Electrical/ Cooling Problem

btuck32

I recently purchased a used AMS VCF 39" glass front with Sensit 1 and a refrigeration deck.  When purchased, it cooled down to 39 degrees.  I needed it for a location that is not air conditioned.  I delivered it and set it up.  When I checked back with the location, it was up to 80 degrees.  It was cooling, but not very well.  The fans are both working and the evaporator is getting cold.  However, when the compressor kicks on, the lights flicker off on the machine.  It runs a couple minutes before kicking off.  Sometimes, the display will read "low voltage".  I am pretty sure there is nothing else large on the same circuit.    Is it possible there is something wrong with the compressor or a relay of some kind?  I only have a vew soda and snack machines, and this issue is new to me.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You should check the circuit the machine is plugged into with a voltmeter to see if the voltage drops below 105v when the compressor tries to start or runs.  Anything below 105v will not be enough to run the unit.  If this is the case then the building needs to rectify the issue with their wiring or provide you a new 15A minimum circuit.  If the voltage remains above 105v then your problem is probably a bad compressor.  I might start but if it turns off while the condenser fan is running then the compressor is pulling too much current internally and must be replaced.

I should also point out the obvious things to check that can't be assumed.  You must have a clean intake screen on the bottom of the machine.  This screen isn't easily removed so you clean it in place and it's always overlooked.  Keep the machine 4-6 inches away from the wall and then, if you haven't done this, pull the compressor housing off so you can see if the condenser is clogged with dirt and whether the fan runs freely.

If there is another outlet close take a good extension cord like a 12 to 14 gauge and unplug compressor from inside. Plug into extension cord and see if the compressor stays on. That will eliminate any electronics in vendor of shutting it down. If you haven't taken off the cover and checked the condenser for lint etc now would be a good time. The cover comes off easy but reinstalling it can be a little tricky to make sure it is back in place correctly. Make sure lines are in place at the back. Make sure the condenser fan motor is turning up to speed. That fan motor is a bear to change. Also you will want to pull bottom tray to give you more room to work. The harness is long enough you won't have to disconnect it. You can just pull out and slide off to the side. 

This is a handy tool and not expensive

41hxYT7QaCL.jpg

Thanks guys! That gives me a few more places to start and get it narrowed down. I even ordered one of those load testers. I've needed something like that a bunchif times but didn't know what to look for.

I have not checked the screen on the bottom so I will do that first. However, my main fear is that I damaged the compressor during transportation.

Thanks guys! That gives me a few more places to start and get it narrowed down. I even ordered one of those load testers. I've needed something like that a bunchif times but didn't know what to look for.

I have not checked the screen on the bottom so I will do that first. However, my main fear is that I damaged the compressor during transportation.

Archived