per Week

Now if I were selling Coke at $.75 per can, I could figure that the 50-employee account would do about $150 a week and the 35-employee place would do you about $131.25.  Keep in mind that some places will have visitors and employees that drink WAY more soda, so you could end up better off than that.  I would definitely go with the 50-employee place if you can get your foot in the door, but I would probably be hesitant to do it with a combo.  Keep in mind you need to balance your sales load with the type of machines you have so you're not always at that one place.  A good investment will take you far. 

I agree that the 50 person account would justify bigger equipment up front but the USI slave combos are handy for checking the viability of a questionable location because most people can move them by themselves, but if the location pans out then you replace them with something bigger to keep your service cycle manageable.

I don't think I have ever had a drink machine do that kind of money each week using your formula. Most vendors hope for $50 a week per machine.  I think a more realistic formula might be $50 a week per 75 to 80 emp.  blue collar   $50 every two weeks for office

It has been my experience that the people working 10 hour days get one extra break each day.  Looking at the opportunities to purchase from the machines the 4 day would be better.  If you have a Asian population they are way to wise to use vending machines, so check your employee population to see how it breaks out.

Thanks those are useful number to know. The combo's I have placed generate over $100 per service cycle so my plan is to leave them till I recoup some of the route cost then replace them with full sized. My route is only 15 stops so it's manageable for me to go every 10 days but long term it I need need full sized.

The USI slave combo's average $200 per cycle but you hit it that I like to try them first cause they are so easy to move. Also two of my accounts don't have doors big enough to get a full sized machine through or involve stairs so the slave setups were useful in those situations.

I've been arbitrarily using 10 days as my cut off point for service. Anything more frequent either they accept two machines or I drop the account. Is 10 days to frequent?

Archived